Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > Linux

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20. Oct 2013, 04:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cthulhux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 271
Default

Consider my post as a friendly question for which wording you would choose if you were in my place. If someone tried to argue with you, completely based on lies, how would you react?

See, I'm not in a mood to get personal here. I don't even know you guys well enough. However, I'm not in a mood to be threatened either. "The inevitable", oh wow. Calm down please. If anyone considers it as an attack when I call someone who lies a liar, I'm terribly sorry, it was not my intention. Could we please leave this kind of dispute now?
__________________
Hi. I'm new here.
Cthulhux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20. Oct 2013, 04:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post

See, I'm not in a mood to get personal here. I don't even know you guys well enough. However, I'm not in a mood to be threatened either. "The inevitable", oh wow. Calm down please. If anyone considers it as an attack when I call someone who lies a liar, I'm terribly sorry, it was not my intention. Could we please leave this kind of dispute now?
Sure, consider it closed and thank you for your understanding.

Please feel free to continue the conversation and provide any further links you feel are useful to the debate.
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Oct 2013, 12:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
J_L
Co-Author, Best Free Security List
 
J_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
You implied Linux was "safe from being infected/attacked", be it by malware, be it by backdoors. Now what?

http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_1115 (please notice the year this was published in).

Wilders Security, where people discuss whether Avast or AVG was the better snake oil. Really?
Who are you talking to? You have some serious bias problems that clouds basic reading comprehension.

One mention of Linux flaws on an article about something else. Linked PDF doesn't contain the word backdoor. Typical of what you presented so far.

If you bothered to actually read without too much bias, you'll find a significant percentage of users not using anti-virus programs there. I suggest you read the posts by Hungry Man for a start (although there are other experts), and learn something (especially about things like hardened Gentoo kernel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
Consider my post as a friendly question for which wording you would choose if you were in my place. If someone tried to argue with you, completely based on lies, how would you react?

See, I'm not in a mood to get personal here. I don't even know you guys well enough. However, I'm not in a mood to be threatened either. "The inevitable", oh wow. Calm down please. If anyone considers it as an attack when I call someone who lies a liar, I'm terribly sorry, it was not my intention. Could we please leave this kind of dispute now?
Really, who are you to judge what are lies and truth with the paltry amount of evidence provided? Further proof that your argument is opinion-based, rather than factual.

In the end, we don't agree with each other. That won't change without conclusive evidence, which I doubt there is. The difference though is arrogance, which doesn't help your case with what you've provided.
Therefore, I'll refrain from unnecessarily dragging out this topic when this thread should be about open-source expansion, until something worthwhile is posted.
J_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Oct 2013, 05:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,392
Default

I'd second Wilders as a good resource. The general environment is not so over-the-top Linux as found in a lot of other forums, although the technical stuff is there if you want it. Also, notice of issues good or bad arrives there quickly, if not first.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Some good multi platform stuff here too.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/

Pretty good summary about the state of Linux here:

http://netrunner-mag.com/?p=3306
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Oct 2013, 10:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cthulhux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_L View Post
I suggest you read the posts by Hungry Man for a start (although there are other experts), and learn something (especially about things like hardened Gentoo kernel).
A kernel that needs separate hardening? Impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_L View Post
Really, who are you to judge what are lies and truth with the paltry amount of evidence provided?
Truth is what has evidence. Simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy
Pretty good summary about the state of Linux here:

http://netrunner-mag.com/?p=3306
Hm. While I like how Dedoimedo regularly kills hypes, his article is based on a false assumption: We all love Linux, right. Or at the very least, we like it a lot. (And he calls Linux an "operating system" which is, technically, not true either...)

Most of his "why Linux rocks" paragraphs also work on BSD, OSX and Windows; except the pricing, maybe. So that's not the "state of Linux" when you can just change screenshots and names and still come to the same conclusion.
__________________
Hi. I'm new here.
Cthulhux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Oct 2013, 11:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
... he calls Linux an "operating system" which is, technically, not true either...
I'll bite. Why isn't Linux an "operating system"?
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Oct 2013, 11:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cthulhux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 271
Default

Because Linux is a kernel. GNU is an operating system, BSD is an operating system, Windows is an operating system. Linux is one of the GNU and BSD kernels. Not the only one.
__________________
Hi. I'm new here.
Cthulhux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Oct 2013, 11:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remah View Post
I'll bite. Why isn't Linux an "operating system"?
Seems Wikipedia got it wrong too.

"Linux was originally developed as a free operating system".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Oct 2013, 11:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cthulhux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 271
Default

Linux was originally developed as a proprietary terminal emulator, to be precise.
(Linus said something like that in "Just For Fun".)
__________________
Hi. I'm new here.
Cthulhux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22. Oct 2013, 12:44 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
Because Linux is a kernel. GNU is an operating system, BSD is an operating system, Windows is an operating system. Linux is one of the GNU and BSD kernels. Not the only one.
Technically you are correct.

But there are two problems with criticizing Dedoimedo about this:
  • You don't appear to be completely consistent yourself in the many posts I've read on TSA. Even here, the GNU operating system is "GNU/Linux" as the GNU Project keep telling us. Whereas BSD has its own kernel and is an operating system.
  • The common parlance is the context for websites like this. So communication and understanding are enhanced by using the non-technical and better established meaning of Linux despite the approbation of the GNU Project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
Most of his "why Linux rocks" paragraphs also work on BSD, OSX and Windows; except the pricing, maybe. So that's not the "state of Linux" when you can just change screenshots and names and still come to the same conclusion.
In terms of Dedoimedo's article "Eight things that Linux could do better", it takes nothing away from the article to say it could apply to other OS. That is what I would expect given that evaluations of what could be improved are based on consumer needs and expectations rather than on the software per se.
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.