View Single Post
Old 03. Feb 2019, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Remah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melita-s View Post
This ISO idea is one of my brain waves. Considering the number of replies I received, this doesn't look like such a great idea after all, does it!!
You got some great advice. This topic has a high proportion of quality responses that are short and too the point. So I enjoyed reading it.

Melita, your idea would work if you swapped "Macrium Reflect" for ImgBurn and "image" for ISO.

Quote:
I have downloaded Reflect. Is it possible to create an image of my operating system while it is running, using Reflect. The idea is to have a ready-made image with all the downloaded programs and some other personal files and folders for re-installation when necessary, leaving less work to be done when starting with a clean installation. Is this possible with Reflect?
The main reason that your idea won't work is that you are using meaning 1. and ImgBurn always uses meaning 3. See below where I've explained in some detail so it should be clear to everyone.

The second issue is that ImgBurn has no mechanism to interact with the Windows Shadow Copy service to copy files while they are being used by Windows.

Meanings of "ISO Image"
There are at least three different uses of the term "ISO image".

1. An ISO image is technically "a disk image of an optical disc", such as a CD or DVD, but people erroneously use the term for an image of any other disk/drive even a flash drive. This misuse is slowly diversifying over time as it gets applied to more types of devices.

2. However, even the correct term "ISO image" is not specific enough to implement because, as Wikipedia will tell you:
Quote:
There is no standard definition for ISO image files. ...
Since there is no standard defining the ISO disc image file format, the term "ISO image" is sometimes used in a broader sense to refer to any disc image file of an optical disc, independent of the format it uses.
3. The most specific meanings are qualified by a specific formal standard for file system format:
  • ISO 9660 - for CDs
  • ISO 9660 enhancements like Joliet - again for CDs
  • UDF (Universal disk format) ISO/IEC 13346 and ECMA-167 - for DVDs

I listed the specific meanings in that order because ImgBurn lists them in that sequence in the Image Options:
  • Data Type: mode 1 or mode 2
  • File System: ISO-9600; ISO9660 with enhancements from Joliet and/or UDF; and UDF
  • UDF Revision, if UDF is the file system.