Gizmo's Freeware Forum

Gizmo's Freeware Forum (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/)
-   General Computer Support (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/)
-   -   Windows XP Home Edition? (https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/12275-windows-xp-home-edition.html)

Remah 18. Aug 2013 05:54 AM

You can't run Windows freeware without a functioning install of Windows. The same for hardware.

Sope 18. Aug 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remah (Post 91233)
In practice, many people resolve the problem by taking a moral position that Microsoft has failed to provide adequate support so they are morally entitled to do it themselves and create or use any install disk they want. Most people wouldn't do it if they thought Microsoft would pursue legal remedies.

The most legitimate solution to the problem is to upgrade to a fully supported version of Windows such as 7 or 8.

Many people don't want to, or more's the point, can't afford to upgrade to the latest Windows OS. It seems entirely reasonable that they should be allowed the opportunity to maintain the functionality of a PC (and OS) they have already paid for.

Remah 18. Aug 2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sope (Post 91247)
Many people don't want to, or more's the point, can't afford to upgrade to the latest Windows OS. It seems entirely reasonable that they should be allowed the opportunity to maintain the functionality of a PC (and OS) they have already paid for.

I think that both positions are reasonable but just don't meet in the middle because they have very different drivers. Fortunately Microsoft haven't made these things so hard to do that people are left with no options.

v.laurie 18. Aug 2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remah (Post 91253)
Fortunately Microsoft haven't made these things so hard to do that people are left with no options.

Remah, could you explain what these options are? The only option that I see Microsoft offering is to pay for a Windows 7 upgrade and that isn't as easy to get as Windows 8. You can't upgrade to Windows 8 and keep XP software. You have to do a clean install. And an upgrade costs more money than many want to pay. Furthermore, a lot of old hardware that works fine in XP won't work well or at all in Windows 7 or 8. Or do you know of something that Microsoft is offering that I don't know about?

Joe A.TT 18. Aug 2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remah (Post 91206)
...allows a backup copy only if there was no backup originally supplied with the PC. As most pre-installed systems had a backup partition then it is more likely that it is not legitimate...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remah (Post 91233)
Legally it is clear that consumer end-users don't have many options once Microsoft and vendors no longer provide install disks. This leaves you in a kind of black hole where you may not be able to comply with the EULA to get a legitimate Windows install disk.

Remah, I'm trying to wrap my head around what you are saying :confused:. Some of this relates to numerous instructions I see on the internet on how to do a clean install of Windows 7 or 8. Specifically, is it illegal to download an ISO from Digital River and use it to do a clean install? Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is illegal. :eek:

joeguru 19. Aug 2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remah (Post 91236)
You can't run Windows freeware without a functioning install of Windows. The same for hardware.

That goes without saying. But my impression was we are not a Windows support group, unless it's trying to get a freeware to work with Windows, which none of this is about.

Anupam 19. Aug 2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeguru (Post 91269)
That goes without saying. But my impression was we are not a Windows support group, unless it's trying to get a freeware to work with Windows, which none of this is about.

We have been over this before, here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...o-windows.html

Looking at that, it's OK if we provide Windows related support.

George.J 19. Aug 2013 12:23 PM

I won't ever understand why Win8 removed the beautiful Aero feature that was present in Win 7.

Did you notice that Win8 looks just like Win7 in safe mode? :eek: Try it

joeguru 20. Aug 2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 91281)
We have been over this before, here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...o-windows.html

Looking at that, it's OK if we provide Windows related support.

I thought you nixed that idea.

Anupam 20. Aug 2013 08:19 AM

The suggestion to open a separate forum for Windows was nixed, not discussion on Windows. Discussion on Windows can be carried out in forum like before.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.