Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   General Computer Support (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/)
-   -   Saved Items Not Shown On Desktop (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/15130-saved-items-not-shown-on-desktop.html)

Melita-s 02. Apr 2015 01:17 PM

Saved Items Not Shown On Desktop
 
All of a sudden, items that I save to the Desktop (downloads, documents etc.) is not displayed on the Desktop. They can be found in the Desktop folder of Windows Explorer Library pane. How can I make them also appear on my actual desktop?

Thank you,

Jojo Yee 02. Apr 2015 02:13 PM

Try this if it works for you:

Right-click the Desktop, select "View", then "Show desktop icons".

Melita-s 02. Apr 2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojo Yee (Post 109603)
Try this if it works for you:

Right-click the Desktop, select "View", then "Show desktop icons".

This is already selected. However I deselected and selected it again.

I am sorry I was not clear in my post. The problem started 3 days ago. All desktop items saved prior to that are displayed. Only what I have been saving to the desktop for the last three days are not being displayed, although all items can be found in the Desktop folder.

Thank you,

Burn-IT 02. Apr 2015 09:28 PM

It may not be relevant in this case, but I think there is a limit to the number of items, or the size of the desktop.

sicknero 02. Apr 2015 09:46 PM

Hi Melita, it's possible that your user account has become corrupted.

Try creating another account and see if the problem persists. If not then you can just move everything into the new account and delete the old one.

Better still, if you have an image backup of your O/S.

I'm on W7 by the way, I don't know how this would work with W8.

Melita-s 03. Apr 2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicknero (Post 109611)
Hi Melita, it's possible that your user account has become corrupted.

Try creating another account and see if the problem persists. If not then you can just move everything into the new account and delete the old one.

Better still, if you have an image backup of your O/S.

I'm on W7 by the way, I don't know how this would work with W8.

Hello sicknero,

Thanks for helping. There is only one user account on my laptop and that is mine as administrator. As there is only one user account, the system does not even ask me to login as administrator for functions that need admin privileges, but simply goes ahead with those functions. I just checked some functions that need admin privileges and they are working fine as usual. So, it seems unlikely that my user account is corrupted.

I have to apologize again! :o I am also with Windows 7 Home Premium on an Acer 5250 laptop.

Regards,

Jojo Yee 03. Apr 2015 01:51 AM

A few more possibilities Melita-s:

1. Too many icons on the desktop
2. Icons hidden by malware or other apps
3. The icon cache becomes corrupt

You can find some suggested solutions to the above here: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670504

Melita-s 03. Apr 2015 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn-IT (Post 109610)
It may not be relevant in this case, but I think there is a limit to the number of items, or the size of the desktop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojo Yee (Post 109616)
A few more possibilities Melita-s:

1. Too many icons on the desktop
2. Icons hidden by malware or other apps
3. The icon cache becomes corrupt

You can find some suggested solutions to the above here: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670504

Yes it is too many icons on the desktop! I tried deleting an item and saving something else to the desktop and it worked. I put back the item that was deleted and kept doing the same thing a few times and there is no doubt about it.

Is there some way to increase the capacity of the desk top to hold more items?

Regards,

sicknero 03. Apr 2015 08:35 AM

That's interesting, I've never come across that before. I'm one of those users though who doesn't have anything on my desktop.

Glad you found out the problem anyway ... perhaps a lightweight multi-desktop program would provide a workaround for you, although I've never tried that myself.

Melita-s 03. Apr 2015 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sicknero (Post 109623)
perhaps a lightweight multi-desktop program would provide a workaround for you

I don't know what a "lightweight multi-desktop programme" is. Could you please explain how I can go about this.

Something else I am puzzled about; There are some items in my Desktop Folder that do not belong there. I never put these there (see attachment). They show only in the Desktop Folder and not on the actual Desktop. What goes on here :confused:

Kind regards.

Attachment 1631


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.