Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > General Computer Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15. Aug 2013, 04:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wdhpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The north Coast
Posts: 1,513
Default

I'm a bit perplexed with this thread. I have installed Windows7 premium on a Hp and a Compaq computer. The windows 7 disks were for Dell computers (OEM) and therefore the price for each disk was a about $50.00 USD each. They installed with out a hitch and I had NO hardware issues. So do the issues you are mentioning specifically have to do with XP?
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15. Aug 2013, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,174
Default

I've successfully re-installed XP Home on a number of desktop PC's using a slipstreamed SP3 installation disc I originally created from a HP machine following this internet guide.
All the PC's were from various different manufacturers and all activated without problem using their respective original licence keys.
The only difficulty can be in finding the appropriate drivers required for hardware components not covered by Windows, e.g. sound cards.
Sope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15. Aug 2013, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Edtor
 
v.laurie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhpr View Post
I'm a bit perplexed with this thread. I have installed Windows7 premium on a Hp and a Compaq computer. The windows 7 disks were for Dell computers (OEM) and therefore the price for each disk was a about $50.00 USD each. They installed with out a hitch and I had NO hardware issues. So do the issues you are mentioning specifically have to do with XP?
In my experience, Windows 7 has much better hardware support than XP.
__________________
Vic
v.laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16. Aug 2013, 03:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sope View Post
I've successfully re-installed XP Home on a number of desktop PC's using a slipstreamed SP3 installation disc I originally created from a HP machine following this internet guide.
All the PC's were from various different manufacturers and all activated without problem using their respective original licence keys.
The only difficulty can be in finding the appropriate drivers required for hardware components not covered by Windows, e.g. sound cards.
You might have noticed that you're not using a legit Windows install disk. It's actually trivial to edit the install files to allow that kind of behavior. But, I suspect it's against the forum rules to advocate bypassing copy protections or simply grabbing a torrent of a pre-registered copy.
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16. Aug 2013, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobie View Post
YI suspect it's against the forum rules to advocate bypassing copy protections or simply grabbing a torrent of a pre-registered copy.
I'm not aware that I've bypassed any copy protections in creating my own install disk from my own PC.
Neither do I believe it's against Microsoft's licence agreement to reinstall the original OS on a PC and re-activate it with it's own original licence key.
Sope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Aug 2013, 12:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

Microsoft's original EULA for pre-installed Windows XP Home Edition allows a backup copy only if there was no backup originally supplied with the PC. As most pre-installed systems had a backup partition then it is more likely that it is not legitimate to create a Windows XP install disk from an installed version of Windows:
Quote:
Back-up Copy. IF MANUFACTURER HAS NOT INCLUDED A BACK-UP COPY OF THE SOFTWARE WITH THE COMPUTER ON PHYSICAL MEDIA (e.g. CD OR PARTITIONED HARD DRIVE), YOU MAY MAKE A SINGLE BACK-UP COPY OF THE SOFTWARE. You may use the back-up copy solely for your archival purposes and to reinstall the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER. Except as expressly provided in this EULA or by local law, you may not otherwise make copies of the SOFTWARE, including the printed materials accompanying the SOFTWARE. You may not loan, rent, lease, lend or otherwise transfer the CD or back-up copy to another user.
Even if there was no backup supplied with the computer, any attempt to be selective in what you "back up" means that it is no longer a backup. Likewise if the install disk is intended to be used on another computer:
Quote:
Separation of Components. The SOFTWARE is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Aug 2013, 12:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sope View Post
I'm not aware that I've bypassed any copy protections in creating my own install disk from my own PC.
Neither do I believe it's against Microsoft's licence agreement to reinstall the original OS on a PC and re-activate it with it's own original licence key.
I think that Doobie is entirely correct in pointing out that you are breaking the license agreement by using the install disk on many computers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sope View Post
I've successfully re-installed XP Home on a number of desktop PC's using a slipstreamed SP3 installation disc I originally created from a HP machine following this internet guide.
All the PC's were from various different manufacturers and all activated without problem using their respective original licence keys.
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17. Aug 2013, 10:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remah View Post
I think that Doobie is entirely correct in pointing out that you are breaking the license agreement by using the install disk on many computers:
Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for taking the time to look up the relevant information and highlighting it.

My intention wasn't to break any EULA. I was merely looking for a way of performing a fresh installation of XP on an old PC that has a legitimate licence key but no installation disks and a damaged OS or HDD.
Sope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18. Aug 2013, 03:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,741
Default

It's a difficult situation. Even if you buy a second-hand disk the seller is likely to be breaking their EULA so you may not get a legitimate disk that way either.

Legally it is clear that consumer end-users don't have many options once Microsoft and vendors no longer provide install disks. This leaves you in a kind of black hole where you may not be able to comply with the EULA to get a legitimate Windows install disk. This happens because Microsoft's Support Lifecycle Policy makes it clear that support for consumer versions Windows (e.g. XP Home) only runs for 5 years or 2 years after the next major product release. Windows 7, rather than Windows Vista, is taken to be the replacement for Windows XP. That's why Windows XP Home mainstream support ended on 14 April 2009.

The problem is that most of us rely on extended support which is explicitly stated is for users of business and developer products. That's why the consumer install CDs stop being available well before extended support ends, which for Windows XP is on 8 April 2014.

In practice, many people resolve the problem by taking a moral position that Microsoft has failed to provide adequate support so they are morally entitled to do it themselves and create or use any install disk they want. Most people wouldn't do it if they thought Microsoft would pursue legal remedies.

The most legitimate solution to the problem is to upgrade to a fully supported version of Windows such as 7 or 8.
__________________
Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.

Last edited by Remah; 18. Aug 2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Add last paragraph
Remah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18. Aug 2013, 05:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
joeguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 311
Default

What does any of this have to do with freeware?
__________________
To err is human, to blame it on a computer is even more so.
joeguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.