Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   General Computer Support (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/)
-   -   Cloning the hard drive (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/14666-cloning-hard-drive.html)

Melita-s 13. Dec 2014 12:46 AM

Cloning the hard drive
 
I am using Windows 7 and XP. I am thinking of imaging the hard drive of WIN 7, in the hard drive of XP, using an Ethernet cross over cable. Should I first make a separate partition in XP and make the image in that partition?

Thank you,

Anupam 13. Dec 2014 08:02 AM

If you are talking about creating a special partition for the image, no need to do that. The image is a file, like any other ordinary file, and can be stored in any normal partition along with other files.

Do you have any flash drives, or an external drive? If yes, make use of that for storing or transferring the image file. I don't know how fast is the transfer of file over the LAN with crossover cable, but I suppose, that it will take quite long for files of large size, and image file can be of a large size, depending on what size of disk you image, or how much you image.

So, an external hard drive is a better option of storing/transferring files from one computer to other.

Sope 13. Dec 2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melita-s (Post 106102)
I am thinking of imaging the hard drive of WIN 7, in the hard drive of XP, using an Ethernet cross over cable.

So have you now been successful in setting up a network connection between the two PC's via ethernet?

As Anupam says, by far the easiest and most reliable way to save and store backup images of your PC's would be to use a portable external HDD, or at a push, a large USB stick.

Melita-s 13. Dec 2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 106108)
I don't know how fast is the transfer of file over the LAN with crossover cable, but I suppose, that it will take quite long for files of large size, and image file can be of a large size, depending on what size of disk you image, or how much you image.

What would you think if I use Cat5 or 6 crossover, all copper cable. I have been reading up a little on their speeds. I will be imaging only the operating system as protection against Hard disk failure. I back up files on a DVD regularly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sope (Post 106110)
So have you now been successful in setting up a network connection between the two PC's via ethernet?

As Anupam says, by far the easiest and most reliable way to save and store backup images of your PC's would be to use a portable external HDD, or at a push, a large USB stick.

I have got TeamViewer but I like to play with gadgets. Hence, the idea of getting a crossover cable to pay with!

Thank you,

Best regards,

Anupam 13. Dec 2014 03:59 PM

I have no idea about the speed of transfer by cross over cable. You can test it yourself by transferring a large file like a movie, or any large file, and see what speed you get, or how much time it takes.

In any case, image of your system drive is going to be big enough.

Sope 14. Dec 2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melita-s (Post 106116)
I have got TeamViewer but I like to play with gadgets. Hence, the idea of getting a crossover cable to pay with!

If I understand correctly, if you use a crossover cable, it won't simply provide a direct link between your PC's, you will still need to be able to successfully configure a network connection between your XP and Win7 operating systems, something I know you had problems with previously, hence the need for you to resort to using Teamviewer.

I wish you good luck with it though, and please let us know how it turns out.

Melita-s 14. Dec 2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sope (Post 106146)
If I understand correctly, if you use a crossover cable, it won't simply provide a direct link between your PC's, you will still need to be able to successfully configure a network connection between your XP and Win7 operating systems, something I know you had problems with previously, hence the need for you to resort to using Teamviewer.

I wish you good luck with it though, and please let us know how it turns out.

I always collect as much information and guidance as possible, before I do anything that I am not familiar with, so that I don't end up messing up everything. I have learned a great deal and avoided many pitfalls because of the help I always get in this forum. The least I can do is to post the results here and I certainly will.

TeamViewer is a complete success (network connection between the 2 computers), but creating the 'workgroup' was a failure - I could see Winows 7 In XP but not vice versa. Teamviewer gives unrestrited ccess (which Homegroup does not, even if I was successful)), bothways. So, I am better off without Homegroup.

A few more questions please; correct me if I am wrong.

1. If I create the disk image of WIN 7 in it's own HD, I can trasfer that to XP using Teamviewer.

2. I am also going to try this, using the Ethernet crossover cable. Using an externel HD could be even slower for this purpose because it uses a USB cable instead of a Crossover cable. Please see the attachment. This is some information I pickedup on Ebay. I don't understand it fully but from the lottle I do, some of them looks pretty fast to me. Here is the link to the full page:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-Ethe...8626655/g.html

Sope 14. Dec 2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melita-s (Post 106163)

A few more questions please; correct me if I am wrong.

1. If I create the disk image of WIN 7 in it's own HD, I can trasfer that to XP using Teamviewer.

2. I am also going to try this, using the Ethernet crossover cable. Using an externel HD could be even slower for this purpose because it uses a USB cable instead of a Crossover cable. Please see the attachment. This is some information I pickedup on Ebay. I don't understand it fully but from the lottle I do, some of them looks pretty fast to me. Here is the link to the full page:

http://http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-...8626655/g.html

A1. Your Win7 HDD image is likely to be tens of GB in size, for example my C: drive is over 60GB not including personal documents etc. ...I do have a lot of programs etc. installed though!
I doubt very much if Teamviewer will be able to reliably transfer such a large file.

A2. Ethernet transfer speed will be dependent on the speed of the ethernet ports on your PC's, whichever is slowest.
As for USB, again speed depends on which version/s you have.
I suspect that your XP machine will have the slower hardware so that will be the limiting factor.
Either way, disk imaging can be a slow process however you choose to do it.

Here is a very comprehensive list where you can compare the various device bit rates that are available....lots!!:eek:

Melita-s 14. Dec 2014 08:49 PM

Thank you. The list in Wiki is :eek: alright. I got a headache in fact!

I am going to order an Ethernet cable from Ebay. I will get back here with the results.

Best regards,


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.