Home digital assistants like Amazon Echo and Google Assistant are designed to listen and respond to conversations to provide better service. Here's how to review what's been recorded and how to delete them.
The directions here are for Alexa and Google Assistant. Directions for Cortana and Siri can be found here:
Delete Your Voice Recordings from Alexa, Google Assistant, Cortana and Siri
Recently Amazon Echo recorded a conversation and then sent it to a contact. It's not likely to happen often, or to you, but it might be a good time to check on what conversations Alexa has recorded and delete any that you don't want Amazon to keep.
You can review and delete conversations from Alexa using the mobile app:
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone and tap the menu button to open the sidebar.
- Select Settings
- Select History (here are the audio recordings retained by your Amazon device)
- Select a recording
- Select Delete for a recording
This is good for removing individual recordings. If you want to delete the entire catalog of requests, go to the Manage My Content and Devices page, select Your Devices, click on the Alexa device, choose Manage Voice Recordings and choose delete everything option. If you have more than one device you'll have to repeat this for each one.
To verify that all Alexa conversations and requests have been deleted use the Alexa mobile app:
- Open the Alexa app
- Choose Settings
- Choose History-View Requests to Alexa
The Alexa Request History should be empty. If there are additional devices listed you'll need to clear each one.
How to delete all Google Assistant history:
- Go to your Google Account's Assistant Activity page. If you haven't already, sign in to your Google Account.
- Near "My Activity," click the three dot menu and choose More
- Select Delete activity by
- Under "Delete by date," choose All time.
- Choose Delete and then OK.
- Choose Delete to confirm
How to delete a specific Google Assistant activity or item:
You can delete an individual item, like something you asked your Assistant to remember.
- Go to your Google Account's Assistant Activity page. You'll need to be signed in to your Google Account.
- Find the item you want to delete.
- Click the three dot menu and choose More
- Select Delete
You can find more Tech Treats here.
Please rate this article: