Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > General Computer Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17. Jul 2010, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
Actually, there has been a number of reports recently of people having trouble accessing Google or their Gmail accounts. It appears to be a fairly widespread issue.

I know that for me, accessing Gmail is very slow. This isn't a new thread, but it has very recent replies:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...7c49f9b3&hl=en
I can't even access the link you have given Kendall. The link takes me to google search.....
cleanclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Jul 2010, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,276
Default

I would strongly advise you to install WOT, and NoScript add-on for Firefox, looking at the present circumstances.

Further, I would even advise you to download and use Chrome, or a Chrome based browser like SRWare Iron, since they use the sandboxing technology... until its cleared that your system is clean.

Also, please do not use online banking, or other such things too, for the time being.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Jul 2010, 07:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
I would strongly advise you to install WOT, and NoScript add-on for Firefox, looking at the present circumstances.

Further, I would even advise you to download and use Chrome, or a Chrome based browser like SRWare Iron, since they use the sandboxing technology... until its cleared that your system is clean.

Also, please do not use online banking, or other such things too, for the time being.
Thank you Anupam. I already have Wot. But the No script add-on disables java script so have disabled it. I have not accessed my online banking account for a month now. i have scan with antispywares for infections now. Will tell you about the results soon.

Thank you once again for the help
cleanclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Jul 2010, 07:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,276
Default

Welcome . Do keep us posted. Good luck.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Jul 2010, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Been Here Since the Begin
 
kendall.a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 2,325
Default

Quote:
I can't even access the link you have given Kendall. The link takes me to google search.....
That's odd. I just clicked on the link (open link in new tab) and it opened fine. Anyone else having trouble accessing the link?
__________________
<-------Just jammin to some music....
kendall.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Jul 2010, 08:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Malwarebytes and trendz did not detect any malware. However Superantispyware detected
11 Adware tracking cookie.
cleanclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Jul 2010, 09:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanclover View Post
Malwarebytes and trendz did not detect any malware. However Superantispyware detected
11 Adware tracking cookie.
The problem with google continues even after cleaning them....
cleanclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Jul 2010, 09:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
Anyone else having trouble accessing the link?
Works fine for me
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Jul 2010, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Welcome . Do keep us posted. Good luck.
thank you Anupam and all. the problem is solved. Actually the google and yahoo websites were blocked in my host file of C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

The solution for this is :You need to modify your hosts file. To do this navigate to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ In this folder you will see a file named hosts. Double click this file and choose to open it with notepad program. Now in notepad delete all the lists of websites that are blocked. Starting where the numbers 127.0.0.1 begin delete all the text. Now go to file and then save to actually modify the file.

Thank you again :-)
cleanclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18. Jul 2010, 06:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanclover View Post
thank you Anupam and all. the problem is solved. Actually the google and yahoo websites were blocked in my host file of C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

The solution for this is :You need to modify your hosts file. To do this navigate to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ In this folder you will see a file named hosts. Double click this file and choose to open it with notepad program. Now in notepad delete all the lists of websites that are blocked. Starting where the numbers 127.0.0.1 begin delete all the text. Now go to file and then save to actually modify the file.

Thank you again :-)
Well i am very late here! but yes some malware would have routed the google url to some malacious IP. That's why no antivirus was picking it up (its just a notepad file with no scripts), though if i remember correctly spybot used to check host file entries, also to note that most antivirus warn you if something is trying to change host files.
So for now issue is resolved though if I was you I would be more worried that what I am missing here that caused the issue?
__________________
Relativity applies to physics, not ethics...
tushR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.