Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   System (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/system/)
-   -   Windows or Linux? (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/system/15088-windows-or-linux.html)

Resung 23. Mar 2015 07:34 PM

Windows or Linux?
 
Like most my computers have all come pre-loaded with windows, and I've never used linux. However I have spoken to people who swear by it. So for someone ignorant like me, what are the pros and cons of having a linux OS?

Anupam 23. Mar 2015 08:00 PM

Good question. Many people will have different views on it though :).

Pros of using Linux:
------------------------
Free OS.

Many choices and variety to choose from. No need to install before using. Just download the live CD, boot from it, and experience the OS. If you like it, install it on the hard drive. If not, next to another.

A very secure OS. Does not even require installing an antivirus. Therefore, less tension about security.

Can be customized easily.

Fast boot and shutdown.

More points can be added by those who have been using Linux.

Cons of using Linux:
-------------------------
Being a different OS from Windows, many things will be different, and therefore, a learning curve will be involved, right from installation. Although, the basic operations remain the same. So, if you want to use Linux, you will have to have patience, and give time to learn it.

The many choices and variety to choose from can be a disadvantage in itself, as for a newbie, and even for some old ones, the sheer number of choices can be confusing.

Lack of drivers for Linux means that it will be trouble getting some hardware to work.

You might have trouble finding software for some purpose, for which it was easily available in Windows. You might have to search around.

If you run into problems, it might take a while to search for solutions. Depending on the problem, you may find the solution easily, or have to search around a lot.

Remah 23. Mar 2015 08:31 PM

Software written primarily for Linux often works differently than software written primarily for Windows. There are different conventions, defaults and "standards" used by developers on each platform.

If you run Linux-sourced programs on Windows you can see some of the advantages and disadvantages of shifting to Linux such as:
- Some people struggle with the differences in the user interface. It was a major issue with applications like GIMP which has since improved its Windows features.
+ Some people prefer programs that don't store configuration information in the Windows registry.

A pro of Linux is that the transition to it from Windows can be gradual and you don't have to get rid of Windows unless you no longer have any need for it. For example:
  • As a first step towards Linux, it could be worthwhile running software written primarily for Linux that also runs on Windows. You can see if the applications suit you and do what you want.
  • A second step, which is a pro of using Linux, could be to dual boot your Windows computer by installing Linux as well. Then you can run both.

MaikL 23. Mar 2015 08:36 PM

I'm not a fanboy who likes to hype one up and bash the other, I happily used XP until it's demise, then I tried several Linux distributions before settling on Linux Mint.

If you've got an up-to-date version of Windows and are happy with it then why not stick with it?

One area where Windows may be the better choice is gaming, although Linux is coming on strong in that field.

If you're into video editing, or image editing, and are accustomed to using e.g. Power Director or PaintShopPro then what's available for Linux may seem a little disappointing in comparison.

Otherwise, you might find that pretty much what you use on Windows is available for and works pretty much the same in Linux.

So, if you're not a power user in any particular field but just an average user (whatever one of those is) you'll probably find there's a version of Linux that suits you just fine. You'll still need to protect your browser with Ad-Block Plus, NoScript, etc, but you can forget all those endless security programs you need on Windows.

If you want to sample Linux then, as Anupam says, try some LiveCDs. You can do most things from a LiveCD, just bear in mind an installed version will be quicker.

MidnightCowboy 24. Mar 2015 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remah (Post 109258)
[*]A second step, which is a pro of using Linux, could be to dual boot your Windows computer by installing Linux as well. Then you can run both.[/LIST]

I would suggest this is definitely the way to go unless you have a spare machine. This will enable you to run both systems together for an accurate comparison based on the same hardware specs. Also, if you decide to stick with Windows it's a simple operation to restore the Windows boot loader to your MBR and remove the Linux installation.

There are already plenty of threads here and in other places with opinions as to which Linux is "best".:) I would advise first to browse our screenshot threads (working from the last page forwards for examples of the latest releases) to see which you like the look of and then try out a few using a live session first. Bear in mid that some of those featured in the screenshots have already been customized but it only takes a matter of minutes to radically change the default look.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...k-like-33.html
http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...-links-10.html

Resung 27. Mar 2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 109256)
Good question. Many people will have different views on it though :).

Pros of using Linux:
------------------------
Free OS.

Many choices and variety to choose from. No need to install before using. Just download the live CD, boot from it, and experience the OS. If you like it, install it on the hard drive. If not, next to another.

A very secure OS. Does not even require installing an antivirus. Therefore, less tension about security.

Can be customized easily.

Fast boot and shutdown.

More points can be added by those who have been using Linux.

Cons of using Linux:
-------------------------
Being a different OS from Windows, many things will be different, and therefore, a learning curve will be involved, right from installation. Although, the basic operations remain the same. So, if you want to use Linux, you will have to have patience, and give time to learn it.

The many choices and variety to choose from can be a disadvantage in itself, as for a newbie, and even for some old ones, the sheer number of choices can be confusing.

Lack of drivers for Linux means that it will be trouble getting some hardware to work.

You might have trouble finding software for some purpose, for which it was easily available in Windows. You might have to search around.

If you run into problems, it might take a while to search for solutions. Depending on the problem, you may find the solution easily, or have to search around a lot.

Actually, that's a great point. Booting from a CD or USB doesn't require a lot of time or energy investment, and would be an easy way to test it. Less security worries seem good too, and i stick to fairly basic software in most cases, which i assume linux would also have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remah (Post 109258)
Software written primarily for Linux often works differently than software written primarily for Windows. There are different conventions, defaults and "standards" used by developers on each platform.

If you run Linux-sourced programs on Windows you can see some of the advantages and disadvantages of shifting to Linux such as:
- Some people struggle with the differences in the user interface. It was a major issue with applications like GIMP which has since improved its Windows features.
+ Some people prefer programs that don't store configuration information in the Windows registry.

A pro of Linux is that the transition to it from Windows can be gradual and you don't have to get rid of Windows unless you no longer have any need for it. For example:
  • As a first step towards Linux, it could be worthwhile running software written primarily for Linux that also runs on Windows. You can see if the applications suit you and do what you want.
  • A second step, which is a pro of using Linux, could be to dual boot your Windows computer by installing Linux as well. Then you can run both.

Dual booting sounds doable as well, something to bear in mind. I'll have a look at GIMP as well and see how i like it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaikL (Post 109259)
I'm not a fanboy who likes to hype one up and bash the other, I happily used XP until it's demise, then I tried several Linux distributions before settling on Linux Mint.

If you've got an up-to-date version of Windows and are happy with it then why not stick with it?

One area where Windows may be the better choice is gaming, although Linux is coming on strong in that field.

If you're into video editing, or image editing, and are accustomed to using e.g. Power Director or PaintShopPro then what's available for Linux may seem a little disappointing in comparison.

Otherwise, you might find that pretty much what you use on Windows is available for and works pretty much the same in Linux.

So, if you're not a power user in any particular field but just an average user (whatever one of those is) you'll probably find there's a version of Linux that suits you just fine. You'll still need to protect your browser with Ad-Block Plus, NoScript, etc, but you can forget all those endless security programs you need on Windows.

If you want to sample Linux then, as Anupam says, try some LiveCDs. You can do most things from a LiveCD, just bear in mind an installed version will be quicker.

First major issue i see that might be a problem. I'm not a huge gamer, but i do like games and usually have a few on the go at any time. Something to think about i guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy (Post 109269)
There are already plenty of threads here and in other places with opinions as to which Linux is "best".:) I would advise first to browse our screenshot threads (working from the last page forwards for examples of the latest releases) to see which you like the look of and then try out a few using a live session first. Bear in mid that some of those featured in the screenshots have already been customized but it only takes a matter of minutes to radically change the default look.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...k-like-33.html
http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...-links-10.html

Thanks for the links, i'll have a look. :)

What i'm hearing from all these is, apart from the different interface and usage, linux is faster and more secure, but has less software options and isn't as good for games. Sound about right?

MidnightCowboy 27. Mar 2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resung (Post 109419)

What i'm hearing from all these is, apart from the different interface and usage, linux is faster and more secure, but has less software options and isn't as good for games. Sound about right?

Yes, that's a pretty fair summary although Windows is really only less secure because of how it is used.

There are plenty of Linux software options for general users but some business orientated requirements and stuff like high-end video editing are better served by Windows software.

Games too are generally better served by the Windows platform although Linux is catching up all the time.

MidnightCowboy 16. May 2015 04:49 AM

Comment posted by tlcmd on 15th May - moved from main site.

Now y'all know why I run a Linux Operating System!!

MidnightCowboy 16. May 2015 04:51 AM

Response to comment from tlcmd posted by Faziri on 15th May - moved from main site.

Enjoy your relative lack of software for daily shenanigans. Linux is admittedly a much better system technically, but it still just can't compete with Windows for daily leisurely use. Not to mention that even to programmers like me it gets really irritating having to muck around in a terminal all the time and always having to deal with software that just plainly stops working at random times (*cough* X server *cough*)

MidnightCowboy 16. May 2015 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy (Post 111587)
Response to comment from tlcmd posted by Faziri on 15th May - moved from main site.

[I]Enjoy your relative lack of software for daily shenanigans. Linux is admittedly a much better system technically, but it still just can't compete with Windows for daily leisurely use.

How, maybe you can give some examples?

I use Linux all the time for both site admin and personal work and have no need to reboot into Windows unless I'm checking out a Windows related problem raised by a member.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.