Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > Linux

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24. Nov 2011, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
crank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Texas aka Hell
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
Although I too identify with this chain of events, I think over time it will even out. With the onward march of i-technology I can see new users being more at home with especially Unity as I'm sure they will with W8. This still doesn't detract from Mint's achievement though which really has been remarkable.
I must say I cannot fathom no-how no-way even anencephalicly could anyone think Unity utile. I'm more kubuntu/KDE, and its foray into a similar anti-usable interface mode left me equally dumbfounded-I found it extremely dumb. I wish someone could explain how these things are better or easier or simpler? It is more of more difficult steps to do what you want, and that's better?

Win8 will be something of a new beast entirely and who knows how well MS will pull it off, I haven't tried it yet, but from what i have read, it piques the interest for sure. With so many folk having a phone and or tablet as their usual platform, a well-realized seamless integration of the PC environment might take-off hugely with folk. Are there any linux distros already working on a similar version?
__________________
you must be joking, oh man you must be joking
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24. Nov 2011, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank
Win8 will be something of a new beast entirely and who knows how well MS will pull it off, I haven't tried it yet, but from what i have read, it piques the interest for sure. With so many folk having a phone and or tablet as their usual platform, a well-realized seamless integration of the PC environment might take-off hugely with folk. Are there any linux distros already working on a similar version?
Yes
and from what I'm hearing Unity (linux) and Win8 are trying to emulate the look of the Ipad and other touch screen interfaces. Call me old fashion but give me an option to have an interface that I'm comfortable with.
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24. Nov 2011, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
Yes
and from what I'm hearing Unity (linux) and Win8 are trying to emulate the look of the Ipad and other touch screen interfaces. Call me old fashion but give me an option to have an interface that I'm comfortable with.
My sentiments too. If I have to force myself to like something just because it's new and cool then I'm pleased to be growing old. My tech raves about Unity but then he's less than half my age and has igadgets grafted into every orifice. I have tried but cannot relieve myself of a good "old fashioned"desktop.
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25. Nov 2011, 05:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,835
Default

A leading research firm Gartner identifies 10 strategic technologies for 2012 and it believes that user interfaces with windows, icons, menus, and pointers will be replaced by mobile-centric interfaces emphasizing touch, gesture, search, voice and video.

Looks like this is the trend: More touches and gestures, less windows, menus and pointers.
Jojo Yee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25. Nov 2011, 05:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoyee View Post
A leading research firm Gartner identifies 10 strategic technologies for 2012 and it believes that user interfaces with windows, icons, menus, and pointers will be replaced by mobile-centric interfaces emphasizing touch, gesture, search, voice and video.

Looks like this is the trend: More touches and gestures, less windows, menus and pointers.
Did they say this was by user request, or just the fact this is what users will be "given" by the likes of Microsoft. My tech refers to MS as "the good shepherd" because they're never short of sheep
sheep1.gif
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.