Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > Linux

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05. Nov 2010, 05:30 PM   #81 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

Jojoyee
Quote:
Ubuntu actually looks more like Windows at least to me and better than the KDE desktop that I tried.
I have utilized many of those tips and tricks and used a few from Liberian Geek. There are things about Linux that I prefer don't change. I can get past the Asthetics, however I just need stuff to be in the right place to get things done. This is as close as I have gotten so far.

Cheers
Wdhpr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snapshot4.jpg (88.6 KB, 9 views)
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05. Nov 2010, 09:16 PM   #82 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
Jojoyee


I have utilized many of those tips and tricks and used a few from Liberian Geek. There are things about Linux that I prefer don't change. I can get past the Asthetics, however I just need stuff to be in the right place to get things done. This is as close as I have gotten so far.
Love the wallpaper of Parga. Been there twice and it looks a lot different with a cloudless sky. The town beach is a bit cramped but there are several others a short walk away. Very popular with the Italians for their own holidays during August so you can imagine what a culture mix that is The place literally heaves after 8pm but a great atmosphere.

I've gone for the all-black look this time.
Screenshot.jpg
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Nov 2010, 02:01 AM   #83 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
Jojoyee


I have utilized many of those tips and tricks and used a few from Liberian Geek. There are things about Linux that I prefer don't change. I can get past the Asthetics, however I just need stuff to be in the right place to get things done. This is as close as I have gotten so far.

Cheers
Wdhpr
That's good that you found the tips useful. Share with us if you think some others are useful and have yet to be included. It has rooms for expansion.

This's what I've got so far and I like a minimalist look.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4474718/Ubuntu-Desktop-A.jpeg

Last edited by Jojoyee; 06. Nov 2010 at 02:16 AM.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Nov 2010, 02:46 AM   #84 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

Great Idea for putting the Jpeg in your dropbox. Saves room here on the site.

I basically used the tips from Liberian Geek to install teamviewer, bitdefender, bleachbit, Avast av, how to open nautilus with root privileges and a couple more that I cant remember. The list is lengthy and as MC previously stated there maybe duplications.
But every tip I used worked so far.

Cheers
Wdhpr
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Nov 2010, 04:48 AM   #85 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,845
Default Unity as default desktop system in next version

According to this, Mark has announced that the Unity desktop will also be used as the primary desktop on the PC version.

I briefly tried it by installing Unity from Software Center to the PC. The response to launching an app was slower than from the standard panel at least for now and I didn't quite like it. Especially the auto hiding of the Unity Launcher sitting at the left will only be addressed when the next version 11.04 is released?

The only good thing is that you can select which desktop session you want during log-in.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Nov 2010, 07:35 AM   #86 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,285
Default

Unity doesn't really do it for me but I can appreciate the attraction for netbook users.
Could there be something more behind this in that Ubuntu are forecasting the demise of desktop units altogether?
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07. Nov 2010, 04:28 PM   #87 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,845
Default Change color font of panel clock

I've been using a transparent panel since Ubuntu 10.04, but I can't read the panel clock as it's black on a dark background. The problem still exists in Ubuntu 10.10. This seems to be a reported bug in 2004 followed by a workaround.

Added This tip which works for me to change the color font of the panel clock to make it more visible.

Last edited by Jojoyee; 07. Nov 2010 at 04:36 PM.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10. Nov 2010, 10:04 PM   #88 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ritho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoyee View Post
According to this, Mark has announced that the Unity desktop will also be used as the primary desktop on the PC version.

I briefly tried it by installing Unity from Software Center to the PC. The response to launching an app was slower than from the standard panel at least for now and I didn't quite like it. Especially the auto hiding of the Unity Launcher sitting at the left will only be addressed when the next version 11.04 is released?

The only good thing is that you can select which desktop session you want during log-in.

If I understand it right, Canonical's move to Unity may very well be because they are turning their focus to support the ever growing number of portable devices that are capable of running linux. Androids success is one example of this. Linux is not just for the Desktop anymore, and they may wish to present the same user experience across all platforms or devices.
__________________
The smallest good deed is better than the greatest intention.
Ritho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11. Nov 2010, 11:55 AM   #89 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoyee View Post
I've been using a transparent panel since Ubuntu 10.04, but I can't read the panel clock as it's black on a dark background. The problem still exists in Ubuntu 10.10. This seems to be a reported bug in 2004 followed by a workaround.

Added This tip which works for me to change the color font of the panel clock to make it more visible.
Thanks for this. I toned mine down a bit using #6D7B8D instead and works great
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11. Nov 2010, 01:12 PM   #90 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
Thanks for this. I toned mine down a bit using #6D7B8D instead and works great
Light Slate Gray? It must be matching your other icons on the panel.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.