Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > General Computer Support

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25. May 2010, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Thumbs up

Hi atonement,

As a first step you try uninstalling unwanted programs and also stopping unnessary startup programs
Disk cleanup
Start Programs Accessories system tools disk clean


Error Checking
Right click on drive properties tools tab Error checking

Virtual Memory
Note: Please backup registry before doing this.
Run Regedit- HKEY_Local_MACHINE- system currentcontrolset control- session manager click on Memory management - Right click on Clearpagefileat shutdown file - Modify value to "1"


Advance system settings
Run sysdm.cpl advance tab
Try Stop Error reporting option error reporting tab
Decrease visual performance thru performance option .
Disable Automatic restart option thru startup and
recover option.

Regards
Chris

Please reply at your convenience.
pcs365.10 is offline  
Old 05. Jun 2010, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sope View Post
Personally I would :-

Clean junk files (CCleaner)
Scan for malware (using more than one security app)
Uninstall any unnecessary software
Disable any unnecessary start ups (Codestuff Starter)
Defragment
Optimize registry (NTREGOPT)
Defrag pagefile (Pagedefrag)

If no improvement, format and reinstall.
The first four suggestions I do frequently, CCleaner being the most frequent. The last two are brilliant suggestions thank you very much!
I had been looking for a registry optimiser but I was a bit worried about messing up my laptop.
atonement is offline  
Old 05. Jun 2010, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs365.10 View Post
Hi atonement,

As a first step you try uninstalling unwanted programs and also stopping unnessary startup programs
Disk cleanup
Start Programs Accessories system tools disk clean

Error Checking
Right click on drive properties tools tab Error checking

Virtual Memory
Note: Please backup registry before doing this.
Run Regedit- HKEY_Local_MACHINE- system currentcontrolset control- session manager click on Memory management - Right click on Clearpagefileat shutdown file - Modify value to "1"

Advance system settings
Run sysdm.cpl advance tab
Try Stop Error reporting option error reporting tab
Decrease visual performance thru performance option .
Disable Automatic restart option thru startup and
recover option.

Regards
Chris

Please reply at your convenience.
Thanks Chris I will let you know if there are any improvements.
atonement is offline  
Old 06. Jun 2010, 06:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Default Eh, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs365.10 View Post
Run – Regedit- HKEY_Local_MACHINE- system – currentcontrolset – control- session manager – click on Memory management - Right click on Clearpagefileat shutdown file - Modify value to "1"
I do not understand this recommendation. Clearing the page file is a security measure and not a performance or stability measure. The setting causes Windows to overwrite the contents of the pagefile during shutdown thus slowing the process noticably. It does not defrag the pagefile, otherwise we would not need PageDefrag, and it does not delete the pagefile for re-creation on boot-up, which might or might not result in a continguous file.

Kind regards,
Russ

Last edited by Opus; 06. Jun 2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: misspelling
Opus is offline  
Old 06. Jun 2010, 07:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
If you've gone 6 years without a re-format and re-installation of Windows consider yourself VERY lucky. No amount of tweaking, defragging, registry cleaning, etc. can make an impact on system speed like a reformat and re-installation. I strongly encourage you to do so; just plan well ahead and plan on taking a day off work.
Your statement about the impact on system speed is both true and irrelevant. Few users need to squeeze that much blood from the turnip, so to speak. They just need to deal with transient performance degradation that can easily be dealt with by "tweaking, defragging, registry cleaning, etc."

As a leading economist has it, "There are no solutions, only trade-offs." (Thomas Sowell, Basic Economics) The trade-off here is to gain a modest and transient improvement in system performance--over more usual system maintenance methods--at the expense of a great deal of time and effort. Moreover, the cost of the acquisition of the knowledge to do this effenciently is much greater than the average user could make pay off. As the same famous economist says, "Knowledge is not free." (Sowell, Knowledge and Decisions)

I strongly discourage average users from doing routine O/S reinstallation because it is not a useful trade-off for them. Please see this post of mine on this topic.

Kind regards,
Opus
Opus is offline  
Old 06. Jun 2010, 07:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Been Here Since the Begin
 
kendall.a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 2,325
Default

Quote:
I strongly discourage average users from doing routine O/S reinstallation because it is not a useful trade-off for them.
This is a forum and is certainly a great place for discussion and even disagreement. You mention "average user" in your statement. You also mention "routine". First of all, I do not consider most of the people who come here and spend a fair amount of time here to be "average users". Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean by "routine O/S reinstallation". The earlier poster had mentioned that they had gone 6 years without a reinstall. I certainly don't consider a reinstall of an O/S after 6 years "routine".

We can certainly agree to disagree, but reinstalling an O/S after 6 years is not a bad idea at all. However, an even better idea is to make image backups so that you never do have to do a complete reinstall. For example, I just reformatted my HD (that had XP on it) and installed Windows 7 (64-bit). After completing all the available windows updates, I did a complete image backup. Theoretically, I will never had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 7 again; I can just use my image backup. After installing my "keeper" programs and documents (from my external HD); I did another image backup.

For those who do not have image backups (but do backup their documents, pictures, etc.), a O/S reinstall after 6 years is a very viable solution (and a good idea, in my opinion) if they are having issues with their computer.
__________________
<-------Just jammin to some music....
kendall.a is offline  
Old 07. Jun 2010, 06:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

Opus
Quote:
I do not understand this recommendation. Clearing the page file is a security measure and not a performance or stability measure. The setting causes Windows to overwrite the contents of the pagefile during shutdown thus slowing the process noticeably. It does not defrag the pagefile, otherwise we would not need PageDefrag, and it does not delete the pagefile for re-creation on boot-up, which might or might not result in a continuous file.
With this said.
I have deleted my page file to start a new page file from scratch. First I will create a restore point. I just do this when ever I attempt a major tweak. Anway. I go to system properties - advanced - performance settings - advanced at lower right click change and then click on no pagefile. I then delete my page file and reboot. I then go back through the for-mentioned process and then click on system manage. this will create a new page file after which I will optimize about once a week.

I have done this twice in 5 years when experiencing very long boot times. I only do this when I have exhausted all other options. It so far has not broke my system. It has however much improved boot times.

Comments are welcome

Cheers
Wdhpr
wdhpr is offline  
Old 07. Jun 2010, 07:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atonement View Post
I had been looking for a registry optimiser but I was a bit worried about messing up my laptop.
Personally I have found NTREGOPT to be extremely safe and reliable to use. It comes bundled with ERUNT which can be used to make a backup of your registry beforehand.

I usually set PageDefrag to run on next startup just prior to running NTREGOPT which requires a restart to effect it's changes. Job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
I have deleted my page file to start a new page file from scratch.
......................
I have done this twice in 5 years when experiencing very long boot times. I only do this when I have exhausted all other options. It so far has not broke my system. It has however much improved boot times.

Comments are welcome

Cheers
Wdhpr
Interesting, but personally I don't understand how creating a new pagefile will significantly improve boot time, unless it is severely fragmented, in which case PageDefrag should do the job (along with defragging your registry hives at the same time).
Sope is offline  
Old 07. Jun 2010, 08:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Interesting, but personally I don't understand how creating a new pagefile will significantly improve boot time, unless it is severely fragmented, in which case PageDefrag should do the job (along with defragging your registry hives at the same time).
Just to be clear I should of included that I am using winxp sp3.
I too use ERUNT. Great tool and has been around for a long time. The tweaking guide is also worth the read.
As I said I recreated my pagefile after I exhausted other options first. Which included defragging the pagefile. After reading a few articles on the subject. I found that shut downs such as those done by power loss can corrupt the pagefile. Indeed the rare times I did recreate my pagefile It seemed to correct boot times after all other efforts failed.

Cheers
Wdhpr
wdhpr is offline  
Old 07. Jun 2010, 09:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
As I said I recreated my pagefile after I exhausted other options first. Which included defragging the pagefile. After reading a few articles on the subject. I found that shut downs such as those done by power loss can corrupt the pagefile. Indeed the rare times I did recreate my pagefile It seemed to correct boot times after all other efforts failed.
Thanks for clarifying this.

Useful info, cheers!
Sope is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.