Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Debating Chamber > Multimedia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04. Dec 2011, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,336
Default

Now coming to WMP and the media files.

I think the music files might have lost because of the disk repartition/resize.

On which partition were they? Were they in a folder? Which folder, where?

Did you check that folder to see if the music files were there?

If you are not sure about folder location, try searching for the music files from the Search option, and see if you can locate them.

I hope you did not delete anything from the registry. If not, then good. Please do not mess with the registry. It can be a dangerous thing, if you don't know what you are doing. A single registry delete can render your system unbootable, or can create more problems than before.

If you have XP Service Pack 2, or above, then Windows Media Player 9 already comes with it.

The error you are getting when trying to play music files on WMP, are probably because it cannot find the music files in that location, in which they were prior to the partitioning.

I think you are trying to play the music files from the playlists? If yes, then if music files are not there in the original location, you will get an error. Since the music files are gone, the playlists don't hold importance anymore.

Try searching for the music files via Search in all partitions. Maybe they are now in a different folder. In that case, try to play the music files manually, by clicking on File --> Open.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Dec 2011, 11:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,336
Default

Windows Media Player 9, if found in Add or Remove Programs, try to uninstall it from there. If its not there, then open Add or Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. There you will find Windows Media Player in the list. Remove the checkmark, and then click Next, and complete procedure. It will be uninstalled. Then, again, open the list, and then apply the checkmark again. It will be reinstalled. See if it WMP 9 works again.

Do this only if WMP 9 is not working presently. Is it working presently? If you have any existing music files on your computer, try playing them manually, to see if WMP 9 is working. If WMP 9 is opening, and working, you do not need to follow the above procedure. Then you just need to locate the music files.

Try locating the music files by the way described earlier. Lets see what you come up with. Please post the findings.

There are other software, by which you can hear music. There are other software too, for ripping CDs. We will tell you that, in case you are interested. For now, lets solve this matter first, and then proceed further.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Dec 2011, 12:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,367
Default

I would just like to add that the Windows registry is a vital system component. Incorrect editing or removal of keys could render your system unusable. Please do not attempt this process unless you are sure about what you are doing and have a recent system image to restore from in the event of a disaster.
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Dec 2011, 04:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
4goTTen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Rafael, Argentina
Posts: 400
Default

C'mon guys, B told he doesn't mess when has no knowledge, and Windows Media Player Registry Keys are not vital in any point of view besides, he told now WMP works, so no more problem regarding this. Now we have to recover his music ^^
__________________
You call destiny to the future you can't control.
4goTTen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Dec 2011, 05:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4goTTen21 View Post
C'mon guys, B told he doesn't mess when has no knowledge, and Windows Media Player Registry Keys are not vital in any point of view besides, he told now WMP works, so no more problem regarding this. Now we have to recover his music ^^
Clearly, B Carson does not seem experienced with computers. In that case, telling about registry deletes, or anything with registry can be confusing, as well as harmful. Its good that he does not mess around, or there could be trouble.

Inexperienced users should not mess around with registry.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Dec 2011, 06:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,367
Default

It's always important to remember that we cater for a much wider audience than those who take the trouble to post here. For every problem and solution published, maybe many will seek to identify with a similar situation and try to "fit" the solution to their own issues. In this respect, no matter how parrot fashion it might sound, it's always good practice on our part to offer best advice in favor of novice users too
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Dec 2011, 08:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
4goTTen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Rafael, Argentina
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
It's always important to remember that we cater for a much wider audience than those who take the trouble to post here. For every problem and solution published, maybe many will seek to identify with a similar situation and try to "fit" the solution to their own issues. In this respect, no matter how parrot fashion it might sound, it's always good practice on our part to offer best advice in favor of novice users too
Sounds good.
Anupam, the truly experience is achieved through tries and fails no matter how many times you screw it up, your knowledge get richer when you learn from mistakes instead of hits... which make me wonder what's our role here. Anupam, with due respect I ask you as en experienced member of this website: should we fix anybody's problems or should we teach how to fix it?
__________________
You call destiny to the future you can't control.
4goTTen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Dec 2011, 08:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4goTTen21 View Post
Anupam, the truly experience is achieved through tries and fails no matter how many times you screw it up, your knowledge get richer when you learn from mistakes instead of hits.
That's true. But, remember, not everyone has the same skills as you might have. For you, it might be easy to make mistakes, and then fix it. But, for others, it might be a big problem fixing things, specially for those who are novices, or, who are not knowledgeable about that thing. So, try to put yourself in the shoes of the other person, and then think. Don't think only from your perspective.

For some, it might be a big deal to fix things, once they have broken something. For some, it might mean spending several bucks to get that broken things fixed. So, we have to be careful of what advice we give, and to whom.

Our role is here to help fix things, by providing the easiest way to them. And in the process, our motto should be, not to do any harm, and not to make the situation worse than it already is.

The novice users come here looking for an easy solution to their problems. They want their problems fixed, with the easiest way possible, and with the least amount of trouble. They do not come here looking for ways to make mistake, and then learn in the process. However, if you do give them some knowledge, which will be good for them, without breaking things up, that's always a good thing.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Dec 2011, 10:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
4goTTen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Rafael, Argentina
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
That's true. But, remember, not everyone has the same skills as you might have. For you, it might be easy to make mistakes, and then fix it. But, for others, it might be a big problem fixing things, specially for those who are novices, or, who are not knowledgeable about that thing. So, try to put yourself in the shoes of the other person, and then think. Don't think only from your perspective.

For some, it might be a big deal to fix things, once they have broken something. For some, it might mean spending several bucks to get that broken things fixed. So, we have to be careful of what advice we give, and to whom.

Our role is here to help fix things, by providing the easiest way to them. And in the process, our motto should be, not to do any harm, and not to make the situation worse than it already is.

The novice users come here looking for an easy solution to their problems. They want their problems fixed, with the easiest way possible, and with the least amount of trouble. They do not come here looking for ways to make mistake, and then learn in the process. However, if you do give them some knowledge, which will be good for them, without breaking things up, that's always a good thing.

Thanks Good answer. To be honest, I'm always looking for a direct and quick shoot in the heart of the issue; however, as you say, that's only me and maybe B. was only looking for an easy way to fix it without having the feeling of inexperience in the process. Based on my own experience with the same problem he have, I gave him a solution that has worked and was the most accurate for me. My apologies.
__________________
You call destiny to the future you can't control.
4goTTen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05. Dec 2011, 02:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 29
Default

Thank you.

May I refer you to my posting today in Multimedia.

The last few comments have offered so much technical info and questions I need time to absorb it all.

I had given up on recovering my music many months ago.
I decided to start all over again.

That's why I acquired an old computer and a new HD. ( can't get it to work yet )
That's why I asked the question about getting a copy of WMP.

Please give me time to think about all you have said.
B Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.