Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   General Computer Support (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/)
-   -   How do I quote part of a message (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/12533-how-do-i-quote-part-of-message.html)

Melita-s 30. Sep 2013 11:11 PM

How do I quote part of a message
 
When replying to a thread that has many posts, how do I quote only a part from each of the messages, instead of quoting the entire message?

Thank you

mr6n8 01. Oct 2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melita-s (Post 93116)
how do I quote only a part from each of the messages, instead of quoting the entire message?

Thank you

One way is to copy text from the post and put it in your post and then highlight the text and then press the option to wrap quote tags around the selected text. That option looks like a cartoon dialog balloon (just to the left of the #)

you could also just add the quote and /quote tags (add brackets [] around each - will not show here with the brackets)

If you want to show the name of the person put [quote=person name (with a bracket ] after the name and end with the /quote code (putting []s around the code word.

If you want to have a link to the post the quote is from start with [quote=person name;the number of the post]. The number of the post is visible when you hover over the permalink option for the post (it is at the end)

It is a bit hard to show some of that as the board will not show the code in the post when you complete it. If you press quote on mine you will see my name and post number and the quote codes.

Hope this helps - it looks confusing even to me

J_L 01. Oct 2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr6n8 (Post 93120)
Hope this helps - it looks confusing even to me

Why add all that from scratch when you can just subtract text within the [QUOTE] tags?

mr6n8 01. Oct 2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_L (Post 93121)
Why add all that from scratch when you can just subtract text within the QUOTE tags?

That can be done, but the original request was how to quote from each of the messages (plural) from several posts not just the one post.

Joe A.TT 01. Oct 2013 03:41 AM

Melita, at the bottom-right corner of each message there are 3 icons. If you hover your mouse pointer over the middle one it says "Multi-Quote This Message". You have to click the middle icon for each message you want to quote from. Now when you click the Post Reply box you'll see all the selected messages. In each of the quoted messages you can now highlight and delete any text you don't want.

When you add your own comments you must ensure they are outside of square-bracketed tags at the beginning and end of each message.

J_L 01. Oct 2013 05:50 AM

Never knew that, I always middle-clicked the Quote icon and copy pasted the rest into one reply. Thanks.

Anupam 01. Oct 2013 08:04 AM

Thanks Joe... I never made use of that. Will try it sometime.

Personally, I used to right-click on "Quote" and open in a new tab, in case I wanted to quote multiple replies. Then, I copied them all into a reply box, and then took off parts that I didn't need. Long method, yes, but it worked for me.

mr6n8 01. Oct 2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe A.TT (Post 93125)
Melita, at the bottom-right corner of each message there are 3 icons. If you hover your mouse pointer over the middle one it says "Multi-Quote This Message". You have to click the middle icon for each message you want to quote from. Now when you click the Post Reply box you'll see all the selected messages. In each of the quoted messages you can now highlight and delete any text you don't want.

When you add your own comments you must ensure they are outside of square-bracketed tags at the beginning and end of each message.

Never even noticed that. Much easier. Thanks.

Joe A.TT 01. Oct 2013 03:45 PM

At first I was actually surprised that you guys never multi-quoted this way. However, when I reflect on it, it makes me realize how easily any person can sometimes overlook things that have literally been staring-them-in-the-eye all along. ;)

Interesting method Anupam :). I think it may actually be preferable sometimes because it could get quite messy and confusing when dealing with multiple parts of multiple messages.

Melita-s 01. Oct 2013 09:07 PM

Thank you all. It is so easy when you know how!

Regards


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.