Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   Linux (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/linux/)
-   -   Best Free Software for Linux (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/linux/2468-best-free-software-for-linux.html)

Jojo Yee 25. Nov 2009 09:51 AM

Best Free Software for Linux
 
While you can get the Linux system and use it for free, you can also run on the system a wide range of free applications such as well-known and commonly-used software including Firefox web browser and the OpenOffice application suite.

Check out Best Free Software for Linux for more freeware products, including those reviewed and recommended by our editors in the various sections.

wdhpr 02. Jan 2010 06:54 AM

Sugestion to add to the list
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojoyee (Post 17086)
While you can get the Linux system and use it for free, you can also run on the system a wide range of free applications such as well-known and commonly-used software including Firefox web browser and the OpenOffice application suite.

Check out Best Free Software for Linux for more freeware products, including those reviewed and recommended by our editors in the various sections.

DropBox
I ran across this gem while surfing one of my favorite sites.
I would describe it as a cloud base synchronization application. It is available for both Windows and Linux. It can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx
I have it installed on both my Windows and Linux OS's with my dual boot machine.
Hands down this is the coolest thing I have run across in a while. The free version limits you to 2 gigs. Thats fine with me. I can compress, encrypt and store my critical files in my secure folder. It will also allow public access to pictures and public files. Want to share something just e-mail your friends the link. I have been using Skydrive and its a hassle for friends to access. Check it out :)

The windows version was mentioned on Gizmo's main site: http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ckup-sites.htm

NOTE: A bit of caution is in order. If the provider of this type of service goes belly up, you could run the risk of loosing your files. I use multiple forms of back up. I however try to have some online backup
(in my case I now have 2)
one being Skydrive. I do this in the event of something like a catastrophic house fire.:(

Cheers
Wdhpr

Jojo Yee 02. Jan 2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdhpr (Post 19247)
DropBox
I ran across this gem while surfing one of my favorite sites.
I would describe it as a cloud base synchronization application. It is available for both Windows and Linux. It can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx
I have it installed on both my Windows and Linux OS's with my dual boot machine.
Hands down this is the coolest thing I have run across in a while. The free version limits you to 2 gigs. Thats fine with me. I can compress, encrypt and store my critical files in my secure folder. It will also allow public access to pictures and public files. Want to share something just e-mail your friends the link. I have been using Skydrive and its a hassle for friends to access. Check it out :)

Good suggestion. Added in the list under Disk and File Tools.

Dropbox is now a folder created under the Home directory of my PC. :)

wdhpr 12. Feb 2010 12:51 AM

I not sure how to classify this for its a series of utilities for running various linux distro's from a pendrive freely provide via their website, which I think its worth mentioning.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
For those that don't want give up Windows, have the cash to pony up for a hard drive or don't want to partition their drive they can still try a linux distro on the cheap. I have used several of their utilities and they have all worked as advertised. This is different from using a live CD because by using a USB stick there is the ability to save changes (only applies to certain disto's however) which is explained at the site.
A word of advice though. Not all computers can boot from a USB stick. The nice thing is they walk you through how to check if your computer has that capability.

Cheers
Wdhpr

Jojo Yee 12. Feb 2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdhpr (Post 22504)
I not sure how to classify this for its a series of utilities for running various linux distro's from a pendrive freely provide via their website, which I think its worth mentioning.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

It would be good if one can write a review article on this series of utilities, which can ideally be added in the Linux Section.

Jojo Yee 15. Dec 2010 04:46 PM

Items added or updated most recently: BilliardGL | Fontmatrix | Scribus | TeamViewer | Asunder CD Ripper | JonDo | KeepNote | Tomboy Notes

wdhpr 09. Jan 2011 03:27 AM

deleted file recovery for linux
 
Hi Jojoyee

I accidentally deleted a file the other day and it got me searching for a undelete utility for Linux specifically ext3. I did not find much. What I was able to find was TestDisk & PhotoRec 6.11.3 . Unfortunately it uses the line command. For one file it just wasn't worth it. Others I found are not free and cost as much as $59.00 US

Any Ideas

Wdhpr

wdhpr 09. Jan 2011 06:28 AM

update to previous post
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdhpr (Post 43657)
Hi Jojoyee

I accidentally deleted a file the other day and it got me searching for a undelete utility for Linux specifically ext3. I did not find much. What I was able to find was TestDisk & PhotoRec 6.11.3 . Unfortunately it uses the line command. For one file it just wasn't worth it. Others I found are not free and cost as much as $59.00 US

Any Ideas

Wdhpr

Talk about a coincidence. Low and behold dottech.org Has a review on TestDisk and PhotoRec. (Dated Oct 2009) Thought it may be of interest to others.

Here is a brief review of a undelete utility summited today at GAOTD by Ashraf of dottech.org


Cheers
Wdhpr

wdhpr 14. Jan 2011 06:19 AM

Clipboard Manager
 
When using Ubuntu ever notice if you copy text but then close the application you copied the test from you can no longer paste it to something.

Parcellite is a very simple and light weight clipboard manager. It will sit in your tray and will keep a running copy of copied text.
There are others but I like the simplistic nature of this app.

Wdhpr

Ritho 14. Jan 2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdhpr (Post 43956)
When using Ubuntu ever notice if you copy text but then close the application you copied the test from you can no longer paste it to something.

I had never noticed that. It may have happened to me, but I did not realize what was going on.


A software I think is a gem is Remastersys. While it can be used more or less like a basic backup tool, its ability to make a Live CD (Actually DVD Usually) of your current installation along with all of your customizations and installed programs is what makes it such a unique tool. It won't preserve things like installed proprietary graphics drivers, but those are easy to reinstall. It only works with Debian or Ubuntu based distros. (Mandriva has a similar tool of its own) http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

I think this tool may be responsible for a lot of the numerous "distros" floating around out there that are nothing more that customized Ubuntu.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.