Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > I Want a Freeware Program that ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05. Dec 2009, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 49
Default check new mail on the Web from several providers

Hi,
I often need to work on-site to my customers and I need to check mail from there.
I have 3/4 accounts to check simultaneously. I cannot install and configure an e-mail client on a computer that is not mine.
Is there any Web site that allows checking mail of different providers (lets say Gmail, Hotmail and other local providers) from a single place?
Thanks!
stregacomandacolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05. Dec 2009, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stregacomandacolor View Post
I have 3/4 accounts to check simultaneously. I cannot install and configure an e-mail client on a computer that is not mine.
Is there any Web site that allows checking mail of different providers (lets say Gmail, Hotmail and other local providers) from a single place?
Love to know if there's one. BTW, I'm using Digsby on my PC to check incoming mails from Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo, and am quite happy with it.

I also came across a portable version of Digsby, which I have yet to try it.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05. Dec 2009, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Been Here Since the Begin
 
kendall.a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 2,335
Default

I've used ePrompter in the past and really liked it. However, it is a download that you install on your PC.

Check it out:

http://www.eprompter.com/
__________________
Been here since the beginning.
kendall.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05. Dec 2009, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Editor
 
rhiannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stregacomandacolor View Post
Hi,
I often need to work on-site to my customers and I need to check mail from there.
I have 3/4 accounts to check simultaneously. I cannot install and configure an e-mail client on a computer that is not mine.
Is there any Web site that allows checking mail of different providers (lets say Gmail, Hotmail and other local providers) from a single place?
Thanks!
Gmail will check up to 5 additional email addresses and funnel them all into your gmail account if you have one. You have to add each address one at a time and they send a verification email to each one, after that it can check email however you decided to set it up.
Directions here:
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/0...ple-email.html

Windows Live Mail does the same.

Mail2Web will check all emails in one place. I think you have to create an account (free) to check more than one address.

And some good suggestions from Digital Inspiration.
rhiannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2009, 03:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maestro di Search
 
Jojo Yee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon View Post
And some good suggestions from Digital Inspiration.
Good article. Earlier I tried Webmail or Web2Mail, but failed to check mails from Yahoo as it doesn't support POP/IMAP unless you use a paid-for Plus account (who will pay for it when we have free Gmail which supports POP/IMAP?).

NutshellMail looks good after trying it. I set up Gmail as my main account and let NutshellMail notify me in Gmail of incoming mails from Hotmail and Yahoo Mail. A 'cloud' alternative to Digsby for email notifications.

Last edited by Jojoyee; 06. Dec 2009 at 03:41 AM.
Jojo Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2009, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
jim
Editor
 
jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: near Ashford Kent England
Posts: 467
Default

I don't use any email client on my PCs. I use Fastmail.fm inbox as my home page and check it from wherever I am. Personally, I use a paid account as you get more facilities but you can use their free one. You can check any/all other email accounts instantly or at any predetermined interval. I think the free version allows this also.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2009, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon View Post
Gmail will check up to 5 additional email addresses and funnel them all into your gmail account if you have one. You have to add each address one at a time and they send a verification email to each one, after that it can check email however you decided to set it up.
Directions here:
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/0...ple-email.html

Windows Live Mail does the same.

Mail2Web will check all emails in one place. I think you have to create an account (free) to check more than one address.

And some good suggestions from Digital Inspiration.
Many thanks for your reply.
I know I can check all my mails from a single account, but I'm not sure it is what I want to do. I think that in this case all my mails would be moved to that account, correct? Or would they stay also in the original account?
I'm afraid it would be a mess at the end...

I gave a look at Web2Mail but again I'm not sure it is what I am looking for. I can already check my mail from the Web. I need a site that lets me check all my accounts from a single place. Can I do this with Web2Mail? I couldn't find any info about this.

I also tried Fuser. I like the UI very much. But unfortunately it can't check my accounts! I'm using Italian providers and it seems it can't check them.

Thanks!
stregacomandacolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2009, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
I've used ePrompter in the past and really liked it. However, it is a download that you install on your PC.

Check it out:

http://www.eprompter.com/
I gave a quick look at this and the UI looks good.
But unfortunately I don't think I can install something on the customer's PC...
Thank you very much anyway!
stregacomandacolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2009, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I don't use any email client on my PCs. I use Fastmail.fm inbox as my home page and check it from wherever I am. Personally, I use a paid account as you get more facilities but you can use their free one. You can check any/all other email accounts instantly or at any predetermined interval. I think the free version allows this also.
I quickly created a free account and tried to retrieve my mails with Fastmail.fm. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to work. Folders get synchronized, but no new message arrives (I sent me some messages to give it a try). The interesting thing here was that it can retrieve IMAP accounts, so that messages stay in their original accounts... if it only worked...

Thanks!
stregacomandacolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06. Dec 2009, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Editor
 
rhiannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stregacomandacolor View Post
I quickly created a free account and tried to retrieve my mails with Fastmail.fm. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to work. Folders get synchronized, but no new message arrives (I sent me some messages to give it a try). The interesting thing here was that it can retrieve IMAP accounts, so that messages stay in their original accounts... if it only worked...

Thanks!
Just a thought, but you could use a portable version of an email program and run it from a USB stick - Thunderbird has a portable version.

eMailaya does too but only checks one account unless you pay - last I looked it was $5.00USD. Just a note, a few of the anti-virus programs flag emailaya as a threat; it isn't.
rhiannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.