Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Debating Chamber > Multimedia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05. Dec 2011, 01:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,347
Default

Take your time B Carson, no rush.

We will able to offer help in a better way, if you are able to give us better information. That helps in understanding the problem. Bits and pieces don't often help much.

You say you got a second hand computer with a new hard disk. That hard disk will be empty, and you will have to install XP on it, in order for the second computer to boot from it. So, do you intend to do that? You want to use the new hard disk on the second computer?

If the matter of the new hard disk is not related to this thread, and is a separate issue, then you can start a new thread for it, so that we can have the discussion there. But, if its related to the matter on hand, then we can continue discussion here.

Take your time.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2011, 08:21 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Default

4goTTen21, Anupam and MidnightCowboy :

Thanks your comments. I will try to reply in order to the points raised.

* Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3. H.D is 80 GB.
C Partition : Total Size 19.5 GB. Free Space 3.85 GB now ( was almost full then ).
E Partition : Total Size 54.9 GB Free Space 53.80 GB

* When I got computer back from tech guy everything was on C partition including music files and I continued using it until warned it was full. I deleted old unused downloads to make space but warnings continued.

* Ran a registry cleaner ( think it was Eusing ) then a partitioner I can’t remember the name.
When I read software blurbs about partioning I did not think it would be difficult.

* Discovered music files lost.Searched for Media Player - in Add / Remove list.
I tried to return computer to an earlier date but still no music files.
Now, I have a copy of Media Player ( think its 9 ) back. It rips / plays / stores music n details but it does not appear on Add / Remove.

The only music on WPM is some of early I’Tunes files.
*WPM Playlist still has some importance because it lists Music name / artists of lost Playlists. When I click on one of these music files get a message box –

' WMP cannot play the file.
If file is on another computer verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify it is correct. If problem persists, server might not be available'

Click - ‘ More Information ‘ – and you get the COOD1197 explanation.

* Opened ‘Search ' scan all files with the word ‘ Music ‘ results = 0.

* I understand there are a number of ‘ Players. Hoping to find lost music files.

MidnightCowboy: Have never knowingly touched Windows Registry.
Until other day did not know about Regedit.

I'm stumbling in the dark. Hope one of you guys has a candle.
B Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2011, 09:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
* Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3. H.D is 80 GB.
C Partition : Total Size 19.5 GB. Free Space 3.85 GB now ( was almost full then ).
E Partition : Total Size 54.9 GB Free Space 53.80 GB

* When I got computer back from tech guy everything was on C partition including music files and I continued using it until warned it was full. I deleted old unused downloads to make space but warnings continued.
Thanks for replying back.

You have ample space on your hard disk. And you also have an empty partition. So, don't know why you decided to run a partition software.

All you had to do was move the files from C: to E: partition, and the problem would have been solved.

You can still do that now. You can move files or folders, from C to E. Just remember, do not move any system files, which are in folders Program Files, Windows, Documents and Settings etc. Files in these folders should not be moved.

Rest, you can move music files, your documents, videos, software setup files etc. I think you don't know how to copy or move files?

For moving files/folders, simply select the files/folders, right-click and choose Cut. Then go to the folder where you want them to be moved, and click Paste.

From the size, it seems like you have some files in E partition. Did you copy or move anything to that partition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
* Ran a registry cleaner ( think it was Eusing ) then a partitioner I can’t remember the name.
When I read software blurbs about partioning I did not think it would be difficult.
B Carson, please, if you are not an experienced user, you should not do anything to the registry. You should not edit registry, delete any key there.. you should not do anything at all there.

That applies to registry cleaners too. Although some registry cleaners like Eusing/CCleaner are considered to be safe, still, they are not 100% reliable, and they can do harm to your system. You will see many advertisements/sites etc, which will tell you that running registry cleaners can speed up your computer, and that they are all-in-one, and 100% solution to problems on your system. That's all crap! Stay away from registry cleaners, or anything to do with registry, if you are not an experienced user, simple as that.

As already said, there was no need to go for partitioning software, because you already had an existing empty partition with huge space. By attempting to partition, or resize, you just called trouble upon yourself.

Do you remember what you did when you used the partition software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
* Discovered music files lost.Searched for Media Player - in Add / Remove list.
I tried to return computer to an earlier date but still no music files.
Now, I have a copy of Media Player ( think its 9 ) back. It rips / plays / stores music n details but it does not appear on Add / Remove.
I think your Media Player is working correctly now. So, we don't need to do anything about it. However, just for information purpose, as per my previous post, I had said that if you do not find WMP in Add/Remove, then you should check "Add/Remove Windows Components" list. You will find WMP there. "Add/Remove Windows Components" can be found when you open "Add or Remove Program".... you will see it on the left hand side, down.

That is for removing/adding programs which come pre-integrated with Windows.

You can check if its there in that list. It should be. However, since WMP is working, don't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
The only music on WPM is some of early I’Tunes files.
*WPM Playlist still has some importance because it lists Music name / artists of lost Playlists. When I click on one of these music files get a message box –

' WMP cannot play the file.
If file is on another computer verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify it is correct. If problem persists, server might not be available'

Click - ‘ More Information ‘ – and you get the COOD1197 explanation.
Yea, you are getting that error, because WMP cannot find the files in the original location that its supposed to be in. Do you by any chance remember the folder(s) that your music files were in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
* Opened ‘Search ' scan all files with the word ‘ Music ‘ results = 0.
You won't find music files if you search for "Music" . Instead, you should try entering a word, or a few words of the names of music files, if you remember. Because, the search function searches by the file names.

Or, you can just try this simple search, which would be better for you.

Open Search. On the menu where it says, "What do you want to search for?", under that, click on "Pictures, music, or video". Then just select Music, and click on Search. It will find all the music files on your computer. Then you can see in which folder the music files are there.

If you don't find the music files you have been looking for, then they might have been lost because of partitioning/resizing.

Or, another method to search. Select "All files and folders", and write "*.mp3" in the field of "All or part of the file name:". Make sure you select "Local Hard Drives" in "Look in:" ... so that it looks in both C: and E: drives.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2011, 05:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
4goTTen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Rafael, Argentina
Posts: 400
Default

B. if you wanna find your music, you have to run a scan with a partition recovery software.
I'm gonna explain you what is going on.
Windows "knows" the location of files because it read from a site called MFT (Master file table) or FAT (file allocation table). Imagine a text file like this:

B. Song 1.mp3 --------------- C:\ Files of B\music 3,475 KB Sector 1 in HDD; Cluster 1
B. Song 2.mp3 --------------- C:\ Files of B\music 5,788 KB Sector 1 in HDD; Cluster 2
B. Text document.txt --------C:\Files of B\Documents 14KB Sector 4 in HDD; Cluster 16


It's just and idea of how MFT handles files location; now, when file is moved or something, there's the need to inform to MFT so it can change file location. Now suppose your pc reset during repartitioning and software you were using could not inform to MFT made changes, then files become unavailable when you turn on your PC; files are still there but Windows does not know it because, when reading from MFT get incorrect information; Windows assume that disk position is available to store new files, so you have to be careful, and not to write so much in disk 'because exist the possibility to overwrite old file position and such file becomes unrecoverable.
Now, I always use .... a commercial solution , so I can't point you to a free one that I have not tested, here in Gizmo's is a review available of that kind of software.
Basically, partition recovery software, scans directly over disk ignoring MFT and inform what it found , so you can select a file B. Song 1.mp3 and say, that's my song! then you'll be asked where to save it. If possible, try not to save it to the same disk partition where it was, again, because you could be overwriting another files you may want recover.
__________________
You call destiny to the future you can't control.
4goTTen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07. Dec 2011, 03:57 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Default

Anupam : Thanks for your detailed comments n suggestions.
Try to reply in order of your remarks.

* Eusing and CCleaner have very good reviews. Rated high in Computer Mags / Forums as Editors Choice and Most Popular Downloads. I wanted to clean HD to increase space and thought it safe to use them as I would not personally know how to do individual files. Your remarks surprised me.

* Partition E has : 4 windows folders ie dotnetfx20 and dotnet fx30 etc.
plus 151 OGM files, plus Image.bin and Image.use.
I suppose they were installed by tech repair guy some time ago.

Everything else is on Partition C.
Have never transferred files from 1 partition to another. Worried I might cause error and F Partition already had Win Files and other stuff. I was trying to move partition so C had more space.

* Music was downloaded to – C:\Documents\My Documents\My Music etc .file type wma.

Results if I run ‘Search’ using Playlist name eg. Don McClean –
Folder : Cocuments and Settings Size : 3 KB, Type : Windows Media Player
Date Modified : 14.01.2012 3.16pm ( year is always + 1 )

If I click on Don McClean file, click Play I get - WMP Box saying
‘ WMP cannot play this file. If file is on another computer etc. ‘

* Using Recuva I recovered some music files to external HD.
If I click a recovered music file on external HD I get a box saying-
‘The file you are attempting to play has an extension that does not match file format. Playing file may result in unexpected behaviour. Do you want player to try to play file?
If I click yes and I get a box saying -
‘ Cannot play this file. Player might not support the file type or codec that was used to compress file. If I click more info I get C00D 1199.’ I still no music. And so it goes in circles.

Q 1. If file is deleted, would it show the file name and 3KB size?
I expected there to be no file / folder /name or if it did it would show 0 KB size.

Q 2. If I download a different player, would new player be able to play the files ?

4goTTen21 : Sorry, you've lost me. Don't think I will attempt to use partition recovery gear.
B Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07. Dec 2011, 05:04 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
4goTTen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Rafael, Argentina
Posts: 400
Default

It's Ok, don't sorry. Always a pleasure B.
__________________
You call destiny to the future you can't control.
4goTTen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07. Dec 2011, 01:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
* Eusing and CCleaner have very good reviews. Rated high in Computer Mags / Forums as Editors Choice and Most Popular Downloads. I wanted to clean HD to increase space and thought it safe to use them as I would not personally know how to do individual files. Your remarks surprised me.
CCleaner is primarily a junk files cleaner, and as that, its quite popular. However, it also has registry cleaner in its toolbox, which is considered safe. Eusing Registry Cleaner is also popular.

As I said, the different sites, and advertisements have made the registry cleaner popular... and many people download them thinking that running them will make their computer faster, and think of them like magic programs. It does not work that way. Registry cleaner should be used only by experienced users. This is because if any of the useful registry is deleted, or changed, it may just make your system unbootable. Experienced users can deal with that, general users cannot.

Also, there is no proof that registry cleaners bring about a performance change, or make the computer work faster. In some cases it might be useful, but in majority of cases, it does not affect the performance.

Also, you said you had to clean the hard drive. The best way to do it was to move the files that were taking up large space, to the other partition.

Running registry cleaner will not get rid of any substantial space. Its because the registry entries are very small files. Getting rid of unused registries will not get rid of any substantial amount. The amount of space you will get will be minimal, and that won't make any difference.

So, instead of running registry cleaner, you should have just run CCleaner, in file cleaner mode. That gets rid of the various junk files that accumulates with computer usage over time, and its of no use after that.

Also, a lot of space might also be taken by old system restore points. So, deleting the old restore points will also get some amount of space back. The old restore points can also be done via CCleaner. Its a separate feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
* Partition E has : 4 windows folders ie dotnetfx20 and dotnet fx30 etc.
plus 151 OGM files, plus Image.bin and Image.use.
I suppose they were installed by tech repair guy some time ago.

Everything else is on Partition C.
Have never transferred files from 1 partition to another. Worried I might cause error and F Partition already had Win Files and other stuff. I was trying to move partition so C had more space.
You can easily move files/folders from C: drive to E: drive. It won't cause any errors. E: drive is just a data drive, and not a system drive. So, you can move files/folders there. Just keep the warning that I gave earlier regarding this. Do not move system files/folders from C drive. Everything else, you can move to E: drive. There is enough space there.

In fact, I will suggest that you move the music, video files etc to E: drive, since these files take up quite some space. They will be better kept on E: drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
* Music was downloaded to – C:\Documents\My Documents\My Music etc .file type wma.

Results if I run ‘Search’ using Playlist name eg. Don McClean –
Folder : Cocuments and Settings Size : 3 KB, Type : Windows Media Player
Date Modified : 14.01.2012 3.16pm ( year is always + 1 )

If I click on Don McClean file, click Play I get - WMP Box saying
‘ WMP cannot play this file. If file is on another computer etc. ‘
So, all your music was in that one folder only? Did you check if any music files are there in that folder?

If that was the only folder where you kept music files, and the files are not there, they are probably lost.

You will need to run recovery programs then, in order to get them back. It won't work 100%, but you can give it a try.

You should not search by playlist name. Instead, please search by file names, if you remember some.

Also, I had told an alternative method, to search only music files. Did you try that? If not, I suggest you try that.

Even if you find the playlist file, it wont help much, because playlist is just a list, and does not hold the actual file. It merely points to the location of the music file, and if the file is not on that location, the music won't play. So, the playlists you kept saved are not of any use now. Instead, search for the actual music files.

By any luck, you may be able to find them in a different drive, or folder, or if not, they are lost, because of the partitioning.

You have also not told yet, what steps or procedure you took, to partition/resize drive. That may give some indication about the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
* Using Recuva I recovered some music files to external HD.
If I click a recovered music file on external HD I get a box saying-
‘The file you are attempting to play has an extension that does not match file format. Playing file may result in unexpected behaviour. Do you want player to try to play file?
If I click yes and I get a box saying -
‘ Cannot play this file. Player might not support the file type or codec that was used to compress file. If I click more info I get C00D 1199.’ I still no music. And so it goes in circles.

Q 1. If file is deleted, would it show the file name and 3KB size?
I expected there to be no file / folder /name or if it did it would show 0 KB size.
The files that you recovered, what extensions do they have? Do they have any extension, or none at all? Do they show any icon, or no icon at all?

And 3 kb size is not a music file. Most probably, its either a playlist file, which is of no use, or some other file.

A music file should have size in MBs, and not kbs. A song file should be about 3-6 MBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Carson View Post
Q 2. If I download a different player, would new player be able to play the files ?
All players will be able to play the files. But, the important thing is to see if the files are actually there, or not. Otherwise, if the files are not there, then no player will be able to play the files.

At this point of time, forget about the playlist files, they are of no use. We need to find actual music files.


So, first perform the search, as told earlier. Perform search with the different methods told. Best would be to perform a music search, as told earlier.

If even after searching, you are not able to find the music files anywhere on the system, it will mean they are lost. Then, you can run recovery programs.

First perform a search and then post back. We will then see whether to run recovery programs or not.

Also, please take time carefully read posts, and apply different suggestions, or answer queries. There is no rush, so take your time.

In case, you feel like you will need help, it would be good if you can take local help of any of your friends, because I think you have lack of experience of usage in computers, and so, if you can get some local help, it would be good. We will try our best as we can to help you.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08. Dec 2011, 01:40 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Default

Anupam : Sorry if I missed some of your questions. Will try to do better.

So, all your music was in that one folder only? Did you check if any music files are there in that folder? - All music was in one folder. Yes. As mentioned before the few music files left are ITunes downloads.

If that was the only folder where you kept music files, and the files are not there, they are probably lost. I agree.

You should not search by playlist name. Instead, please search by file names, if you remember some. Don’t know what you mean by file name. I searched as you suggested using name of song, artist, playlist.”*.mp3”, wav, wmp.

Also, I had told an alternative method, to search only music files. Did you try that? If not, I suggest you try that. Yes I did . Same results

Even if you find the playlist file, it wont help much, because playlist is just a list, and does not hold the actual file. It merely points to the location of the music file, and if the file is not on that location, the music won't play. So, the playlists you kept saved are not of any use now. Instead, search for the actual music files. My music files were the name of the song, artist or playlist.

By any luck, you may be able to find them in a different drive, or folder, or if not, they are lost, because of the partitioning. Agree.

You have also not told yet, what steps or procedure you took, to partition/resize drive. That may give some indication about the problem. Over 6 months ago now. Can’t remember name of programme. Just followed whatever instructions to best of my ability. Guess I didn’t do something right.

The files that you recovered, what extensions do they have? Do they have any extension, or none at all? Do they show any icon, or no icon at all? Sorry, don’t understand ‘ extension ‘? Don’t see icons.

So, first perform the search, as told earlier. Perform search with the different methods told. Best would be to perform a music search, as told earlier. Have done so.

it would be good if you can take local help of any of your friends. [I]My friends / neighbours are mostly my age range. If they use a computer, it is only for basics. None have tech knowledge or interest. Employed a few service guys. Been ripped off. Last one had my computer for [/I]2 weeks. The bill was far more than computer is worth.
Sadly, if I had the patient guidance of Gizmo members when the problem first developed I think all would have been OK. I came to the conclusion that files were lost. I acquired an old computer and bought a new hard drive to start over again. This thread started when I asked about WMPs.
B Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08. Dec 2011, 10:31 AM   #39 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,347
Default

No need for a sorry B Carson ... its all good.

Well, it seems like your music files may be lost.

You have already tried Recuva. There were some other software in the article that was suggested. So, you can try them too, to see if they retrieve anything.

If you do use those software, if you find a portable version of them, then use that. Portable means it won't install on the computer. So, you can store that portable program on an external hard disk, or a USB pen drive, and run it from there.

The reason for that is, that files which are deleted, are not lost, they are just removed from the list of files that the system keeps. The space occupied by the deleted files is marked as free space. So, until that is overwritten, the file can be retrieved. So, if you deleted files, or lost it by partition etc, and you want to retrieve them, thing to be careful about is that, you should try not to copy or move any new data on that hard disk, which will overwrite previous data.

So, you can try some more recovery software from that article which was suggested earlier.

Also, because of the above reason, if you find files, then save the retrieved files to an external hard disk, or a pen drive...again, to avoid overwriting previous data.

Apart from the recovery software, you can also try Easeus Partition Master, which I suggested earlier. I had given the link to procedure too.

However, if you don't feel confident, or comfortable running that, then don't do it. I would also advise you to take backup of your existing and important data first, in case you do try to go ahead with EPM(Easeus Partition Master).

[Added later: On second thought, don't do it, because there are chances of having problems on the computer, in case anything goes wrong. And ultimately, you will have to take it to a tech, who will again rip you off. So, better not do it, since there are risks involved. I don't want to make matters worse, trying to get back the music files.]

Well, if you are not successful with these, or do not want to go ahead with things suggested... then, sadly, the music files have been lost. So, you will have to start building your collection again from scratch.

For that, you do not need a new hard disk . You can do it on the old one itself. There was no need for another computer too.

But, if you have bought a spare computer, you can use it as a backup computer. But, for that, you will have to install XP on it. If you have the XP disk, and you know how to install, well and good. Otherwise, I am afraid, you will have to take it to a tech again, or call someone who knows how to install it.

Or, you can also add the new hard disk to your existing system as a slave hard disk, so that you get more space to store things on this system. But, again, someone with technical knowledge, will have to do that.

About extensions, the different file formats on the computer are recognized, and associated with different programs by their extensions... like .mp3, .wma, .doc, .pdf ... these are extensions of files, and help in knowing the type of file.

If you are not able to see extensions, then you can turn on that feature. Open any folder on your system. Go to Tools --> Folder Options --> Click on tab "View" -- > Look for "Hide extensions for known file types". If a checmark is there on that box, uncheck it. Click Apply and OK. Now, the extensions for files will be shown.

.mp3, .wav, .wma are music files.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2011, 07:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Default

Anupam, 4goTTen21 and others :

Thanks your patience and extensive advice.

I think you are correct. Most of my music files are lost. Recuva indicates much is overwritten. Probably because Partition was full and started overwriting for past 6 months.

Hope the expert comments on this thread may be of use to other readers.
I am an example of what not to do. Urge all readers to back up valued files.
It has been a painful lesson.

Appreciate that members offered advice without reminding me of my foolishness.

This thread is completed.
Anupam : I would like to ask the question ' How to transfer music files safely to an external harddrive and other partition of my old drive.'
What Category should I place thread. ?
B Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.