Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > General Computer Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09. Nov 2015, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Default DVD-R problem

Hi,

hope this is in the right spot.

I have placed a DVD-R disc into my computer. It is meant to have a wedding video on it. When I open the disc it says that there are no files on it. But when I look at the discs properties it says that there is no available space left.

Does this mean that there are files on the disc and for some reason they are not being shown? Or does it mean that the disc is blank and there is an error with the properties information?

I am currently using windows 8.1
needhelp101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09. Nov 2015, 05:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,332
Default

Is it a personal disc, or created professionally?

It could just be a bad disc. Sometimes, what happens is that when a disc is created, it can have an error during the process, because of which the properties will show as space being occupied, but the disc won't work.

Try opening the disc directly through a media player.

You could also try it on another computer, or, on a DVD player.

If it still doesn't work, it's probably the case of a bad disc.

Also, sometimes, the way a disc is created, it might show no files when opened, but will play fine on a media player, or a DVD player.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10. Nov 2015, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

I saw your post on another site. There's one recommendation on there that I would also recommend, verifying the disk is readable with Imgburn because it provides very good and useful messages.
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18. Dec 2015, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Yep, Imgburn is the way to go. It has never failed me in over ten years of use.
Longhand52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12. Jan 2016, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4
Default

It could be that the video is in an extension e.g. _ .mpg or even a .avi that is not recognised on the DVD if the video was created on computer motherboard which was a 32bit and your computer motherboard is say Win10 64bit. The video will DEFINATELY not play.
Or the set up could be the other way around.
Do you have this info then I could suggest something to get it playing.
Pensioner 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13. Jan 2016, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensioner 81 View Post
It could be that the video is in an extension e.g. _ .mpg or even a .avi that is not recognised on the DVD if the video was created on computer motherboard which was a 32bit and your computer motherboard is say Win10 64bit. The video will DEFINATELY not play.
Sorry, but I don't think what you write is true. It shouldn't matter whether the video was created on a 32-bit system or a 64-bit.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13. Jan 2016, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

The original problem is probably long gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensioner 81 View Post
It could be that the video is in an extension e.g. _ .mpg or even a .avi that is not recognised on the DVD if the video was created on computer motherboard which was a 32bit and your computer motherboard is say Win10 64bit. The video will DEFINATELY not play.
Or the set up could be the other way around.
Do you have this info then I could suggest something to get it playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Sorry, but I don't think what you write is true. It shouldn't matter whether the video was created on a 32-bit system or a 64-bit.
Anupam, you are essentially correct:
  • If Pensioner 81 was correct then all the old DVDs and videos created with 32-bit CPUs wouldn't be working with the 64-bit CPUs which are in nearly all new computers.
  • The main video file formats have specifications that are independent of the platform they are created on so it doesn't matter if it is a 32-bit or 64-bit CPU.
  • A 32-bit CPU can work with data values that are 64-bit, 128-bit or whatever. Likewise a 64-bit CPU can work with data values that are 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit or whatever. For example, 128-bit data values are used on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems for IPv6 Internet addresses, for the ZFS file system (which has been used for many years in FreeNAS and NAS4Free), and for some cryptographic keys used to provide HTTPS (HTTP over SSL) secure connections.
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13. Jan 2016, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

I should be doing some "real" work but I'll expand on Pensioner 81's suggestion that it is something to do with file formats. It is very unlikely to be correct because the original poster couldn't even get to the files.

Pensioner 81 also appears to confuse two separate issues - linking standard file formats with computer platform - but there actually are problems that can develop because programs are compiled on or for different platforms. Except that nowadays it is normally only badly written or non-standard code that produces the problem where files can only be read on the platform they were created on:

1. In the distant past - I haven't seen this for more than 20 years - some programs have had different file formats for different versions of the program. So the 32-bit version of a program could not read the file created by the 16-bit version and vice versa. But this was not caused by the platform but by the developers of the programs allowing incompatible file formats.

2. Programming language data types can have different bit-lengths on 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
Some 32-bit programming languages have several data types that are all the same 32-bit length. This allows programmers to perform an incorrect action on a data value without causing an obvious problem. But 64-bit programs are more likely to have data types of 64-bit lengths so data types are less likely to be interchangeable. For example, on a 32-bit system the integer and pointer values are usually both 32-bit and can be interchanged but on on 64-bit system they cannot be interchanged because the pointer will be 64-bit. If the data value in a pointer were written to a file then we could get different file contents and even different file size. See the Wikipedia article on 64-bit computing for a comparison of various 64-bit data models designed to provide compatibility with 32-bit data models. The Unix Open specification has an article on the issue of 64-bit and Data Size Neutrality.
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15. Jan 2016, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4
Default

I have two computers one WinXP 32bit and one Win10 64bit some 32bit .avi video will not play on Win10 No .mpg will play at all.
But I do find all my DVD+R video .'VOB files' created on 32bit with Nero 7 PLAY with no problems on Win10 64bit.
needhelp 101 - Said "But when I look at the discs properties it says that there is no available space left." Which seems to show that he had opened Explorer and checked Properties to see memory was used.
So all he needs is why he cannot play the video
I found funny things happen using 32bit video programs even when I install them in Compatibility mode. Freemake Video Converter will not let me drag my files to the menu But if I copy them and just RClick on the Freemake menu I can then paste the video no problem.
Pensioner 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15. Jan 2016, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensioner 81 View Post
I have two computers one WinXP 32bit and one Win10 64bit some 32bit .avi video will not play on Win10 No .mpg will play at all.
First off, there is no such thing as a 32-bit or 64-bit video. Video files have altogether different properties, and have nothing to do with 32-bit or 64-bit.

32-bit or 64-bit applies to operating systems, and the programs that run on these systems.

So, if an .avi video is not playing on Windows 10, then that is because of some other problem.

Which media player are you using to play on Windows 10? And which one on Windows XP? What are the properties of that video?

Let's say that what you say is true, and that bit-wise it affects videos... even then a video playable on a 32-bit OS should easily play on 64-bit OS, because 64-bit OS can handle 32-bit programs... but opposite is not true. A 32-bit OS cannot run 64-bit programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensioner 81 View Post
needhelp 101 - Said "But when I look at the discs properties it says that there is no available space left." Which seems to show that he had opened Explorer and checked Properties to see memory was used.
So all he needs is why he cannot play the video
As I said in my post in response to needhelp... sometimes the disc can show space as full, but then does not show files, because of some kind of error occurring during the write process. This has happened to me at times, and I am speaking from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensioner 81 View Post
I found funny things happen using 32bit video programs even when I install them in Compatibility mode. Freemake Video Converter will not let me drag my files to the menu But if I copy them and just RClick on the Freemake menu I can then paste the video no problem.
Are you sure you mean "menu", or you meant to use some other term. Why would someone drag stuff to menu?

You drag stuff on to an area of the program where dragging the file will have any effect, like adding a file to the work area.

You don't drag files to menu, or even right click on menu to add files. You are confusing things/terms here.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.