Rogue-Like games has an ASCII display or tile based graphics and the game world is randomly generated. These games have little focus on storyline and the player may choose to do whatever he wants. The interaction is usually turn-based, and the character must pay for your mistakes and choices, sometimes at the cost of his life. They are usually dungeon crawl type and provide immense replayability value.
You are an adventurer, seeking your fortune in the open world, investigating ruins and mysteries in search of riches and powers.
Play as one of many unique races and classes in the lore-filled world of Eyal, exploring random dungeons, facing challenging battles, and developing characters with your own tailored mix of abilities and powers. With a modern graphical and customisable interface, streamlined mechanics and deep, challenging combat, ToME offers engaging roguelike gameplay.
It has diverse species and many different character backgrounds to choose from, deep tactical game-play, sophisticated magic, religion and skill systems, and a grand variety of monsters to fight and run from, making each game unique and challenging.
Dwarf Fortress ( Site | Download)
Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world. The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations spanning centuries of detailed history, hundreds of towns, caves and regions with various wildlife. he world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording historical events and tracking changes. Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain. Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
Other great games in this category:
- Spotlight: King Arthur's Gold: Think the creative aspects of Minecraft, plus the fortress-building mechanic of Dwarf Fortress, plus the strategy of Age of Empires 2, plus the fast-paced class-based craziness of Team Fortress 2... with all the unnecessary elements trimmed off, wrapped up in some cross-platform goodness and sprinkled with tasty, tasty pixels. ( Site| Download)
- DoomRL: Doom, the Roguelike is a fast and furious coffee-break Roguelike game, that is heavily inspired by the popular FPS game Doom by ID Software. ( Site | Download)
- ADOM: You control a fictional character to succeed in a difficult quest, exploring previously undiscovered tunnels and dungeons, fight hideous monsters, uncover long forgotten secrets, and find treasures of all kind. ( Site | Download)
- AngBand: You take the role of an adventurer, exploring a deep dungeon, fighting monsters, and acquiring the best weaponry you can, in preparation for a final battle with Morgoth, the Lord of Darkness. ( Site | Download)
- NetHack: Falcon's Eye: Falcon's Eye is a mouse-driven interface for NetHack (one of the oldest games) that enhances the visuals, audio and accessibility of the game, yet retains all the original gameplay and game features. ( Site | Download)
- Desktop Dungeons: A quick-play roguelike puzzle game that gives you roughly 10 minutes of dungeon-crawling action per serving with randomly generated dungeons are different every time you play. ( Site | Download)
In a RPG, character development is the main driving gameplay mechanic. Typically one or more characters are created and shaped by the player, then embark on a series of encounters that increase the inventory, wealth, or combat statistics of said character(s). In turn-based RPG, fights take place in turns pausing each time during every turn. It makes the battles slower, but more strategic.
Set in a new world, with new characters, new graphics and a rewritten game engine, TSE-2 sets out to improve upon the game experience of the original in every possible way. The game has an extensive plot spanning nine distinct chapters. Also difficulty levels were introduced! The real-time combat system, interface, character control, combat speed options were improved to a great extent.
RuneSword is a fantasy role-playing system that allows you to create your own adventures and play those made by others. The combat is turn based, played strategically and the game shows actual die rolls or modifiers during the combat.
You could create unique races, spells, monsters, magic items and the game allows a lot of scope for customization. Choose to explore the world, quest and fight monsters. The sequel adds an mp3 soundtrack, full motion video support, completely new interface, new races, 40+ skills, 50+ spells and skinnable interfaces.
Dark Disciples I and II( Site| Download)
DD2 has a completely different story compared to it's predecessor, and takes place across 4 continents and having around 130 levels. You are free to explore around the world with tons of side missions, secret areas and off the beaten track oddities to discover. The sequel improved upon the original with respect to the skill system, monster AI with proper abilities, adding missile combat, and new mp3 quality music.
- Other great games in this category:
In a Real-time RPG, players create or take on a character represented by various statistics, which may even include a developed persona. The player then has direct control over all his characters and as opposed to turn based RPG's, the game doesn't pause during action, and fights happens in real-time. There is heavy emphasis on action than strategy.
The game tells the story of a world destroyed by a conflict between robots and their human masters. Play as Tux in a quest to save the world from the murderous rebel bots who know no mercy. You get to choose which path you wish to follow, and freedom of choice is everywhere in the game. The game features real time action and role-playing with rich dialogues and offers 12 hours of fun.
You play a Holyspirit, which is an old corrupted soul who has been enlisted in God's army.
You must liberate the country from the evil who has been unleashed against the living ones.
The game has 4 playable characters with a minimum 1 hour per character. There are 61 items for you to get hold of, and 20 different monsters to fight.
FLARE( Site | Download)
Please rate this article: