Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   Internet, Web Apps and Networking (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/internet-web-apps-and-networking/)
-   -   IE Losing Browser Battle (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/internet-web-apps-and-networking/4031-ie-losing-browser-battle.html)

MidnightCowboy 04. May 2010 02:39 PM

IE Losing Browser Battle
 
According to this report IE's market share has now dropped below 60% for the first time, losing ground to Firefox and Chrome.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10095730.stm

vasa1 04. May 2010 03:37 PM

I wonder how long it will take for governmental organizations, financial institutions such as banks, and other service providers in India to accept that other browsers can be better. They all seem to believe that Internet Explorer is the thing. Even more funny is the insistence on IE6.

What is not funny is that many of these sites do not function properly with other browsers.

Rizar 04. May 2010 04:01 PM

A lot of public and school computers I've noticed have both Firefox and IE on them. Usually both way out-of-date!

Rizar 04. May 2010 04:07 PM

I think the article is right that it will be a slow climb for Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, etc. Microsoft may not be as vigilant at pressing IE, but it's still quite sneaky about it. You can't really get the thing off your system, and many programs seem to use the connection settings of a control panel regular, "Internet Options", which looks very much like a component of IE!

deya 04. May 2010 06:53 PM

For anyone who's interested you can view the charts on the netmarketshare site. You can view the 'browser version market share' here

.. and you can view the 'operating system market share' here

You can mouse over the the 'reports' menu at the left hand side of the page and use the drop downs to view other charts and trends for search engines, OS and browsers, although you can't view all of them unless you're registered. Even so, it gives you a bit of insight into what people are using.

Just for those who take an interest in such stuff.

MidnightCowboy 04. May 2010 08:07 PM

Thanks deya, this really does put some meat onto my link's bones :)

deya 04. May 2010 10:20 PM

Looking at those stats it's interesting to consider why MS are going to launch a new browser this year (IE 9) that 'they say' won't work with XP, which has the largest OS market share by a long way and probably will have for several years to come. As vasa1 and Rizar have mentioned, IE is used in many organisations the world over, and it will be running on XP.

Companies that I know all use XP, although some do now use FF as an alternative to IE, but there is no way they're all going to start using Win 7 any time soon, and none use Vista. A massive percentage of businesses run on XP worldwide, and in the current economic climate none that I know of are looking to change. So why try to keep up with the browser competition by releasing one that doesn't work on maybe three quarters of Windows OS ? I reckon MS will have to have a re think otherwise Chrome, FF etc will be rubbing their hands with glee.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the three PDF's that can be downloaded from the netmarket website make for a good read, especially if you own or maintain websites. Commercial or otherwise.

Terarus 05. May 2010 01:25 AM

I think the choice to not target XP makes sense from a financial sense.
XP, as popular and stable as it may be, is old and it doesnt' make much, if any, money for MS anymore. By leaving them out on new softwares such as IE9 and windows media 12 and coupled with a massive advertising budget, it could be a way of encouraging users to upgrade their systems. (keep up with the jones effect) and make more money for MS. While the transition to Win7 may take some time (though the avg person changes around once every 2-3yrs with the younger generation changing even faster), it is unlikely that MS will lose huge browser shares even if xp can only use versions up to ie8. Afterall, ie6 is still hanging in existence and its unlikely ie8 would just suddenly disappear from xp systems

vasa1 05. May 2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terarus (Post 28131)
I think the choice to not target XP makes sense from a financial sense.
XP, as popular and stable as it may be, is old and it doesnt' make much, if any, money for MS anymore. By leaving them out on new softwares such as IE9 and windows media 12 and coupled with a massive advertising budget, it could be a way of encouraging users to upgrade their systems. (keep up with the jones effect) and make more money for MS. While the transition to Win7 may take some time (though the avg person changes around once every 2-3yrs with the younger generation changing even faster), it is unlikely that MS will lose huge browser shares even if xp can only use versions up to ie8. Afterall, ie6 is still hanging in existence and its unlikely ie8 would just suddenly disappear from xp systems

Let's see. Perhaps, MS may have to come up with a better business model than one which tries to force unnecessary upgrades of operating systems in the name of "user experience".

A similar situation prevails with their Office suite. Quite a few users actually prefer 2003 over the "ribbon" 2007.

As far as the "younger generation" goes, perhaps the varied operating systems for mobile computing may not have them as reliant on MS anymore.

deya 05. May 2010 02:12 PM

Okay, here's the link for the StatCounter global stats. This one allows you view things a little more easily by country or contintent. It's best viewed using the bar graph option and then select the region, browser, OS, versions etc, from the drop downs.

I don't have access to as many website stats as I used to but I still do for a handful of sites. They show more hits from FF 3.6 and IE7, on average IE7 being three times more popular than IE8, although there are still many hits from IE6 as well. Hits from Chrome is definitetly on the rise, as are the ones from iPhone and Blackberry which may, or may not, confirm what vasa1 has pointed out. The other browser that registers quite a percentage of hits is Maxthon 2.0, which may surprise a few people.

It's interesting to look at the StatCounter graphs to see the difference in popularity for browsers in different regions and countries. Take the results for Opera, and look at it's popularity in Russia, Ukraine and that region. Then look at the results for Opera in the USA or UK ... I'll use those countries only as an example.

Stats are what they are [boring to most people] but I think if you look at them you'll see that browser trends do alter as newer versions are released, and that people who use the IE alternatives such as Chrome etc are more likely to update and use the latest versions when they become available. On the other hand, IE users appear to be more reluctant to do that and so stick with the older one.

But if you do use the StatCounter link, as I said, tick the bar graph option on the right of the page. It's easier to understand than the default line graphs.

It's just another viewpoint.

06. May 2010 04:11 AM

You guys may be interested in the situation here at TSA so I've posted our browser figures for April 2010 and 2009.

Our users are of course more tech savvy than users as a whole but there are a couple of things worth noting.

First our high current percentage of Chrome users - 13%

Second Chrome's gain has come from Firefox users rather than Internet Explorer.

Gizmo

TSA April 2010

1. Firefox
559,481 46.99%
2. Internet Explorer
376,883 31.66%
3. Chrome
158,948 13.35%
4. Opera
48,204 4.05%
5. Safari
34,332 2.88%
6. Mozilla
5,767 0.48%
7. Opera Mini
2,179 0.18%
8. SeaMonkey
1,613 0.14%
9. Mozilla Compatible Agent
999 0.08%
10. IE with Chrome Frame
449 0.04%


TSA April 2009

1. Firefox
370,316 55.46%
2. Internet Explorer
214,577 32.14%
3. Chrome
35,539 5.32%
4. Opera
30,578 4.58%
5. Safari
11,184 1.67%
6. Mozilla
3,434 0.51%
7. SeaMonkey
930 0.14%
8. Mozilla Compatible Agent
270 0.04%
9. Opera Mini
161 0.02%
10. Camino
151 0.02%

tushR 06. May 2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasa1 (Post 28103)
I wonder how long it will take for governmental organizations, financial institutions such as banks, and other service providers in India to accept that other browsers can be better. They all seem to believe that Internet Explorer is the thing. Even more funny is the insistence on IE6.

What is not funny is that many of these sites do not function properly with other browsers.

I work in a IT MNC - most of our sites are meant to run only in IE - better few are meant to run only in IE6 - with huge effort we implemented IE7....IE 8 is distant dream.
Everyone knows IE is sad but for corporates its all about SLA driven support - Using IE > If tomorrow something goes wrong in the system - Microsoft doesn't get the chance to say its some third party software / browser causing this...

I feel IE still survives (specially in corporates) because of the "package" : Gold Partner, Integrated Solutions, Discounted software / OS - Package, SLA, Instant hotfixes (private) for gold partners etc....
---------
Firefox...Opera....Chrome...what are these? Many won't have heard of them.

tushR 06. May 2010 05:39 AM

"First our high current percentage of Chrome users - 13%
Second Chrome's gain has come from Firefox users rather than Internet Explorer."
-----------
I feel Chrome is way faster than FF (with add-ons) - so when visiting this site i use Chrome - as there no advertisements / flash Ads here - I am less concerned about security and more of speed.

Jojo Yee 06. May 2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianjrichards (Post 28218)
You guys may be interested in the situation here at TSA so I've posted our browser figures for April 2010 and 2009.

Our users are of course more tech savvy than users as a whole but there are a couple of things worse noting.

First our high current percentage of Chrome users - 13%

Second Chrome's gain has come from Firefox users rather than Internet Explorer.

Thanks for the info. I note that among the top five, Chrome and Safari experienced an increase.
  1. FF -8.47%
  2. IE -0.48%
  3. Chrome +8.03%
  4. Opera -0.53%
  5. Safari +1.21%

vasa1 06. May 2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tushR (Post 28220)
I work in a IT MNC - most of our sites are meant to run only in IE - better few are meant to run only in IE6 - with huge effort we implemented IE7....IE 8 is distant dream.
Everyone knows IE is sad but for corporates its all about SLA driven support - Using IE > If tomorrow something goes wrong in the system - Microsoft doesn't get the chance to say its some third party software / browser causing this...

I feel IE still survives (specially in corporates) because of the "package" : Gold Partner, Integrated Solutions, Discounted software / OS - Package, SLA, Instant hotfixes (private) for gold partners etc....
---------
Firefox...Opera....Chrome...what are these? Many won't have heard of them.

Doesn't speak much for India as the intellectual powerhouse it loudly portrays itself to be.

However, with MS cracking the whip on licenses, some companies are restricting the number of PC's running MS Office and using OpenOffice.org instead.

freedog96150 07. May 2010 06:41 AM

Be interesting to see if IE9, the most *standards compliant* version of IE ever, has any impact on the numbers a year from now. With webkit support and a supposedly super-fast javascript rendering engine they could regain some market share as well as solidify their corporate standing. Of course, the big glitch in the whole plan will be the adoption of Win7 since it is reported that IE9 will not operate on anything less than Vista. Hmmm......

vasa1 07. May 2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedog96150 (Post 28269)
Be interesting to see if IE9, the most *standards compliant* version of IE ever, has any impact on the numbers a year from now. With webkit support and a supposedly super-fast javascript rendering engine they could regain some market share as well as solidify their corporate standing. Of course, the big glitch in the whole plan will be the adoption of Win7 since it is reported that IE9 will not operate on anything less than Vista. Hmmm......

Will there be versions for operating systems other than Windows (Apple, Linux)?

freedog96150 07. May 2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasa1 (Post 28283)
Will there be versions for operating systems other than Windows (Apple, Linux)?

MS is pretty vague on their website. At this point in time they only support Vista with the platform upgrades and Win7, so my guess is that support for Apple and Linux will be absent in beta and RTM releases.

I'm humored by watching them jump around all excited about building in HTML5 support (which broke with the latest preview release), CSS3, SVG graphics and some other features.

The explanation that baffles me is the one they use to justify why they will only support Vista forward. They claim that the new IE uses advanced GPU resources which are not present in XP. Funny thing is that I use FF as my primary on an XP system and I access all the CSS3 and HTML5 functions just fine. Smells like bull droppings to me. If they want to force the upgrade to Win 7, why not just come out and *tell* people that? I would surely understand and not begrudge them if they simply said "we want you to buy our shiny new OS, so here is some software that only works on that shiny new OS as an incentive." But to hand out some bull about GPU's.....doesn't cut it for me.

vasa1 08. May 2010 08:14 AM

I remember burger joints and 7-11's having a No shoes, no shirts, no service policy. Perhaps, MS wants to have something similar with IE9 and the Internet!

tushR 09. May 2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasa1 (Post 28231)
Doesn't speak much for India as the intellectual powerhouse it loudly portrays itself to be....


Sorry! :( forgot to add, 70% of the users are not from India, from India we provide the technology backbone.
Anyways I never looked at things from this angle....point was very few would know/care to use something other than IE.

vasa1 09. May 2010 05:34 AM

You are right. I shouldn't have made a country-specific comment but the frustration of encountering blockages in the internet gets to a person sometimes.

Jojo Yee 09. May 2010 06:48 AM

Google Chrome 5 Beta Released
 
Chrome 5: Faster and better

Quote:

The first thing you'll notice with Google's new beta of its Chrome Web browser is that it's faster -- much faster -- than the last version.

The new Chrome has more than just speed and security going for it though. It also includes several new features. The one I like the most is expanding Chrome's bookmark sync, from just letting you keep your bookmarks in sync with multiple computers to letting you sync browser preferences such as themes, homepage and startup settings, and Web content settings across PCs. If you're like me and you use several computers this is one handy feature.

It also includes several HTML5 features such as Geolocation APIs (application programming interfaces), App Cache -- HTML5's answer to the old Google Gears for offline Web applications -- and file drag-and-drop capabilities.

redWayne 30. May 2010 08:55 PM

IE 9 is going to be awesome. It has a technology no other browser has. It will render a website by using the graphic card which is a lot faster than the cpu.

J_L 30. May 2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redWayne (Post 29898)
IE 9 is going to be awesome. It has a technology no other browser has. It will render a website by using the graphic card which is a lot faster than the cpu.

Google says you're wrong.

Doobie 01. Jun 2010 04:55 AM

News Item: IE has a bigger market share than all competitors combined.
Forum headline: IE Losing Browser Battle.

IE will always dominate because it is the bundled Windows browser. Firefox got a foot in the door because MS let IE development stagnate for several years (for lack of competition).

It sure is sweet today having Firefox, Chrome, and Opera to choose from. We've never had so much browser goodness before.

bo.elam 02. Jun 2010 03:29 AM

I think Doobie is right when he says that IE will always dominate. This
is true with the average users but not so with people like us that are
willing to try different options or that are interested in security. I am
always advising people on why they should not use IE and not many
listen or follow the advise.
Bo

vasa1 02. Jun 2010 05:39 AM

Let's see how many mobile devices use IE9.

vasa1 03. Jun 2010 08:30 AM

And which OS does the iPad use? Since IE (any version) is restricted to devices running Windows, I doubt the iPad will accommodate IE.

And then there are the other tablets. Many of them seem to intend using Android. Again, being light-weight in terms of resources, Wine may not be an option and so IE won't be here either.

A further "enabler" was the decision, a few months ago, in the EU to give purchasers a choice of browser.

Anupam 03. Jun 2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasa1 (Post 30077)
And which OS does the iPad use? Since IE (any version) is restricted to devices running Windows, I doubt the iPad will accommodate IE.

iPad is from Apple. So, it will use Safari as the browser... its obvious.

Jojo Yee 03. Jun 2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasa1 (Post 30077)
And which OS does the iPad use?

iPad runs a modified version of the iPhone OS. Most apps which are designed for the iPhone should be able to run on iPad.

vasa1 03. Jun 2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 30081)
iPad is from Apple. So, it will use Safari as the browser... its obvious.

To you. :)

maplichen 03. Jun 2010 08:00 PM

As Opera seems to be the browser to beat on mobile devices, Safari might not be the obvious choice for people on the iPad. Additionally, since incoming tablet manufacturers have generally dropped the android idea in place of windows 7, it may be that IE comes to have a place in the tablet market as well.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.