Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Freeware Forum > Freeware Installation & Usage

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23. Aug 2010, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
I now have the response from Sisma. I have asked them, how soon the new version will be released. I will post the reply once I receive it.
Okay, cool.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
About startup with Windows, you can put the shortcut in the startup folder, and the program should start at boot.
I know that. But that does not solve the problem. As I wrote in my last message here above:

"I did try, just for kicks, to create an icon for it and set it to run 'Minimized' in the shortcut's properties. The problem is though, that when I try to run it, I get a .NET error, but I do have the latest version & updates installed into Windows 7 Ultimate x64."

Now that isn't exactly the same as placing it in the Startup folder, but it's the same effect, since if I place it in my Startup, I'd set it to minimize anyway, just like any other startup program would do normally and I used that option, because the program doesn't have one to start minimized in its options and if I'm going to have to minimize it manually after it starts up, then I might as well start it myself anyway. The point is though, it seems that it must have a problem with the "Minimized" setting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Its good that you liked Sisma. If you have feature requests for the product, you should write to them. I think they will appreciate the feedback. Or, if you want me to convey to them, I can do that.
A god idea, which I did go ahead and do.

I sent them this list as part of my email to them this morning (EST):

1) Password visible by default while creating/editing account,
since I make it visible anyway when entering the password
into the account, to make sure that I have spelled it right,
so really, what is the point in blocking me from seeing it
while I have the account open in create/edit mode?

2) Ability for no Master Password. This should be an option
for those of us who just wish to use this software as a
password database. For example, those of us who kept our
passwords in a text file were obviously not all that
concerned with the security aspect of it. I'm not saying
to eliminate the Master Password completely, but just to
allow the user to eliminate it on their system if they want.
I mean, what I'm doing right now is making the Master Password
just one letter anyway, so I can log in as quick as possible,
so the Master Password for me is useless anyway, you see?

3) Ability to run at Windows Startup, without prompting
for a password, since that defeats the purpose of
automated startup.

4) Ability to Minimize on Startup (both when Windows loads
and when the user chooses to run the program) without
prompting for a password, since that defeats the purpose
of having it run and automatically minimize without the
user having to interact with it.

5) The ability to resize the program window and the option
to have it "remember" size this and the window position.

These are the things, that if the program had, I would absolutely love it and it would have everything I need, except maybe for having an "EMail" slot between the "User Name" and "Password" slots. I should've put that in my list too.

Thanks for all your help and if you think of anything else, lease let me know.
GiantWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 04:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantWaffle View Post
it seems that it must have a problem with the "Minimized" setting.
You are right about this. It has a problem with the startup in minimized window state. It might be a bug. I just tested it, and I too got an error. I simply created a shortcut on desktop, and I changed the window state for run, to minimized. I then started the program, and it threw an error.

Did you mention about this error in your email? If not, then I think you should mention this. I don't see why an error should be generated if the window state is minimized.

The software does not ask for a password when it runs. It asks to load a database, or create a new one. Yes, if you set the option to open a database on startup, then yes, it will ask for a password. I understand that, at that time it can throw an error... but the program throws an error, if I simply change the window state to minimized on startup. This has got to be a bug in my opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantWaffle View Post
1) Password visible by default while creating/editing account,
since I make it visible anyway when entering the password
into the account, to make sure that I have spelled it right,
so really, what is the point in blocking me from seeing it
while I have the account open in create/edit mode?

2) Ability for no Master Password. This should be an option
for those of us who just wish to use this software as a
password database. For example, those of us who kept our
passwords in a text file were obviously not all that
concerned with the security aspect of it. I'm not saying
to eliminate the Master Password completely, but just to
allow the user to eliminate it on their system if they want.
I mean, what I'm doing right now is making the Master Password
just one letter anyway, so I can log in as quick as possible,
so the Master Password for me is useless anyway, you see?
I don't think they are going to agree for these features. The very purpose of these software is to provide security for your passwords. If you ask for the above features, the very purpose of the software is defeated.

As I said before, yours is a special requirement, because maybe you only are the person who uses your PC... but it might not be so for other people. Anyone who wants to use a password manager would definitely want their passwords to be protected... so these features will HAVE to be there.

From security point of view, the feature to show the passwords by default is not good, and not secure. An option may be given to show the passwords, but setting the feature as a default is not a good idea in my opinion, and the developers wouldn't agree to this too.

Again, allowing a blank master password defeats the purpose of the software. So, this is also another thing on which they won't agree.

What your requirement is... is very rare and specific for any person who wants to use such software. I am afraid, they won't agree to the above features. Share their reply here, when you receive it. Would be interesting to see what they have to say.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,334
Default

This is the short response I got from Digital Confidence about my query for the next version :

Quote:
We're afraid we can't give a time estimation at the moment.
Lets hope they release the next version soon.

Its a pity that the portable version does not have the option to save the preferences. I think its a small and very basic thing, and it should have been enabled by default... which would have made it a very good program... but without the option to save... its a flaw.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 05:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
This is the short response I got from Digital Confidence about my query for the next version :

Lets hope they release the next version soon.

Its a pity that the portable version does not have the option to save the preferences. I think its a small and very basic thing, and it should have been enabled by default... which would have made it a very good program... but without the option to save... its a flaw.
Oh, I agree! You're right. It is something that is a basic thing and it should be taken care of immediately!

As for me, I even like to install portable versions of programs in my laptop whenever possible, so that they don't write to the registry and I don't end up with registry issues that always seem to eventually come and the associated slow down that comes with installing a bunch of programs as time goes by. I prefer to just drop the program into a folder, create a shortcut myself and run it. But that's another issue altogether, I guess.
GiantWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 05:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
You are right about this. It has a problem with the startup in minimized window state. It might be a bug. I just tested it, and I too got an error. I simply created a shortcut on desktop, and I changed the window state for run, to minimized. I then started the program, and it threw an error.

Did you mention about this error in your email? If not, then I think you should mention this. I don't see why an error should be generated if the window state is minimized.
No, I did not mention it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
I don't think they are going to agree for these features. The very purpose of these software is to provide security for your passwords. If you ask for the above features, the very purpose of the software is defeated.
That is not true. At least not with #2. You're not understanding what I wrote.

Look at #2. I am talking about when you open the entry and you are in create, or edit mode for an entry. In there, you can click a button to see the password anyway. And that is what many people will do, so that as they create one/edit it, they can see if they're spelling it right. So why not just leave it visible by default when you go into edit mode, for example, which is entirely different than when you're not in that mode and then I can understand it being hidden by asterisks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Again, allowing a blank master password defeats the purpose of the software. So, this is also another thing on which they won't agree.
That may not be necessary. There are other password programs that require master passwords, that will also start up minimized without prompting the user for anything, when Windows starts. That's all I'm really looking for right now. I can live with putting in a password when I call the program up and just use one letter for the password or something.

But I really don't see why it cannot be that one can leave the master password blank. After all, to me, it should be a matter of my personal choice.

For example, no, the padlock is not secure if I leave it unlocked, but the company that makes it does not physically prevent me from leaving it unlocked and hanging on the latch and it still keeps the door from swinging open.
GiantWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 07:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Default

GiantWaffle, I think that what you are looking for is Efficient Password Manager (http://www.efficientpasswordmanager.com).

When you get prompted to create a Master Password, just leave empty the password field, hit OK, and you can use the program without password.
For visible passwords uncheck View-->Hide Password. And of course, it can run at Windows startup.
OpenZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 08:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,334
Default

Good suggestion OpenZero. I just checked out Efficient Password Manager, and it indeed has the features which GiantWaffle requires. It takes a blank master password. It can be set to start with Windows.. although I don't know if it would start up minimized. It should I think.

It is also easy to show the passwords, just uncheck the option to hide passwords, and its done, even for later uses. So, this might be the one which GiantWaffle needs.

I was going to say this, that what I suggested are not the only password managers available. If you check out download sites like freewarefiles, and others, there you will find many free password managers. Its just that you will have to try them to see if they have what you require.

Its good that OpenZero suggested a good one.

I was also checking out another software which was suggested on the main site today. Its MobileWitch Pass Safe. It has the option to startup with Windows, and it is also easy to set the option to show passwords. But, it does not allow a blank master password.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 09:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenZero View Post
GiantWaffle, I think that what you are looking for is Efficient Password Manager (http://www.efficientpasswordmanager.com).

When you get prompted to create a Master Password, just leave empty the password field, hit OK, and you can use the program without password.
For visible passwords uncheck View-->Hide Password. And of course, it can run at Windows startup.
I spent hours testing and hours not only trying out what was suggested, but also searching for one. I then went ahead and spent hours over the last two days, putting my passwords into Sisma (I'm not even done yet).

So I just wanted to let you know that yes, I'm going to have a look at EfficientPIM, but if it turns out to be everything I want and the greatest thing since sliced bread, that I'm going to have to kill you.

I'll let you know.
GiantWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 09:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Good suggestion OpenZero. I just checked out Efficient Password Manager, and it indeed has the features which GiantWaffle requires. It takes a blank master password. It can be set to start with Windows.. although I don't know if it would start up minimized. It should I think.

It is also easy to show the passwords, just uncheck the option to hide passwords, and its done, even for later uses. So, this might be the one which GiantWaffle needs.

I was going to say this, that what I suggested are not the only password managers available. If you check out download sites like freewarefiles, and others, there you will find many free password managers. Its just that you will have to try them to see if they have what you require.

Its good that OpenZero suggested a good one.

I was also checking out another software which was suggested on the main site today. Its MobileWitch Pass Safe. It has the option to startup with Windows, and it is also easy to set the option to show passwords. But, it does not allow a blank master password.
Maybe I'll take a look at that one too. Thanks! And thanks to both you and OpenZero for taking the time to check these things out for me! I feel so blessed (really)!
GiantWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23. Aug 2010, 09:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantWaffle View Post
So I just wanted to let you know that yes, I'm going to have a look at EfficientPIM, but if it turns out to be everything I want and the greatest thing since sliced bread, that I'm going to have to kill you.
I think you will have to, because OpenZero suggested a software which has it all what you need. I suspect you might be adding the passwords into Efficient Password Manager soon . Good luck.

On a serious note, glad to be of help .
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.