Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > Linux

View Poll Results: What is your favorite linux distro?
CentOS 1 1.59%
Debian 1 1.59%
Fedora 4 6.35%
Mandriva 1 1.59%
MEPIS 1 1.59%
Mint 15 23.81%
openSUSE 3 4.76%
PCLinuxOS 3 4.76%
Puppy 3 4.76%
Ubuntu 31 49.21%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06. Mar 2011, 07:08 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 18
Default Which Distro

Linux Newbie here and have tried an awful lot of different ones. Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Debian, PCLinux-OS, Sabayon, Mandriva, Mepis... Sigh!!!

The best, without question is Linux Mint Debian Edition. It was the only one that worked straight out of the box so to speak. All the others, Ubuntu included had some sort of problem that I could not solve.

Why is Linux so damn awkward when it comes to doing things.

That said Linux Puppy working from a re writeable DVD was an interesting option.
Zebedeeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Mar 2011, 07:36 AM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Why is Linux so damn awkward when it comes to doing things.

Don't expect Linux to be Windows. Its easy to have high expectations with Linux. But It will take time to understand how the unique differences also makes it better as well as a more secure system than Windows. Most of all just give it some time while you try it and get a feel for it before passing judgment.

Mint is a fork of Ubuntu and both are spin offs of Debian. They are just tip of the Linux iceberg.

Puppy Linux is geared more toward older computers but also makes a good system for booting off a flash drive.

Wdhpr

Last edited by wdhpr; 06. Mar 2011 at 07:43 AM.
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Mar 2011, 08:28 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 18
Default Which Distro

Hi

Oh I knew it was not going to be easy and its taken me 6 months at least to be able to install linux, understanding enough about partitioning to get through, etc etc.

I do like it, tho I still dual boot. Probably what I meant about being easy is that a lot of the time is spent in terminal installing dependancies and even compiling stuff to install. Software developers don't seem to be interested in making installable files.

Now I think I know the reasons why... too many flavours of linux... but its never explained in plain english either, the assumption is you know what your talking about so it makes newbies feel inadequate.

But I will keep at it and stick with LMDE.

Zeb...
Zebedeeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Mar 2011, 08:27 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Probably what I meant about being easy is that a lot of the time is spent in terminal installing dependancies and even compiling stuff to install. Software developers don't seem to be interested in making installable files.
Mint should have a huge selection of packages available in through the software manager. If you are trying to install a piece of software not available in the software manager try to get the one with .deb extension.

enjoy
Wdhpr
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07. Mar 2011, 10:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
SumDumHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 2
Smile Ubuntu

I have only been a Linux user for a few months but I was surprised that Ubuntu held the top ranking in this poll! Maybe it was my lack of know how or compatibility issues with Acer's hardware but I had several problems using it. I was never able to get my wireless or my sound to function, I did an update and I had even more issues so I gave up on it.

I'm using Puppy 5.2 now, getting sound was tricky but the wireless and everything else worked out of the box. Windows was the only os I had ever used and I never used shells or the command line so Linux is very confusing to me. I'm limited to using the programs included and the ones available through the package manager. Even so I doubt I'll ever return to using Windows. I'm so fascinated with the live cds once I have a better grasp of what I'm doing I'd like to explore some of the other distros.

LOL! If there was a Linux for stupid people that would be my pick!
__________________
~SumDumHo~

Last edited by SumDumHo; 07. Mar 2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
SumDumHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08. Mar 2011, 12:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
I have only been a Linux user for a few months but I was surprised that Ubuntu held the top ranking in this poll! Maybe it was my lack of know how or compatibility issues with Acer's hardware but I had several problems using it. I was never able to get my wireless or my sound to function, I did an update and I had even more issues so I gave up on it.
Hello and welcome to world of Linux. You are not having any trouble that every Linux newbie hasn't already experienced. I've been using Linux for over two years and I still encounter problems that I need help with. We have several experienced Linux users on this Forum And they have always been helpful with my questions. There are also Forums that deal solely with Linux systems. One that I can vouch for is LinuxQuestions.org. I have received replies within minutes of posting. Maybe they can help you with your Acer hardware.

I started using Linux off of Live CD's. I later installed Simply Mepis on my hard drive as a dual boot system. I am now using Ubuntu and its working very well for me. I also hear allot of good things about Mint which is a spin-off of Ubuntu. There is also a version of Linux that you can run straight from your Microsoft Windows. Its called Wubi .

Try not expect Linux to be a Windows clone and give yourself time to get used to its unique characteristics.

Wdhpr
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08. Mar 2011, 01:09 AM   #47 (permalink)
Been Here Since the Begin
 
kendall.a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 2,325
Default

Can you talk a little bit more about Wubi? I've not heard of it before. It sounds very interesting. You actually install it like a Windows program? Will it run on Windows 7 64 bit systems?
__________________
<-------Just jammin to some music....
kendall.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08. Mar 2011, 01:31 AM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

From the WubiGuide
Quote:
Why is the AMD64 version of Ubuntu being downloaded and installed?

The machine you are trying to install Ubuntu on may be 64 bit. The AMD64 installation is appropriate for all 64 bit architectures, no matter if they are AMD or Intel.

Can I force Wubi to download and install a 32 bit version of Ubuntu?

Yes: either pre-download the appropriate 32 bit ISO manually and place it in the same folder as Wubi.exe or start Wubi with the "--32bit" argument.

To modify arguments, right-click Wubi.exe and select "Create Shortcut". Then right-click the shortcut, select Properties, and modify the Target line, for example: "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Desktop\wubi.exe" --32bit
My computer uses the AMD 64 processor however it came with Winxp 32 bit. I installed and ran Wubi 32 bit with no problem. I later uninstalled Wubi and installed Ubuntu 32 bit on a separate partition as a dual boot platform and that went well. As far as using Wubi on a Windows7 64 bit platform it should work but you may want to look into it further.

I have heard that installing Ubuntu on a Win 7 computer as a dual boot system you may run into issues with grub. I believe Jojoyee has experience with the grub/mbr issue on Win7

Wdhpr
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08. Mar 2011, 03:11 AM   #49 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
I have heard that installing Ubuntu on a Win 7 computer as a dual boot system you may run into issues with grub. I believe Jojoyee has experience with the grub/mbr issue on Win7
I installed Mint to dual boot with Win 7 on two PCs and they worked very well so far. So I supposed Ubuntu should work as well. No problems in Grub or MBR.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08. Mar 2011, 06:14 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
SumDumHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
Hello and welcome to world of Linux. You are not having any trouble that every Linux newbie hasn't already experienced. I've been using Linux for over two years and I still encounter problems that I need help with. We have several experienced Linux users on this Forum And they have always been helpful with my questions. There are also Forums that deal solely with Linux systems. One that I can vouch for is LinuxQuestions.org. I have received replies within minutes of posting. Maybe they can help you with your Acer hardware.

I started using Linux off of Live CD's. I later installed Simply Mepis on my hard drive as a dual boot system. I am now using Ubuntu and its working very well for me. I also hear allot of good things about Mint which is a spin-off of Ubuntu. There is also a version of Linux that you can run straight from your Microsoft Windows. Its called Wubi .

Try not expect Linux to be a Windows clone and give yourself time to get used to its unique characteristics.

Wdhpr

Thank you for the encouragement and the info! Trying to figure out the how tos can be intimidating! I think the Windows edition you mentioned is how I got started with Ubuntu. I was complaining about windows arbitrary updates and a friend gave me a CD he had ordered. I tried it in windows and then loaded it on my spare hard drive.
__________________
~SumDumHo~
SumDumHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.