Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   Linux (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/linux/)
-   -   Zorin - Windows comes to Linux? (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/linux/5701-zorin-windows-comes-to-linux.html)

MidnightCowboy 17. Nov 2010 02:52 PM

Zorin - Windows comes to Linux?
 
Question: How would you like to load Windows 7 or XP, and in less than half an hour be surfing away with no fear of infection or other nasties?

Well, with Zorin you can, supposedly. In fact they make a statement to this affect during the install process.

If you donate to the project you can even get a Vista or W2K lookalike too (are they serious? :D)


Once you've got over the initial shock you can begin to appreciate that this Ubuntu based Linux distro has been purpose built to attract Windows users to the “other side”. Looks aren't everything though so Zorin has also been designed to work out of the box for pretty much all that the average person would need.

This is not new of course for Ubuntu based offerings. Mint has already developed a loyal following and there are others too. Zorin though goes much further than this and makes no attempt to cater for those already converted to Linux although I'm certain that it will still appeal to many. No, this is aimed squarely at XP and 7 migrants who want to dual boot or replace their existing system with something that looks familiar and acts accordingly. My impression is that Zorin have done a pretty solid job in achieving this objective.

Although I've had a 64 bit capable machine for over a year I've always run x32 versions of something or other in it (don't ask me why – much of what I do has little basis in logic! :D). This time though having been persuaded by what I'd read I opted for the x64 core install, deciding to wipe Ubuntu completely and use Zorin as my primary OS.

The download is a bit bigger than the usual at 1.1GB but no big deal in the modern scheme of things and not surprising either when you consider what they've set out to achieve.

So, armed with my much worn DVDRW (there is a USB option) I set off once again into the unknown.

First impressions count for a lot in my book and there's always that air of expectation when you wait for the desktop to load first time around. Sure you can see the umpteen screenshots scattered around the net but it's still not the same as having it appear in front of you for real :)

I've said in previous posts that I felt Ubuntu was the best choice for first time Linux users with Mandriva and PCLinuxOS being more in tune for those wishing to retain a Windows type look. This opinion has now changed!

There's an excellent review of Zorin here so no need to duplicate that:

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...ro-review.html

Suffice to say that installing from the live DVD is a breeze and I was soon up and running with my new system.

Windows migrants will certainly appreciate the “start menu” and the fact that the whole system has been designed to run out of the box including support for multimedia codecs. I ran through a bunch of mine in different formats and everything worked as promised.

What folks might not appreciate having just downloaded 1.1G of install disk is the further 425MB of updates now required but I guess this has to be expected for this type of distro.

A lot of customized touches have been added to Zorin including a “Look Changer” and a useful backup feature called “Back In Time” which will also allow you to recover accidentally deleted files.

Overall, if you are considering Linux and/or already have Ubuntu I would check Zorin out. It definitely offers something different and the experience for me at any rate has been first class.

Sope 17. Nov 2010 02:59 PM

Dedoimedo also reviewed Zorin here.

Jojo Yee 17. Nov 2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sope (Post 40290)
Dedoimedo also reviewed Zorin here.

Noted this conclusion:

Quote:

Overall, Zorin is a re-branded Ubuntu flavor, with some extras added. But there are too many leftovers from the original system to make Zorin a fully unique, fully independent entity. The word Ubuntu, in both uppercase and lowercase, shows all over the place, inside programs and menus, making the distinction really blurred.

In this regard, for instance, Linux Mint is a far more mature fork than Zorin. However, unlike many quick conversions, with merely a wallpaper change, Zorin does manage to be a very successful, bug-free conversion. And this is a really good thing.

However, I'd like to see more focus added to polishing out the menus and brushing up the styling.

The only question remaining is that of necessity. Is it really needed, considered the competition, considered the impact Ubuntu Lucid made? Aren't all the changes merely a three-hour effort of polishing the base Ubuntu installations and repackaging it?

Zorin is a very decent choice for new Linux users, but for veterans, the choice between Ubuntu and Zorin makes no difference. For fresh converts, though, Zorin is an excellent, smooth, painless stepping stone in the world of Linux. The system runs well, it looks good, the Compiz integration is excellent, and the selection of program is rich.

If you have friends who ponder the brave new ways of freedom, you may want to point them in the direction of Zorin. It's a good choice.
From the links it says somewhere that Zorin is based on the earlier version of Ubuntu with some tweaks and addons. I don't think I'll change shoes that often, but it does have some good points to try it out. :D

eyeb 17. Nov 2010 04:29 PM

hm nice, looks kind of like mac colors too. I'll download and try it :D

MidnightCowboy 17. Nov 2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeb (Post 40298)
hm nice, looks kind of like mac colors too. I'll download and try it :D

There is a "Mac look" too but this is part of the "donate to get" option along with Vista and W2K :)

kendall.a 17. Nov 2010 05:26 PM

Is there a way to keep my existing Windows XP on my VERY old laptop and dual boot with Zorin?

I've been thinking about playing around a little with my old laptop. (I just found it behind a desk and had forgotten about it.) In fact, I installed Time Freeze Free and have started playing around with different security programs. Now, might be a good time to try out Linux again. (My first experience with Ubuntu was not all that positive.)

torres-no-tan-magnifico 17. Nov 2010 05:31 PM

Many thanks MC for your Zorin post. Having tried in vain to repair my corrupted XP on my LT, I have come to the conclusion that I need to completely replace it with a Linux based OS.

I am more than happy with Macbuntu on my DT (I am the sole user) but the concept of keeping a Windows theme with Zorin is very appealing; my wife will have her own account and so this will make her feel more at home. :)

Will report back in a few days time when this has been installed.

MidnightCowboy 17. Nov 2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendall (Post 40306)
Is there a way to keep my existing Windows XP on my VERY old laptop and dual boot with Zorin?

Yes, Zorin offers the choice to install alongside your existing system during the install process.

1002richards 17. Nov 2010 06:16 PM

I found the graphics - sliding screens, wobbly windows, spinning menus etc - too irritating to live with when I installed it. Went back to Ubuntu, but being tempted by Mint 10 at the moment.
But that's the plus with Ubuntu ... plenty of choices.

torres-no-tan-magnifico 17. Nov 2010 07:26 PM

As I write this, I have paused the large download of Zorin and am now downloading Ylmf instead; half the download size and with the XP theme in place of W7.

Still undecided on which one to run!! Ah, the joys of computing. :)

MidnightCowboy 17. Nov 2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1002richards (Post 40315)
I found the graphics - sliding screens, wobbly windows, spinning menus etc - too irritating to live with when I installed it. Went back to Ubuntu, but being tempted by Mint 10 at the moment.
But that's the plus with Ubuntu ... plenty of choices.

Just change your desktop effects from custom to normal if you want less glitz. This is what I did and I'm very happy with the result. Now I get the spin without having to have the wobble too :D

Yes indeed, choice, freedom what more could you ask for for free! :)

MidnightCowboy 17. Nov 2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torresmagnifico (Post 40318)
As I write this, I have paused the large download of Zorin and am now downloading Ylmf instead; half the download size and with the XP theme in place of W7.

Still undecided on which one to run!! Ah, the joys of computing. :)

I saw this but wanted closer to a W7 look plus I though the title was more akin to something you see listed under p0rn :D

1002richards 18. Nov 2010 06:54 AM

I had a play with ylmf and it is a good "impression" of XP. If for instance you were going to put linux on a friend's machine & they were transferring from Windows, then ylmf would be a good stepping stone.

Richard

MidnightCowboy 18. Nov 2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1002richards (Post 40341)
I had a play with ylmf and it is a good "impression" of XP. If for instance you were going to put linux on a friend's machine & they were transferring from Windows, then ylmf would be a good stepping stone.

Richard

Thanks for this insight. I know there are a lot of folks with XP who haven't tried 7 so as you say this would be a logical step if they wanted to try Linux in a familiar format.

Jojo Yee 18. Nov 2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Despite the very similar likeness to Windows XP's Luna theme—the default theme for Windows XP—Microsoft does not appear to be planning to take any sort of action against the operating system or its developers.
:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ylmf_OS

Jojo Yee 18. Nov 2010 08:34 AM

Has anyone tried this?

W7 Theme for Ubuntu Brings Windows 7's Familiar GUI to Linux

26Dolphins 18. Nov 2010 03:21 PM

Thanks for the info and other links to both Zorin and YLMF.
More alternatives to check out on as soon as my current machine becomes my old one.

torres-no-tan-magnifico 18. Nov 2010 05:26 PM

Have finally installed Zorin but unfortunately I have hit a major stumbling block as I cannot get access to the Internet; it has already crashed once as well! :(

The last 2 versions of Ubuntu connected no problem but Zorin appears not to want to work straight out of the box. I have tried putting in my SSID and password but still the problem persists. I have also disabled the firewall so it's not that!!

If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this I'd be most grateful. :)

PS I have a wireless connection.

MidnightCowboy 18. Nov 2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torresmagnifico (Post 40371)

If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this I'd be most grateful. :)

PS I have a wireless connection.

I have cable DSL which connects fine and a mobile broadband USB which doesn't. With the latter I get the age old "recognized as a storage drive" thing which no doubt needs some sort of script to work. As soon as I get time I'm going to try out the sakis3G script with it. This modem is now recognized by the latest Ubuntu out of the box so this is one deficiency with Zorin.

Stability wise I can't fault it. I've enabled sensors, installed Emerald and messed with a few other things likely to upset it but so far rock solid. Don't get the intermittent monitor flickering like I did with Ubuntu either.

Sorry this doesn't help your problem.

1002richards 18. Nov 2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torresmagnifico (Post 40371)
Have finally installed Zorin but unfortunately I have hit a major stumbling block as I cannot get access to the Internet; it has already crashed once as well! :(

The last 2 versions of Ubuntu connected no problem but Zorin appears not to want to work straight out of the box. I have tried putting in my SSID and password but still the problem persists. I have also disabled the firewall so it's not that!!

If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this I'd be most grateful. :)

PS I have a wireless connection.

Are you using a Dell by any chance? On Ubuntu 10.10 and derivatives (eg Zorin, Mint etc) this simple fix works:

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2010/10/br...er-fix-in.html ignore the fact it says Dell Mini - it works on my laptop.

Hope this is of help to someone?

Richard.

MidnightCowboy 18. Nov 2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1002richards (Post 40385)
Are you using a Dell by any chance? On Ubuntu 10.10 and derivatives (eg Zorin, Mint etc) this simple fix works:

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2010/10/br...er-fix-in.html ignore the fact it says Dell Mini - it works on my laptop.

Hope this is of help to someone?

Richard.

Thanks for the tip but I've got a custom built desktop cobbled together with the best of what was cheap at the time :D

It's actually a pretty good machine but rather than mess around with alien drivers I've decided to just use the modem on my spare machine which is still Ubuntu 10.10 if and when (more often when) the cable connection goes down.

kendall.a 18. Nov 2010 10:32 PM

Quick question--

I hope to attempt an install of Zorin tonight. I'm going to install it on an old XP laptop. But, I want to be able to dual boot.

I assume that the installation disc will want me to create a new partition for Zorin. What is a good size to make this new partiition? I've got about 40 GB free on this HD.

torres-no-tan-magnifico 18. Nov 2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1002richards (Post 40385)
Are you using a Dell by any chance? On Ubuntu 10.10 and derivatives (eg Zorin, Mint etc) this simple fix works:

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2010/10/br...er-fix-in.html ignore the fact it says Dell Mini - it works on my laptop.

Hope this is of help to someone?

Richard.

Thanks Richard,

I do indeed have a Dell but I managed to download a patch via my DT. I successfully installed the driver. However, Hardware Drivers failed to activate the driver.

This is the same driver as shown in your link.

I also attempted the Terminal command line blurb but on both occasions it failed!:(

If I can't fix this soon then Zorin will be replaced by Ubuntu 10.10 because at least that knows about my Wi-Fi!!

torres-no-tan-magnifico 19. Nov 2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendall (Post 40393)
Quick question--

I hope to attempt an install of Zorin tonight. I'm going to install it on an old XP laptop. But, I want to be able to dual boot.

I assume that the installation disc will want me to create a new partition for Zorin. What is a good size to make this new partiition? I've got about 40 GB free on this HD.

Depending on how much HD space your XP is taking up I'd aim at a 20GB for each partition. Hope this helps.

1002richards 19. Nov 2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torresmagnifico (Post 40396)
Thanks Richard,

If I can't fix this soon then Zorin will be replaced by Ubuntu 10.10 because at least that knows about my Wi-Fi!!

You're welcome, I hope you get one of them sorted soon!

Richard

Jojo Yee 19. Nov 2010 10:26 AM

Downloaded Zorin over night but yet to burn the iso to try it out.

In actual fact, while I'm running either Ubuntu, XP or 7, I've tried to make the systems to look about the same for ease of use. For example:

When I am on Ubuntu, my left and right sides of the Panel looks like the top row.
When I am on XP, my left and right sides of the Taskbar look like the bottom row.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/file...kbar-Panel.png

On the left, the Main Menu (Ubuntu) works as the Start button (XP). Program icons are pinnable with the help of DockBarX Applet in Ubuntu, likewise they are pinnable with the help of ViGlance in XP.

On the right, both are showing the icons for the screen capture, network connection, volume and time.

Don't they look or function almost the same? :D

torres-no-tan-magnifico 19. Nov 2010 04:17 PM

Have now ditched Zorin due to the aforementioned lack of wireless connectivity and installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my LT; at least it does what it says on the can! :)

Shame that Zorin fell down on something so basic as a driver. :(

Jojo Yee 19. Nov 2010 05:13 PM

Zorin iso successfully burnt into a DVD using Brasero within 4m 30s.

Now running on Zorin LiveDVD, a test on both wired and Belkin wireless connection all ok.

Played mp3 and mp4 with Rhythmbox and VLC media player went through smoothly out of the box without installing any codec.

Wanted to write this post using gedit. Typed gedit into the search box, Ahhh, "no items matched your search criteria" :eek:. I thought Zorin took it out, but later I got it from Accessories > Text Editor. Programs can be pinned into the panel, like what I've tweaked it in Ubuntu.

Will install it into a spare PC to dual boot with XP next week and let my friend try this look-alike 'Windows 7' to see if he likes it. :p

MidnightCowboy 19. Nov 2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torresmagnifico (Post 40419)
Have now ditched Zorin due to the aforementioned lack of wireless connectivity and installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my LT; at least it does what it says on the can! :)

Shame that Zorin fell down on something so basic as a driver. :(


Yeah, the drivers thing seems to be very much hit and miss. I did get a response on their forum from the developer who suggested another route into the setup wizard but this isn't the problem. I can complete the wizard from even the tray icon which recognizes Claro and sets up the account details, trouble is the available devices stays mute. Zorin still sees my modem as a standard flash drive.

My cable connection has been on and off about ten times today so now thanks to Zorin I'm having to run between machines where my Claro modem is now plugged in to Ubuntu :) I can live with this as an occasional thing but if I can't get this sorted properly with Zorin will have to reinstall Ubuntu on this one too.

kendall.a 19. Nov 2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Now running on Zorin LiveDVD, a test on both wired and Belkin wireless connection all ok.
Ok, how do you do this? Will the DVD that I just burnt allow me to run it off the DVD without first installing it? I'd like to make sure that my wireless card will work before I do the installation. Will running it "live" (without installation) answer this for me?

lonny 20. Nov 2010 12:56 AM

@kendall

it will allow you to test your wireless without installing to HDD.

MidnightCowboy 20. Nov 2010 07:39 AM

Plus 1 for what lonny says:)

With my live (used DVD) there was a bit of a delay waiting for the boot process to start and it may take a time to "think" after you enter your connection details but then you'll see the CD/DVD tray light become active again and (hopefully) away you go.

Ritho 20. Nov 2010 11:25 AM

Kendall, just in case you have a problem don't give up immediately. I have run across some wireless hardware that does not work "out of the box" but I have never failed to be able to get it up and running with very little effort. The first time I had this problem I knew nothing about Linux, and still was able to get a unsupported wireless device to work in 10 or 15 minutes.

There are a couple of programs that can help you get a wireless card working using the windows drivers under linux. (I think they are both in the repositories so may be installed through the software center)

1. Ndiswrapper
2. Driverloader

Jojo Yee 20. Nov 2010 03:36 PM

Just powered up the space PC, running, or to be exact, crawling very very slow on XP.

Wanted to put the Zorin LiveDVD (yes the dics burnt from the iso image) into the drive and just noticed that the space PC only had a CD RW Drive. :o

Unlikely I will get a new DVD drive for the old PC (or only until there's a need), and the Zorin image is too big to fit into a CD. Not sure if the spare old PC works with the USB boot image. Back to Ubuntu for the spare old PC at least for now. :D

kendall.a 20. Nov 2010 07:55 PM

Just loaded the LiveDVD system. Can't connect to my wireless network.

Of course, if I knew what settings to use and what type of network I had, that might help. I know my Network name and I know my WEP key, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to connect to my wireless network.

Now, I'm pretty convinced that I could connect this laptop directly to my network/DSL modem (via network cable) and it would work fine. But, what good does that do me with a laptop?!

Unless I can get my wireless connected, I don't see me actually installing this to my laptop.

Jojo Yee 21. Nov 2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendall (Post 40456)
Of course, if I knew what settings to use and what type of network I had, that might help. I know my Network name and I know my WEP key, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to connect to my wireless network.

Have you tried the TCP/IP setting? In my case, I opted for "obtain IP address automatically", and entered the Preferred DNS address and the Alternate DNS address. It then connected to the wireless network after I gave the authentication key.

MidnightCowboy 21. Nov 2010 07:56 AM

I did get a response from the site owner on their forum re: my USB modem but the suggestion made wasn't any use and there's been nothing else back since my reply to this.

I know this was possible with previous versions of Ubuntu because I watched my tech setting it up when I tried 9.04. It looked complicated then to a non-Linux user and probably wouldn't mean much more to me now :)

This I fear is where distros such as Zorin are going to struggle. Wireless and USB modem connections are one of the biggest issues for non savy Linux migrants and in order to keep them there has to be a facility for timely constructive help. I appreciate it isn't possible to achieve an Ubuntu style forum overnight but maybe more effort could be put into posting stickys about these issues with some known workarounds. I'm convinced that in my case the Sakis3G script would work if only I could figure out what driver it cannot find and how to install it. This is also where local knowledge comes into play but again i appreciate that you need to be in situ to realize this. The Sony Ericsson MD300 wasn't the most popular mobile broadband modem on the planet but it was here in Brazil because at one time it was the default issue from Claro who is the main provider. Add to this that per head of population Brazil has one of the highest Linux (Ubuntu) user rates and you can see why this is important to a lot of folks here :)

For now I've had to revert back to 10.10 because the continuing storms here mean that I need to continually switch between services to stay connected. Not so much of a problem except my wife needs the spare PC at weekends for her own work, so here I am back with Ubuntu :)

kendall.a 21. Nov 2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Have you tried the TCP/IP setting? In my case, I opted for "obtain IP address automatically", and entered the Preferred DNS address and the Alternate DNS address. It then connected to the wireless network after I gave the authentication key.
Where do I find those settings? I went to add a new wireless connection and saw different options for the type of connection (WEP 40 or WEP 128 and some others) in the wireless tab, but I didn't pay much attention to the other tabs.

Ritho 21. Nov 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendall (Post 40477)
Where do I find those settings? I went to add a new wireless connection and saw different options for the type of connection (WEP 40 or WEP 128 and some others) in the wireless tab, but I didn't pay much attention to the other tabs.

Network Connections>Wireless>Add or Edit>IPv4 or IPv6 (respectively) >

Automatic DHCP is default. You can change it to "Automatic addresses only" then you will be able to set the DNS server etc.

MidnightCowboy 02. Dec 2010 02:51 PM

Zorin OS4 is due for release in January with a RC early this month. It will be based on Ubuntu 10.10 so this should fix my mobile broadband recognition issues. I'll definitely be taking a look (surprise :D)

Amongst other enhancements the new release will have a program called Background Plus which enables the use of a video, sound or screensaver as background. Their site blurb says "available in all the premium (donate) versions" so I'm not sure if it will be possible to add this to the core release.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.