Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > General Computer Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18. Jan 2010, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
Several of us have suggested the Windows Clean-up Utility. Have you tried that yet? You can find information and a download at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
sorry kendal when you said windows cleanup utility i thought you ment the disk clean up utility thats why i said i used all the cleaners that i could . i didn't use the installer cleanup.

I have done so now. but the problem is still there.

The problem has started since i re-installed my system to start the year with a clean install.

Although returnil will not let me carry on with the installation i also had the problem with image burn. But with image burn i get a different message when i can tell it to ignore the current running version and continue installing.
But the problem is i don't have a current running version of the programs i am trying to install.

It's taking me ages to respond as i have tried to recover my system using macrium reflect, Although i validated all of my disc's after i have made the backups none of them are working now? I had a copy stored on a removable hard drive. Although that works it was riddled with bugs. So i could not use it.


As a last resort i have used a recovery disk, formatted and deleted all my partitions completely wiped my system of any data and removed the operating system so my drive is completely empty. I reinstalled Xp and went to put all my programs back on but when i get to Image burn it says 'there is already a instance running do you want to ignore and continue installing'
And when i get to Returnl it just won't install because of the currently running version which isn't there.

I downloaded the latest version of returnil. And it comes with a Anti~Virus Program. This one installed alright, but when i go to initialize protection the program freezes.

I have ran anti virus programs and anti malware programs none found anything. All i can think is my system is has bugs in it. And i short of buying a new computer i have no idea how to get rid of them..
__________________
If it ain't broke don't fix it, improve it, break it then fix it
systemcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18. Jan 2010, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Been Here Since the Begin
 
kendall.a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 2,335
Default

I'm sorry that you are having all these issues/problems. I'm at a loss too. However, a couple thoughts:

1. Is Returnil your only problem now? If so, are there alternatives?
2. Since you re-installed your OS from scratch (I assume, and you did not use a image to restore), I'm wondering if this is not a hardware issue? I guess I'm thinking this because with a brand new install of XP, you shouldn't be having these issues. I'm wondering if you have something wrong possibly with your hard drive? You might want to check out Active Disk Monitor (http://www.disk-monitor.com/) and run it for a while. If you haven't already done so, do a chkdsk. Of, if you can afford it, purchase yourself a copy of Steve Gibson's Spinrite.
3. Have you looked to see if Returnil has a forum or support?

That's all I can think of now. Hardware issues could cause problems similar to what you are having; and not just a hard drive issue either.
__________________
Been here since the beginning.
kendall.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18. Jan 2010, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
I'm sorry that you are having all these issues/problems. I'm at a loss too. However, a couple thoughts:

1. Is Returnil your only problem now? If so, are there alternatives?
2. Since you re-installed your OS from scratch (I assume, and you did not use a image to restore), I'm wondering if this is not a hardware issue? I guess I'm thinking this because with a brand new install of XP, you shouldn't be having these issues. I'm wondering if you have something wrong possibly with your hard drive? You might want to check out Active Disk Monitor (http://www.disk-monitor.com/) and run it for a while. If you haven't already done so, do a chkdsk. Of, if you can afford it, purchase yourself a copy of Steve Gibson's Spinrite.
3. Have you looked to see if Returnil has a forum or support?

That's all I can think of now. Hardware issues could cause problems similar to what you are having; and not just a hard drive issue either.
No Returnil isn't the only problem i am using smart defrag and that too is having problems. It hangs when i go to use it and needs to be debuged but never works when i reload it.

i've ran chkdsk and some other programs like dial-a-fix a wide rang of programs but none have fixed the problem. And none are reporting any problems at all.
I have installed new hardware tho.. A USB Keyboard.. Thats the only thing thats new.
No i didn't use a image to restore windows as my 4 backup i had would work 3 just totally failed and the 4th installed a new system but wouldn't load a single thing.
__________________
If it ain't broke don't fix it, improve it, break it then fix it
systemcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Jan 2010, 07:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 97
Default

MSI installer could be at fault here but if that's checked and fixed or no errors to fix then its "possible" you have faulty hardware. Start with checking the RAM, run something like Memtest86+ to check it out.

Another option to try with Returnil is to post at "Wilders Security", they should be able to help. I personally have no experience with Returnil or other such sandboxie programs.

Sorry sometimes there is no instant fix with systems. You have to use the route of trial and error to find what's wrong. Try Memtest86+ and get back with the results.
__________________
[URL="http://www.nela.in"]Rajiv's Blog[/URL]
moserw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20. Jan 2010, 05:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Abandoned
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

systemcrash,
You may want to check out the Returnal forum about this issue. I have seen instances of people with same problem over there, but don't have a link.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101
  Reply With Quote
Old 20. Jan 2010, 09:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 277
Default

the reason i havn't checked the returnil webpage is i think it goes a little deeper then returnil.

I have once again re installed my system today another clean install but with a difference. last time i used a sp3 installer update i had on a external drive, this time i updated everything from microsofts webpage. When it came to my programs image burn once again said ther was another instance running. Returnil installs but won't initiate protection just freezes and the same with smart defrag.

Thats why i think its not returnil.
But on this new system setup i've started having internet problems. Firefox runs in processes but don't load windows. And ie8 loads windows thwn freezes. but if i run a portable version its fine. so im now running chkdsk again.

It has to be hardware. I've done a ram test that passed with no problems, it has to the keyboard
__________________
If it ain't broke don't fix it, improve it, break it then fix it
systemcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Jan 2010, 12:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Been Here Since the Begin
 
kendall.a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 2,335
Default

To reiterate a post I made earlier:

Quote:
Since you re-installed your OS from scratch (I assume, and you did not use a image to restore), I'm wondering if this is not a hardware issue? I guess I'm thinking this because with a brand new install of XP, you shouldn't be having these issues. I'm wondering if you have something wrong possibly with your hard drive? You might want to check out Active Disk Monitor (http://www.disk-monitor.com/) and run it for a while. If you haven't already done so, do a chkdsk. Of, if you can afford it, purchase yourself a copy of Steve Gibson's Spinrite.
I agree, it is sounding more and more like a hardware issue. If it's not RAM, then it's either hard disk or possibly power supply.

I am not a hardware guru, but I do know that there are a number of software alternatives for testing hardware systems. Active Disk Monitor will focus on your hard drive, but there are other options that others might want to suggest to test your system components.
__________________
Been here since the beginning.
kendall.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Jan 2010, 01:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Abandoned
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemcrash View Post
the reason i havn't checked the returnil webpage is i think it goes a little deeper then returnil.

I have once again re installed my system today another clean install but with a difference. last time i used a sp3 installer update i had on a external drive, this time i updated everything from microsofts webpage. When it came to my programs image burn once again said ther was another instance running. Returnil installs but won't initiate protection just freezes and the same with smart defrag.

Thats why i think its not returnil.
But on this new system setup i've started having internet problems. Firefox runs in processes but don't load windows. And ie8 loads windows thwn freezes. but if i run a portable version its fine. so im now running chkdsk again.

It has to be hardware. I've done a ram test that passed with no problems, it has to the keyboard
What is your system specs? You got em listed anywhere?
  Reply With Quote
Old 21. Jan 2010, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDollar View Post
What is your system specs? You got em listed anywhere?
I realised that all my problems were software so i have a solution to it. Use alternative software instead of smart defrag im using MyDefrag im not using Returnil. And the problem with my internet was Ashampoo. I asked it to optimise my internet. So i just used system restore to get rid of that problem.

So i do still have the bugs. But im less afected by them.

When you ask for system specs, Do you want all my hardware specs? or just standard stuff Like Windows Xp Sp3, 512MB Ram 2164MHZ ect?

If you want my complete system specs i can link to a dropbox file The info is i .txt format http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1332965/System/System%20Info
__________________
If it ain't broke don't fix it, improve it, break it then fix it
systemcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21. Jan 2010, 06:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Abandoned
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemcrash View Post
I realised that all my problems were software so i have a solution to it. Use alternative software instead of smart defrag im using MyDefrag im not using Returnil. And the problem with my internet was Ashampoo. I asked it to optimise my internet. So i just used system restore to get rid of that problem.

So i do still have the bugs. But im less afected by them.

When you ask for system specs, Do you want all my hardware specs? or just standard stuff Like Windows Xp Sp3, 512MB Ram 2164MHZ ect?

If you want my complete system specs i can link to a dropbox file The info is i .txt format http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1332965/System/System%20Info
Yeah when I said specs I meant hardware and os version. BTW IMO you could probably benefit by adding another 1/4 to 1/2 gig of ram. What bugs do you still have? When you said you reinstalled it I assumed the os was clean. Just a word of advice you can take it for what it's worth. All those program utilites such as registry cleaners, defraggers, optimizers, uninstallers etc... They usually cause more problems than they fix in the long run IMO. Less is better especially when you are troubleshooting. Defragging- use windows defragger once every month or two. Registry cleaners-stay away from them, if you have to use one then I would suggest CCleaner's built in registry cleaner. Internet optimizers- On broadband connection and moderns os's they are useless. http://www.speedtest.net/
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.