Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > Linux

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08. Jun 2018, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,244
Default Please explain why?...

  • Why when you install some distros it takes longer to remove the stuff you don't need than it did to install what you do need?
  • Why does the installer state "almost finished copying files" when the ***** indicator is only half way across the window?
  • Why when you choose English does your boot screen show another language just because your time zone is different or you use another type of keyboard?
  • Why do 99% of people who see my Linux installs have ecstatic fits over the speed and beauty but continue to use Windows?
  • Why does't every distro use the Deepin installer?
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Jun 2018, 02:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
  • Why does the installer state "almost finished copying files" when the ***** indicator is only half way across the window?
Copy files is only one of the stages to go through. After which there may be expanding files, installing files, etc.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Jun 2018, 02:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
  • Why do 99% of people who see my Linux installs have ecstatic fits over the speed and beauty but continue to use Windows?
A good question MC. You know, not everyone is as smart as MC. Most people use a device out of the box. Take for example, my family members don't even bother what operating system is running on their device, either mobile, laptop or desktop. I need to spend time to explain to them firstly the term of operating system, then differences between various choices of desktop and mobile OSes. Let alone telling them how to install a Linux distro.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Jun 2018, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
  • Why when you choose English does your boot screen show another language just because your time zone is different or you use another type of keyboard?
  • Why does't every distro use the Deepin installer?
Not sure about these but my boot screen always shows English when I install a distro using the English keyboard despite the main language in my time zone is not English. Probably this depends on how a distro is done with the Deepin installer, which claims to be easy to use and customizable with necessary features including the language selector, account settings, timezone settings, partition settings, install progress, etc.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Jun 2018, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
  • Why when you install some distros it takes longer to remove the stuff you don't need than it did to install what you do need?
Probably it feels sad to go. Some stuff even pops up "Tell me why you don't like me" in a browser when you remove it from your device.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Jun 2018, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo Yee View Post
Copy files is only one of the stages to go through. After which there may be expanding files, installing files, etc.
I looked into this but I believe this is just the copying and nothing else.

With some distros you don't get this because there is an "unsquash" routine first followed by the installation so the install process hangs around 20% for some time and then jumps forward to near the end.

With those distros that show just a copy process bar moving forward that needs to reach the end before the system install process begins, it would just be nice if the "nearly finished" notice did not appear until much nearer the end.
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Jun 2018, 07:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo Yee View Post
Not sure about these but my boot screen always shows English when I install a distro using the English keyboard despite the main language in my time zone is not English. Probably this depends on how a distro is done with the Deepin installer, which claims to be easy to use and customizable with necessary features including the language selector, account settings, timezone settings, partition settings, install progress, etc.
This suggests the boot language depends on the keyboard type selected which I don't really get because surely this should be set according to the system language. I can't check this though because I've found it impossible to get an English layout keyboard here.
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Jun 2018, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
jim
Editor
 
jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: near Ashford Kent England
Posts: 467
Default

I would absolutely LOVE to ditch Microshaft generally but wife and I play many games (not online) and Windows is apparently the only system that supports this - at least for the many that we like (Tomb Raider and so on).
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Jun 2018, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I would absolutely LOVE to ditch Microshaft generally but wife and I play many games (not online) and Windows is apparently the only system that supports this - at least for the many that we like (Tomb Raider and so on).
This is true although game support via Linux has improved dramatically over the past few years, including that provided using Wine. A quick search by name in a few of the popular distro forums will soon reveal which games are supported or not.

There are other information sources too such as:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/games...nux-with-wine/
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.