Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   Linux (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/linux/)
-   -   Best Free Software for Linux (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/linux/2468-best-free-software-for-linux.html)

wdhpr 14. Jan 2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

from me :o
When using Ubuntu ever notice if you copy text but then close the application you copied the test from you can no longer paste it to something.
Meant to say TEXT not TEST....lol
I need work with my proof reading:o

Cheers
Wdhpr

1002richards 14. Jan 2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritho (Post 43958)
A software I think is a gem is Remastersys.

+1 to that, I distro hop a lot and use Remastersys to get back to 'tweaked' installs when I get bored with the latest & greatest!

wdhpr 15. Jan 2011 03:45 AM

What is remastersys?

Quote:

Remastersys is a tool that can be used to do 2 things with an existing Debian, Ubuntu or derivative installation.

1. It can make a full system backup including personal data to a live cd or dvd that you can use anywhere and install.
2. It can make a distributable copy you can share with friends. This will not have any of your personal user data in it.
I have to say, from what I have read, Remastersys is one of the coolest utilities for Linux I've come across so far. I can also see why you said its most certainly been used to create off shoots of Ubuntu or at least those tailored distro's that focus on specific needs. I see a use for this already. For instance uncle Bob wants to try linux but first you want to ensure you tweak the distro which will help him to get started in a environment that he will find familiar. He could use the customized live cd you made for him and then all he has to do after installing the system is install driver software specific to his computer.

I hope Jojo adds this to the list.

Jojo Yee 15. Jan 2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdhpr (Post 44050)
What is remastersys?

I have to say, from what I have read, Remastersys is one of the coolest utilities for Linux I've come across so far. I can also see why you said its most certainly been used to create off shoots of Ubuntu or at least those tailored distro's that focus on specific needs. I see a use for this already. For instance uncle Bob wants to try linux but first you want to ensure you tweak the distro which will help him to get started in a environment that he will find familiar. He could use the customized live cd you made for him and then all he has to do after installing the system is install driver software specific to his computer.

I hope Jojo adds this to the list.

Thanks for the link wdhpr. It's now in the list.

wdhpr 15. Jan 2011 05:25 AM

We need to thank Ritho :)

I never heard of it untill he mentioned it.

He also says its handy if you had a hardware failure and then replaced the faulty componant you will still be able to restore your system where as a image back up would fail due to the changes in the hardware. Cool :)

Ritho 15. Jan 2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdhpr (Post 44054)
He also says its handy if you had a hardware failure and then replaced the faulty componant you will still be able to restore your system where as a image back up would fail due to the changes in the hardware. Cool :)

Please read this way..."where as an image backup may fail due to the changes in the hardware."

A lot depends on which hardware has been changed. Just a change of the graphics card, or a processor upgrade, probably won't mess things up to bad. A motherboard change, especially if there is an architecture change involved will very likely cause a multitude of problems. (Some people run into this when they buy a new computer, and then think they can re-image the drive, or simply pop their old hard drive in it and be on their way.)

Now to make a caveat, I am not sure about how well Linux does with this kind of thing. It may very well cope a lot better than Windows does. Windows usually will not boot at all.

wdhpr 15. Jan 2011 07:27 PM

From the remastersys website:
Some notes about using the dist option

Quote:

You should start with a clean install of Ubuntu or variant and use a single user to make all changes. You should not install any proprietary video drivers like the nvidia or ati drivers as they will not be used on the livecd and users will have to reinstall them after installation. Clean up history and cache and copy over the contents to /etc/skel but be sure to change the ownership of everything in /etc/skel to root. While the livecd/dvd is being created, you should not open any other apps or windows.
Keeping in mind that I haven't attempted to create a live cd from my system and If were. I would start from a clean install and tweak it towards the end user. With that said I also don't believe it some easy process that I would be able to do in a hour. But whats important is. it can be done. Try doing that with Windows.

I have been one of those people who's computer has crashed hard from a motherboard failure. The result New computer, fresh install and hours and hours to get it close to were I left off. If I can make a backup of my linux platform with my preferred apps installed and the important files that I need. I could be up and running in a half hour. After that all I need to do is sync my documents, email and browser.
Try doing that from an Image on a new computer.

For those reasons Remastersys seems to be very worth while.
Again not having actually done this. The proof will be in the pudding.

Wdhpr

1002richards 15. Jan 2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdhpr (Post 44108)
I can make a backup of my linux platform with my preferred apps installed and the important files that I need. I could be up and running in a half hour. After that all I need to do is sync my documents, email and browser.
Try doing that from an Image on a new computer.

For those reasons Remastersys seems to be very worth while.
Again not having actually done this. The proof will be in the pudding.Wdhpr

I've done it several times and it's as easy as you'd expect. Just installed one of my Remastersys to a USB to make a persistent live back-up of my 10.04 that I'd backed up to DVD through Remastersys.

Hope it works for you ...

Jojo Yee 22. Jan 2011 02:57 AM

Gizmo has a review on Remastersys in this article. I've added a link from Best Free Software for Linux to that review.

Ratzo 24. May 2011 09:28 AM

portable apps
 
Here is a link to some portable apps for Linux
http://portablelinuxapps.org/ I have not tried any myself as yet .


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.