Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   Internet, Web Apps and Networking (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/internet-web-apps-and-networking/)
-   -   DuckDuckGo, Ixquick, and Search Engines (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/internet-web-apps-and-networking/7217-duckduckgo-ixquick-and-search-engines.html)

Rizar 21. May 2011 04:26 PM

DuckDuckGo, Ixquick, and Search Engines
 
I've yet to find a clear winning search engine. It would be nice if Google or Yahoo had URL search parameters like privacy oriented ones, Ixquick or DuckDuckGo.

I've never been able to setup Ixquick the way I would like and it's way too slow over my connection. The weighty themes are difficult to disable with adblockers.

I was easily able to setup DuckDuckGo, and I enjoyed doing so. It's fast and has lite versions (but they don't work with the parameters below). Here are my Iron parameters that I am trying out as my default search engine:

http://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s&kb=n&kc=-1&ke=-1&kf=w&kl=wt-wt&ko=-1&kp=-1&kq=-1&kr=-1&kv=1&ky=1&k1=-1&k4=-1

The only problem is the search results are a bit worse than Google and Yahoo. Its been best for simple searches. I'm not so sure I like the atypical single page approach.

eyeb 21. May 2011 09:02 PM

i dont really see why people care about privacy for things like search terms...

you don't want people to track what you are searching for? Then that makes the search engine not as good. Google works well because it can tell what people are searching for and what links they click on from the search. Then they can move that link up to the top so next time the search is seen, you dont have to scroll down as far to find link.

I mean it isnt like google is asking you for your name/phone/age/etc whenever you search. The only thing it asks is that it be allowed to know what you are searching and if you found what you are searching for.

wdhpr 22. May 2011 02:01 AM

Of course your correct eyeb.
Quote:

you don't want people to track what you are searching for? Then that makes the search engine not as good. Google works well because it can tell what people are searching for and what links they click on from the search. Then they can move that link up to the top so next time the search is seen, you dont have to scroll down as far to find link.
Google is woven through the Internet and is not limited to its search engine and with so much money involved it sometimes can feel like the fox is guarding the hen house.

Rizar 22. May 2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

t isnt like google is asking you for your name/phone/age/etc whenever you search
This is actually a good safety and privacy note -- don't enter any of that info into search engines because the Orwellian Eye will get back to you! See here: http://www.worldprivacyforum.org/sea...ivacytips.html

Also:
http://www.ixquick.com/eng/protect-privacy.html (info on their privacy rationale)
http://duckduckgo.com/privacy.html (info on their privacy rationale)
http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/consumer-privacy-project
http://www.brighthub.com/internet/se...es/109963.aspx

I originally used Google because of its simplicity over Yahoo, but the major search engines lack the options and customization of some of the smaller competition.

I've been using DuckDuckGo for the day and am quite impressed so far. I especially like the greater choice and customization. And it's even simpler than Google the way I have it setup. I'll probably have to use Google or Yahoo for advanced searching, but the smaller search engines may be good enough for regular searching.

eyeb 22. May 2011 05:58 AM

hm, i find it interesting about this take on privacy
http://donttrack.us/

Because I happen to like the idea that google is used to track disease outbreaks. H1N1 was a big example of this. If you happen to remember using google maps to follow where it was.

The entire thing about this is my IP and I want it private... IP doesn't really identify you :S It's like calling someone with phone and not having them see your phone number. Sure, you can block it if you are concerned but people don't see number showing as a privacy issue. IP is your computer's calling card so to speak, you can have it blocked a number of ways. But expecting the company you are using to do the work and block it for you? Doesn't make sense to me. It would be like me calling customer service then asking them to erase evidence that I called. Well they do ask if you want your call to be recorded, but that is only the talking parts, the actual call is still recorded even if you tell them not to record call.

And in this regard, google does offer you ways to protect yourself
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals
http://www.google.com/privacy/faq.html
http://www.google.com/support/webmas...?answer=164133

and all things aside, google does offer https service for search, which is what those other products listed above use for their "privacy"

Bob 22. May 2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeb (Post 52902)
i dont really see why people care about privacy for things like search terms...

you don't want people to track what you are searching for? Then that makes the search engine not as good. Google works well because it can tell what people are searching for and what links they click on from the search. Then they can move that link up to the top so next time the search is seen, you dont have to scroll down as far to find link.

I mean it isnt like google is asking you for your name/phone/age/etc whenever you search. The only thing it asks is that it be allowed to know what you are searching and if you found what you are searching for.

As far as I know, the main reason people don't like having their search terms tracked is that they don't like being individually profiled by Google. This morning, Google offered me a new highlighting system for my Gmail messages so that "we can find out what's important to you" (or words to that effect). I clicked "no thanks".

MidnightCowboy 22. May 2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizar (Post 52917)

I've been using DuckDuckGo for the day and am quite impressed so far. I especially like the greater choice and customization. And it's even simpler than Google the way I have it setup. I'll probably have to use Google or Yahoo for advanced searching, but the smaller search engines may be good enough for regular searching.

I use DDG on all my browsers now mainly because of the clutter free look. Only if I feel I might be missing something do I look into Google, although it hardly ever happens that I find something new of relevance.

garth 22. May 2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy (Post 52946)
I use DDG on all my browsers now mainly because of the clutter free look. Only if I feel I might be missing something do I look into Google, although it hardly ever happens that I find something new of relevance.

Same....:)

eyeb 22. May 2011 04:53 PM

hm maybe i'm just the odd one out, but DDG looks just like google to me excep it's red and it moved the side links to right side instead of google's left side.

If it's because there is no preview thing for search page, adblock can block it (I know... there should be option to turn it off) but I happen to like the preview.

Plus I can't bring myself to verbally say I use duckduckgo without it sounding like a kid's game when I'm trying to say I 'm searching online. I can say I googled ____. I can' t say I DDG'ed or DuckDuckGo'ed ____.

But then again I suppose I am a google fan. I'll stop defending it now though :D Just giving out my views on it lol.

deya 22. May 2011 09:52 PM

I think most people who use Google to search never consider the alternatives, probably never go further than the first three or four pages of results, nor worry about being tracked. It's convenient, the big brand name, same as Yahoo and Bing. They trust it. But the alternatives are always worth trying.

There are a couple of variations on Ixquick - Startpage.com and Startingpage.com, same company, same approach to privacy but different results. Ixquick gathers results from various popular search engines whereas Startingpage results are Google only, but with the privacy aspect of Ixquick included.

DuckDuckGo does provide good quality search results and I use it a lot, especially with browsers that don't have add-on support for WOT and I find it better to use than the WOT Surf Canyon search engine.

The one I use most frequently is Yandex, it's Russian, probably has the same approach to privacy as Google as well but that doesn't bother me too much. It's a useful search engine, clean layout with useful search features and provides good results. Yandex also warns you of sites that 'may harm your computer' more than any other search I've used. If you come across one it gives you the reason why, malicious content etc, but also allows you to view the site via a 'secure cached page'

How accurate the warnings are I don't know but WOT also works fine with Yandex, although if it turns up what it classes to be an unsafe site the WOT icon doesn't show at the side, it's like the Yandex warning overides it. I realise that it's country of origin may put some people off using it, and that's fine, but Yandex is a big player in the world of search.

Depends on your needs, or your fears, and it's interesting reading this. But search is big business and businesses want their product as high up the search rankings as possible, which is understandable, they also go a long way to funding it all. But the alternatives more often than not turn up better quality results.

Bob 23. May 2011 01:02 AM

Am I missing something, or does DDG not provide statistics (numbers of search results etc)?

MidnightCowboy 23. May 2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 52992)
Am I missing something, or does DDG not provide statistics (numbers of search results etc)?

Can't answer this one myself because I don't use search stats. There is a lot of extra stuff available though so maybe such a facility does exist somewhere? :D

This one might interest some because it sends your keywords straight to Google for suggestions, but searches are preformed on Duck Duck Go. You can choose to do this direct, proxied or encrypted.

Bob 23. May 2011 12:15 PM

Thanks MC - As you say, they have a lot of extra functions, but I couldn't find result numbers. I feel lost without them and would really recommend DDG include them. Oh, that and a name change: it's one of those cases where the abbreviation seems preferable to the full name. Er, no offence meant... MidnightCowboy is a handsome choice :D

[Btw, MC, what's up with your gif? http://tinyurl.com/44tvckz]

MidnightCowboy 23. May 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 53024)

[Btw, MC, what's up with your gif?

If you're referring to the one above, it's one of the official DDG logos :)
http://duckduckgo.com/tools.html

I've actually taken it out now because I didn't realize it was animated :o A few problems saving stuff into the forum and displaying it today ;)

kendall.a 11. Oct 2011 08:37 PM

For all you DuckDuckGo users out there, is there a way to sort results by date?

When using Google, I often search "within the last year" or "within the last month". I can't seem to find that option with DDG?!

MidnightCowboy 11. Oct 2011 08:49 PM

Sort of possible, but limited.

http://duck.co/topic/filter-search-results-by-date

J_L 16. Oct 2011 04:51 AM

I prefer Ixquick, because of more useful features and search criteria.

MidnightCowboy 16. Oct 2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_L (Post 61450)
I prefer Ixquick, because of more useful features and search criteria.

This has prompted me now so I've just installed ixquick into Opera. I'll see how it goes.

deya 16. Oct 2011 01:07 PM

StartingPage shows the same results as Google but with the Ixquick privacy features. There's also StartPage metasearch, which has the time search feature that kendall mentioned, all part of Ixquick. See here. WOT works in them all.

StartingPage

StartPage

Both have the Ixquick advanced settings etc.

Anupam 16. Oct 2011 01:53 PM

Well, this discussion got me interested in these alternative search engines, specially with their cleaner looks, and of course privacy features.

Only reason I had not been paying attention to this is, because I think that while using this alternatives, its always in the back of my mind that, what if by using these, I am losing out on the search results that Google provides.. are they as good as Google?

But now am interested. Google has become irritating.

I tried DuckDuckGo, but WOT does not seem to work with it. Anyone knows how to make WOT ratings appear in search results?
Also, by default DuckDuckGo's interface does not appeal because of its large fonts, and also single page search results, which is not to my liking.

Ixquick looks good to me, and so does StartingPage, which uses Google as the search with privacy of Ixquick. Also, it works with WOT, and it can also be incorporated into Firefox. I think I will use it.

Which one would you recommend.. Ixquick, or StartingPage. Also, whats the difference between StartingPage, and StartPage?

deya 16. Oct 2011 03:02 PM

Anupam; With DuckDuckGo you need to click settings - site icons - and from the drop down select 'just WOT (trust) ratings' then click 'home' and then the WOT icons should show in your results.

StartPage and StartingPage seem to show the same results, but StartPage allows you to use more languages and has the 'time search' feature that was mentioned by kendall. They're basically the same as Ixquick, same company. But StartingPage only uses Google search results, whereas StartPage and Ixquick are metasearch and use several search engines for results. Bit confusing really, I think it's more to do with personal prefs as to which one you choose to use - slightly different features.

Anupam 16. Oct 2011 03:51 PM

Thanks deya :). I think I will add Ixquick, and StartingPage both. Both look like good alternatives.

26Dolphins 18. Oct 2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deya (Post 61470)
StartingPage shows the same results as Google but with the Ixquick privacy features. There's also StartPage metasearch, which has the time search feature that kendall mentioned, all part of Ixquick. See here. WOT works in them all.

StartingPage

StartPage

Both have the Ixquick advanced settings etc.

Thanks for this. Switched over a few days ago and am very happy with it :)!!

Cheers

deya 28. Oct 2011 12:03 PM

Noticed this yesterday on StartPage and Ixquick.

Anupam 28. Oct 2011 12:07 PM

I noticed that too, and its a good move. I have been using Ixquick for a few days, and I like it now. I have enabled https on both StartingPage, and Ixquick. However, I find Ixquick a bit slow to open up, and operate. I tried StartingPage, and its better, so I am using that more now.

MidnightCowboy 29. Oct 2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deya (Post 62078)
Noticed this yesterday on StartPage and Ixquick.

Thanks deya :)

Like Anupam I sometimes notice a slight lag, but not enough to put me off using it.

MidnightCowboy 13. Nov 2011 07:53 AM

Just to note that the new default search engine shipped with Linux Mint 12 is now Duck Duck go :)

Terarus 13. Nov 2011 03:12 PM

For comparison purposes; could someone familiar with duckduckgo compare it with dogpile? I'm not so concerned with privacy so we'll exclude it as an advantage/disadvantage for now.

Anupam 18. Nov 2011 08:38 AM

StartingPage has an autosuggest feature like Google... but its very bad. Sometimes, that feature is useful.

stve 07. Dec 2011 01:03 AM

Google is a great search engine & tailors its searches to give you what it thinks are the most relevant to you based on your previous searches.
Follow the links to see how this can become a problem.
http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser...r_bubbles.html
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/t...roblems/29879/
http://www.seroundtable.com/google-s...nse-13591.html

Terarus 07. Dec 2011 02:51 AM

Anyone has thoughts on Yacy? the peer to peer search engine


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.