Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > General Computer Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24. Nov 2011, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
emmjay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recover XP using Linux CD

I am getting BSODs on my XP/Pro system. I can not boot using any of the options. Some time ago I created a XP WINPE CD using Paragon and I have a full backup image on the C drive, but the archive file can not be found, so I can not restore.

I had heard somewhere that I can use a Linux CD to recover Windows, but I have no idea how to do that. I have Ubuntu 10.10 on a CD.

Sure could do with some suggestions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24. Nov 2011, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

If you've got a Windows XP Pro CD then you can try to repair the install using that.
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24. Nov 2011, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
4goTTen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Rafael, Argentina
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remah View Post
If you've got a Windows XP Pro CD then you can try to repair the install using that.
Right. Is your first step. Also, you can try "fixboot" command, instal recovery console, etc. A good idea could be you point the failure error of bsod
__________________
You call destiny to the future you can't control.
4goTTen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24. Nov 2011, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,276
Default

emmjay, I have moved the thread to this forum, because its more of a Windows problem rather than a Linux query.

You can use Linux CD, but mostly it is used to copy the files, and folders from one hard disk to another... when Windows cannot boot up. There are however some Linux discs which do contain other system tools like partitioning etc., but I don't think that's required here.

If you have an XP disc, that would be the proper way to go.

BSODs generally indicate that something is wrong with the system. So, my advice is to concentrate on solving that. When BSODs occur, they have a certain error number, which indicates what kind of problem it might be. These error messages are of these type :

0x00000001: APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

So, note down that error message, and we can help solve from there.

I hope you do have the XP disk with you.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24. Nov 2011, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
emmjay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Like most users, my XP/Pro was preloaded, so I do not have an XP CD.

I have a WINPE CD which I created with Paragon. This allowed me access to the system. It found my backups on the HP external HDD but when I tried to recover the image it asked for the driver for the HDD. The drivers are on the HDD and not on a CD, so I could not honor the request. I had to abort this avenue of repair.

My next tactic was to use a W7 install CD. This allowed me to get into 'repair your system'. I opened the command prompt and ran CHKDSK /f /r as an administrator. The details came back as MBR error (makes sense as I am getting BSOD errors).

Me thinks I need to rewrite the MBR!!! Can anyone point me to a download for this (XP specific)? It would be even more helpful if it came with instructions (I can be very dangerous when it comes to repairing system problems, so a short leash is a good thing )
  Reply With Quote
Old 24. Nov 2011, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
4goTTen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Rafael, Argentina
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmjay View Post
Like most users, my XP/Pro was preloaded, so I do not have an XP CD.

I have a WINPE CD which I created with Paragon. This allowed me access to the system. It found my backups on the HP external HDD but when I tried to recover the image it asked for the driver for the HDD. The drivers are on the HDD and not on a CD, so I could not honor the request. I had to abort this avenue of repair.

My next tactic was to use a W7 install CD. This allowed me to get into 'repair your system'. I opened the command prompt and ran CHKDSK /f /r as an administrator. The details came back as MBR error (makes sense as I am getting BSOD errors).

Me thinks I need to rewrite the MBR!!! Can anyone point me to a download for this (XP specific)? It would be even more helpful if it came with instructions (I can be very dangerous when it comes to repairing system problems, so a short leash is a good thing )
If you have acces to another computer with a good bandwidth, try downloading. From there you can repair or install recovery console and use commands:

FIXMBR
FIXBOOT



and so on. Also try this : fdisk /mbr (Don't if default NTFS file system is being used)

I've found this, but not sure if it works, maybe you can just give a try and tell us:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...-Console.shtml
__________________
You call destiny to the future you can't control.

Last edited by 4goTTen21; 24. Nov 2011 at 05:24 PM.
4goTTen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25. Nov 2011, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
emmjay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you for trying to help me on this.

My USB HDD is a storage only device (not bootable). I do not need to boot from a USB, I just want to access my backups from this device. I need a driver to make this work under Paragon and as this unit is plug and play no drivers are available for download from HP. I can see the device when I run Paragon restore but it does not recognize the archives files as backup files.

I need to do some more research.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25. Nov 2011, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
4goTTen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Rafael, Argentina
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmjay View Post
Thank you for trying to help me on this.

My USB HDD is a storage only device (not bootable). I do not need to boot from a USB, I just want to access my backups from this device. I need a driver to make this work under Paragon and as this unit is plug and play no drivers are available for download from HP. I can see the device when I run Paragon restore but it does not recognize the archives files as backup files.

I need to do some more research.
If your BIOS supports it, it can be booted. But what you want is a driver for a plug and play device. It's a little hard to find but, we can try. Can you point Hardware and Vendor ID ? Or FCC.

http://i39.tinypic.com/sdlcwo.png
__________________
You call destiny to the future you can't control.

Last edited by Anupam; 25. Nov 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Changed image to a link because it was going out of limits and introducing horizontal scroll
4goTTen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25. Nov 2011, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,276
Default

emmjay, can you tell the error message of the blue screen?
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26. Nov 2011, 04:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

I've corrupted my MBR a few times during my early Linux days. As 4goTTen21 says you should be able to repair your MBR using the console disk which is what I have done. Later I came across Paragons rescue disk which boots to a nice easy to use GUI.

I'm a little confused about your USB HDD. It should be accessible otherwise it wouldn't be much good. I also don't understand why Paragon doesn't recognize your backup files they should be on your drive inside a folder labeled arc_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or arc_and a fifteen digit number inside that folder there should be a file with a .PBF ext. I use Paragon to backup my Linux Mint OS it works great and its saved my bacon in the past.
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.