Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   General Computer Support (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/)
-   -   Windows 7 and XP connected to each other with Ethernet cable (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/14816-windows-7-and-xp-connected-to-each-other-with-ethernet-cable.html)

Melita-s 08. Jan 2015 08:34 PM

Windows 7 and XP connected to each other with Ethernet cable
 
4 Attachment(s)
I have connected my Windows 7 laptop to Windows XP desktop with an Ethernet Crossover Cable-Cat 6. The adapters are OK, but there is no connectivity. I need help to configure the connections so that Win 7 and XP can communicate with each other, through the Ethernet cable. See screen shots for connectivity details. The first two are of WIN 7 and and the last two are of XP.

Thank you,

Attachment 1599

Attachment 1600

Attachment 1601

Attachment 1602

Burn-IT 08. Jan 2015 11:28 PM

Is this to share folders?

Melita-s 09. Jan 2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn-IT (Post 107010)
Is this to share folders?

Not exactly. I want to transfer folders, programmes etc. between the two computers (send from one to the other and store, so that they both have all the important material). That way I can work on one computer, almost as if I was working on the other, without switching on the other one. Also to see if I can store the disk image of one computer in the hard disk of the other computer, after creating new partitions for that purpose.

I already have TeamViewer and working fine, so file sharing is not a problem. I am trying to see whether these things can be done, using a crossover cable, not dependent on a wireless connection.

Regards,

Remah 09. Jan 2015 07:59 AM

Microsoft has an article on how to do this:
Connect two computers using a crossover cable

Burn-IT 09. Jan 2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

without switching on the other one
Not going to happen unless the drives are external.

Anupam 09. Jan 2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn-IT (Post 107031)
Not going to happen unless the drives are external.

I guess what she means to say is that, because she will transfer all important material from one computer to another, they will have identical material, and therefore, she can work on any of the computer... without having to turn on the other one, in case she needed a file (which will be the case now).

Ritho 09. Jan 2015 09:04 PM

It depends what she means by "without switching on the other one" which is a bit ambiguous.

1. If she means, "without turning the other computer on" then Burn-IT is correct the files won't be available.

2. If she means, "whithout switching herself from one on to the other" assuming they are both running then it will work.

Melita, you probably will want to look at a file synchronization program that will automatically keep your two computers in sync. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...on-utility.htm

Melita-s 10. Jan 2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remah (Post 107017)
Microsoft has an article on how to do this:
Connect two computers using a crossover cable

Thank you for the link. This method works in a very limited sense and the problems I had earlier, trying to connect to 'Home Group' (My thread "How can I transfer data between my 2 computers: 8th December 2014: "General Computer Support"), is repeating again with the Crossover Cable. That is why I got TeamViewer at that time and it gives unrestricted access to either computer. I got the crossover cable to see whether it is possible to get the same unrestricted access using a crossover cable instead of TeamViewer.

Also, the Microsoft article that you referred me to, says "This works best if both computers are running this version (WIN 7) of Windows or Windows Vista". So, right now I don't have much hope of success.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 107034)
I guess what she means to say is that, because she will transfer all important material from one computer to another, they will have identical material, and therefore, she can work on any of the computer... without having to turn on the other one, in case she needed a file (which will be the case now).

That is exactly what I meant Anupam!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritho (Post 107041)
Melita, you probably will want to look at a file synchronization program that will automatically keep your two computers in sync. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...on-utility.htm

Thank you for this. I'll have a look at it later. I am trying to see whether everything in the two computers can be sent back and forth at will, using the crossover cable. It seems to be just wishful thinking at the moment! :mad:

Kind regards,

Anupam 10. Jan 2015 05:03 PM

Your best bet for this project would be to either search for this on internet, and read the various guides/forums, or, post on a network specific forum.

Here is one thread I found, which might be useful. It has a few links.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...ver-cable.html

I will suggest a simple solution. Get an external hard drive, if you can afford it.

Copying/moving stuff to external hard drive will be much faster, from PC to drive, or drive to PC, than through network. It will be a two step process though.

Also, external drive can act as backup too, where you can keep copies of your important files.

Melita-s 10. Jan 2015 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Anupam,

Thank you for this link. I might as well try this one too. The IP address shown on this link (see attachment), is it different to the Internet IP address that is to do with Internet anonymity? I am very poor with Networking :o

How do I access this information in my XP and Win 7?

Attachment 1604

Anupam 10. Jan 2015 07:30 PM

Melita, I am also very poor at networking, and so I have no idea. Sorry. Someone else might be able to help, so please wait for replies :).

Melita-s 10. Jan 2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 107053)
Melita, I am also very poor at networking, and so I have no idea. Sorry. Someone else might be able to help, so please wait for replies :).

No worries. I am sure there will be an answer soon.

Best regards,

Burn-IT 10. Jan 2015 10:22 PM

You can do it without using Teamviewer, but it is far easier to use something like that.
I actually use VNC which is what teamviewer is based on.
Microsoft do have a built in remote viewer in Windows, but it is quite naive.

Melita-s 11. Jan 2015 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn-IT (Post 107055)
You can do it without using Teamviewer, but it is far easier to use something like that.
I actually use VNC which is what teamviewer is based on.
Microsoft do have a built in remote viewer in Windows, but it is quite naive.

Thank you for your response. It is not that I don't like to use TeamViewer. I am quite happy with it. It is in my nature to explore things and I am trying to see what I can do with a crossover cable.

Regards

Ritho 11. Jan 2015 06:41 AM

What you are trying to accomplish is not for the light-hearted, but I tip my hat to you for being willing to try. The process for LAN networking always seems quite straight forward when you read about it, but then when you actually try it there are always these little "gotchas"

One thing to note, is that Microsoft made some big changes to networking from XP to 7 in an attempt to make the process easier. That is why networking 7 to 7 is generally simpler. In 7 the "Homegroup"or "Home Network" was introduced. (maybe it was Vista I don't remember for sure) But "Homegroup" won't work with XP. You need to set up the older type "Workgroup" to share files between XP and 7. These are the terms you will likely want to google if you want to find some step by step guides and tutorials. https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1...+7+&gws_rd=ssl

Melita-s 17. Jan 2015 06:05 PM

I never leave a thread incomplete and I am sorry for the delay due to other urgent matters. Just got around to the finish of this ambitious project.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 107051)
Your best bet for this project would be to either search for this on internet, and read the various guides/forums, or, post on a network specific forum.

Here is one thread I found, which might be useful. It has a few links.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...ver-cable.html

I will suggest a simple solution. Get an external hard drive, if you can afford it.

Copying/moving stuff to external hard drive will be much faster, from PC to drive, or drive to PC, than through network. It will be a two step process though.

Also, external drive can act as backup too, where you can keep copies of your important files.

Thank you Anupam for this link. I changed the computer IPs and subnet mask, the way it is explained there and it was a success! I will go in for a external hard drive soon. XP was able to connect to Win 7, but it came up with the same problems as with my earlier ‘workgroup’ attempt. See here.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...computers.html


Only ‘Public documents’ are accessible. Also, Win 7 asked for a ‘Network password’ to connect to XP. I have never created a network password anywhere! I may have been able to sort this out by creating a network password. I did some tweaking here and there and got the impression that I could iron out much of the problems, but it was obvious that it would be very time consuming. Further more, using the crossover cable made no difference to the way the two computers connected, from the way they connected with the ‘workgroup’ method. The display, behavior and the glitches in everything was identical. It seemed more than unlikely that I would be able to move files, folders and media back and forth at will, like I am able to do with TeamViewer, which really is what I am after.

So I dropped the project to stick with Teamviewer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritho (Post 107057)
What you are trying to accomplish is not for the light-hearted, but I tip my hat to you for being willing to try. The process for LAN networking always seems quite straight forward when you read about it, but then when you actually try it there are always these little "gotchas"

One thing to note, is that Microsoft made some big changes to networking from XP to 7 in an attempt to make the process easier. That is why networking 7 to 7 is generally simpler. In 7 the "Homegroup"or "Home Network" was introduced. (maybe it was Vista I don't remember for sure) But "Homegroup" won't work with XP. You need to set up the older type "Workgroup" to share files between XP and 7. These are the terms you will likely want to google if you want to find some step by step guides and tutorials. https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1...+7+&gws_rd=ssl

Many thanks for the kind words, helpful information and the link. Usually I don't give up this easily, But I realize the wisdom of what you say "The process for LAN networking always seems quite straight forward when you read about it, but then when you actually try it there are always these little "gotchas""

Kind regards to you both,

Anupam 17. Jan 2015 06:23 PM

Well, you gave it your best shot. So, no need to feel defeated. Unfortunate that it did not work out. It would have been a lot easier if the OS were the same, but it's Windows 7 and XP, and because of the changes in both OS regarding networking, you encountered the issues. Atleast you know what to do, if you try this around some time, with same OS.

It's wise not to waste much time on it, specially when there are easier ways of doing it.

Melita-s 17. Jan 2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 107268)
Well, you gave it your best shot. So, no need to feel defeated. Unfortunate that it did not work out. It would have been a lot easier if the OS were the same, but it's Windows 7 and XP, and because of the changes in both OS regarding networking, you encountered the issues. Atleast you know what to do, if you try this around some time, with same OS.

It's wise not to waste much time on it, specially when there are easier ways of doing it.

Thank you for the encouraging words :)

TeamViewer is straight forward and easy. It gives complete freedom of access to everything in a few short steps. I am going to make partitions in the hard drives of the two computers and see if I can save disk images directly from one computer to the other, using TeamViewer. That is going to my next experiment! :D

Best regards,

jim 18. Jan 2015 09:24 AM

So that I get longer time to transfer files, I now use the free version of DropBox instead of TeamViewer. I have got shared folders with two other people plus my laptop and I can now transfer 3.2 gb virtually immediately to/from my desktop PC.

Melita-s 18. Jan 2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim (Post 107275)
So that I get longer time to transfer files, I now use the free version of DropBox instead of TeamViewer. I have got shared folders with two other people plus my laptop and I can now transfer 3.2 gb virtually immediately to/from my desktop PC.

Thank you for stepping in to help.

My work is only between my two computers right in front of me, and it would be a rare occurrence if I ever connect to another's computer remotely. File sharing with others is also not a requirement. I mostly use the LAN connection of Teamviewer for my own activities, and as such, it is more than adequate for me.

Kind regards,

jim 19. Jan 2015 10:58 AM

I only mentioned the many features of DropBox in passing. My point is that any files you have on both your computers that need to be shared/sychronised with each other will do so virtually immediately as long as you are online without any interaction from you. No copying, pasting or anything. Any change to one will be reflected in the other within seconds so you don't need to keep updating. Plus, of course, a backup is always in "the cloud" should you ever need it.

Melita-s 19. Jan 2015 04:09 PM

Yes, you do have a point there that didn't occur to me. I'll check it out today.

Kind regards,


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.