Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Site Forums > Comments, Suggestions and Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16. Jan 2014, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 39
Default Please Stop Notifying Me

Hello,

For the past few months I have been receiving notifications every time anyone posts in the Best Free File Manager.

This is despite the fact I have followed these instructions of yours a number of times:


You can cancel these notifications from your Gizmo's Freeware account
settings at http://www.techsupportalert.com/user/28975/edit or by unchecking
the notifications flag at the time you post a comment.


I have replied to the email gizmo [ at ] techsupportalert [ dot ] com 4 or 5 times but nobody gets back to me. Is this email address not monitored?

Please stop me receiving these notifications for the best free file manager.

Regards,

Paul.

Last edited by Anupam; 16. Jan 2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: obfuscated email address
West Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16. Jan 2014, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,254
Default

West Swan ... when you click on the link that you posted, you will find the section with this heading "Comment follow-up notification settings".

Under it there are two settings. One is the checkbox titled "Receive content follow-up notification e-mails". I think you unchecked it.

Under it, there is a drop down box with different settings, titled "Receive comment follow-up notification e-mails: " .... you need to select "No notifications" under that.

Anyways, I checked your comments in BF File Manager, and found that some comments had the checkbox checked to sent you email notifications in case of new comments. I have unchecked them. So, most probably, you shouldn't get any further notifications.

Just check on the setting that I told above, and set it to No notifications.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16. Jan 2014, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
West Swan ... when you click on the link that you posted, you will find the section with this heading "Comment follow-up notification settings".

Under it there are two settings. One is the checkbox titled "Receive content follow-up notification e-mails". I think you unchecked it.

Under it, there is a drop down box with different settings, titled "Receive comment follow-up notification e-mails: " .... you need to select "No notifications" under that.

Anyways, I checked your comments in BF File Manager, and found that some comments had the checkbox checked to sent you email notifications in case of new comments. I have unchecked them. So, most probably, you shouldn't get any further notifications.

Just check on the setting that I told above, and set it to No notifications.

Much appreciated Anupam :-)

Also I was wondering why you edited the email address in my original post. My partner tells me it is because spammers troll websites trying to find any email addresses they can.

I won't be doing that again :-)

Regards,

Paul
West Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16. Jan 2014, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Swan View Post
Also I was wondering why you edited the email address in my original post. My partner tells me it is because spammers troll websites trying to find any email addresses they can.
Yes, I obfuscated the email because of that reason.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03. Aug 2014, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9
Default

I'm having the same problem as the original person.

Anupam gives these instructions:
=========================
When you click on the link that you posted, you will find the section with this heading "Comment follow-up notification settings".

Under it there are two settings. One is the checkbox titled "Receive content follow-up notification e-mails". I think you unchecked it.

Under it, there is a drop down box with different settings, titled "Receive comment follow-up notification e-mails: " .... you need to select "No notifications" under that.
=========================

I don't see the first setting: the checkbox. All I see is the drop-down list. (See attached screenshot).
I've selected "No notifications" in the drop-down list, but it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.
Further, there is no way to choose which thread to include/exclude.

The text on that page suggests one can opt in/out of individual threads: "Check this box to receive e-mail notification for follow-up comments to comments you posted. You can later disable this on a post-by-post basis... so if you leave this to YES, you can still disable follow-up notifications for comments you don't want follow-up mails anymore - i.e. for very popular posts."
It SAYS I can do this, but offers no hint HOW to do it.

Chrome has been doing strange things lately on my system; but I see the exact same screen in Firefox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Notifications.jpg (17.5 KB, 5 views)
Bruce_Fraser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03. Aug 2014, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Fraser View Post
The text on that page suggests one can opt in/out of individual threads: "Check this box to receive e-mail notification for follow-up comments to comments you posted. You can later disable this on a post-by-post basis... so if you leave this to YES, you can still disable follow-up notifications for comments you don't want follow-up mails anymore - i.e. for very popular posts."
It SAYS I can do this, but offers no hint HOW to do it.
Well, in case you opted to receive notifications for comments, and if you wanted to change it on per post basis... then while posting a comment, you will notice a checkbox below the text area which says "Notify me when new comments are posted". You can uncheck it, and you shouldn't get notification for replies to that comment. So, that's how to do it.

Regarding your problem for now... choosing "No notifications" shouldn't send any notifications to you, but if you are still getting them, then please post for which comment posted in which review you are getting the notifications. So, either you can edit that comment and uncheck that checkbox and save the comment, or we will do it for you. Then you shouldn't receive notifications anymore.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03. Aug 2014, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Anupam,

Yes, I see the option to change the Thread Subscription when I make a new post. I can see it right now as I'm writing.

BUT: what if one simply wants to unsubscribe? It seems silly for people to make a post which says nothing else than, "I had to make a post in order to quit receiving updates on this thread."
Bruce_Fraser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04. Aug 2014, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Fraser View Post
Yes, I see the option to change the Thread Subscription when I make a new post. I can see it right now as I'm writing.

BUT: what if one simply wants to unsubscribe? It seems silly for people to make a post which says nothing else than, "I had to make a post in order to quit receiving updates on this thread."
What you are writing about is thread subscription on the forum, which is a different thing altogether.

What you asked about in your first post was about receiving notifications for comments you posted on the main site in a review, which is a different thing from the forum. Both operate independently.

As per your post count, these are your only posts in the forum, so I guess your query is about receiving notifications about comments posted in reviews, rather than about threads in forum... right?

So, for that please read again what I wrote in my reply, and please follow that . My reply was for the comments in reviews, and not threads in forum.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05. Aug 2014, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Ah, thank-you, Anupam!

I was initially sparked into searching for this on the TechSupportAlert website because of notifications to an article (not a forum thread): http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...der-moment.htm.

However, I slipped sideways into forum notifications, not noticing the difference.

I was still getting notices on the YouTube article the last time someone posted there.
Bruce_Fraser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05. Aug 2014, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 15,254
Default

Good that it cleared up .

I just edited your comment on that page, and noticed that it was checked to receive notifications for all comments posted on that article. I have now edited the comment, and unchecked that checkbox, so you shouldn't be receiving any comments from that article now.
__________________
Anupam
Anupam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.