Gizmos Freeware Reviews  

Go Back   Gizmo's Freeware Forum > Debating Chamber > ChitChat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18. Dec 2010, 07:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bo.elam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
My hero (as you might have guessed ) was John Wayne because he gave the world what it wanted - fantasy.

Mind you, I come from the generation that was able to get its fix at the cinema instead of injecting or snorting it.
I think big John was everybody's hero at some point of our life. He was once
proposed to be candidate for president but he turned it down to support his
good friend, Ronald Reagan.

Bo
bo.elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18. Dec 2010, 06:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
garth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here.
Posts: 1,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.elam View Post
I think you right when you say that Gates should not be turned into a hero
but I don't believe he is a monster either. My hero if I ever had one was
Ronald Reagan. Anyway, I think of you as one of the good guys here, I hope
you don't mind that we disagree on some of this things.

Bo
Bo i entirely agree the Gates is not a monster, he is a very clever individual and of late has begun giving away some of his vast wealth to deserving causes. The only reason i would debate something like this with you bo is because i know you are a reasonable person and also one of the good guys, not to mention being a valuable contributor to this site.
I don't really have a hero that i could name, but i do admire and respect some people. Not all these people are in the public eye and some of them are among the crew and membership of this site, but i would definitely include Stephen Hawking and Stevie Ray Vaughan. If you've not heard of him, Stevie Ray was an extraordinary blues guitarist who tragically was killed in the prime of his life. Check out this utube clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYRz...eature=related

garth
garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2010, 02:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bo.elam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Bo i entirely agree the Gates is not a monster, he is a very clever individual and of late has begun giving away some of his vast wealth to deserving causes. The only reason i would debate something like this with you bo is because i know you are a reasonable person and also one of the good guys, not to mention being a valuable contributor to this site.
I don't really have a hero that i could name, but i do admire and respect some people. Not all these people are in the public eye and some of them are among the crew and membership of this site, but i would definitely include Stephen Hawking and Stevie Ray Vaughan. If you've not heard of him, Stevie Ray was an extraordinary blues guitarist who tragically was killed in the prime of his life. Check out this utube clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYRz...eature=related

garth
I love the blues. Music from the south(USA) is my favorite and blues players
like Muddy Waters and B.B King are among my favorite musicians. When I
read on your post about Stevie Ray, Otis Redding name came to mind and a
few seconds later I saw his name on your video. Look at minute 1:04 of the
video and you ll see his name. He was also killed unfortunately in an accident
and at a very young age. Sad but too many good musicians die tragically.
When I was 20 years old I lived in Macon, Georgia where many of this great
musicians where from or had their career started. One of them was Duane
Allman, who died on a motorcycle accident in 1971 in Macon. His slide guitar
is unmatched till this day. He played with your countryman Erick Clapton
in the original recording of Layla. I am sure you heard that song, Duane plays
the slide guitar which was his trademark. Your post remind me of my time
in Macon and I remember going to the Otis Redding bridge with my friends
to remember Otis or to Duanes grave in Macon. Berry Oakley, another fine
musician who played with the Allman brothers is buried next to him. He had
died tragically a few months after Duane in another accident and only three
blocks away from where Duane died. I searched Youtube trying to find a good
video of Layla played by Duane but they pretty much are nonexistent since
he died in 1971, most of what I found were videos with Gregg Allman or Erick
Clapton but I found one of my favorites song by Duane, its called Little Martha
and it brings me old memories that will never fade away. Going to Duanes
grave was done by a lot of people then and I guess people are still doing it
now. There is a poster saying that hes been there like I did. At minute 1:29
that's where he died. Been there also and was remembering that sign when
doing my search. I met a couple of the people you see at .49 second at the
very famous railroad tracks in Macon. The old southern building that you see
at .59 second became a very nice restaurant in the 70s, where we use to
take our dates for a nice dinner before going to a bar or doing something.
At .08 second you ll see who Little Martha was and this is her song.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1PiH...eature=related

Bo

Hey garth, don't get me going again OK, you see what you done. This one
is only for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofzl...eature=related
bo.elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2010, 03:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
danjmilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Steeler Nation Capitol
Posts: 127
Default

My hero in the creation of the INTERNET is AL GORE? Let's not forget his contribution! Can anyone tell me what it was?

Dan
danjmilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2010, 05:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bo.elam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjmilos View Post
My hero in the creation of the INTERNET is AL GORE? Let's not forget his contribution! Can anyone tell me what it was?

Dan
Al Gore would be perfect to occupy one of the spots in my modern day top
40 anti-hero list.
Dan, Whats his contribution? if any.

Bo
bo.elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2010, 08:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.elam View Post
Dan, Whats his contribution? if any.
And let's not forget Bill Clinton whose "contribution" was to at least make watching political news interesting
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2010, 09:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bo.elam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCowboy View Post
And let's not forget Bill Clinton whose "contribution" was to at least make watching political news interesting
Berlusconi is the new star. MC, was he also involved in the early development
of the Web, like Al Gore?

Bo
bo.elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2010, 09:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Site Manager
 
MidnightCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South American Banana Republic, third bunch from the left
Posts: 15,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.elam View Post
Berlusconi is the new star. MC, was he also involved in the early development
of the Web, like Al Gore?

Bo
I think at least Bill Clinton tried to be a bit more subtle. Berlusconi not only puts it in your face but wants you to respect him for doing so.

My father in law is Italian although he left Italy for here many years ago. He doesn't have many kind words to say about our friend
__________________
Buy a Hoover and prove technology sucks.
MidnightCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2010, 12:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
garth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here.
Posts: 1,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.elam View Post

Hey garth, don't get me going again OK, you see what you done. This one
is only for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofzl...eature=related
The perfect way to start the day. Thanks bo
It's always a little bitter sweet when i see these guys playing because i'll never get to see it in person. I've been playing guitars of one type or another since the mid 1980's but my personal blues odyssey began later in life, because for most of my life since around 8 years old my first love has always been British punk music. Seeing The Sex Pistols through my child's eyes was one of the defining moments of my life. For sure i have no illusions now about what the Pistols were, but they were the start of my journey. When i was young i did have idols and among them were a band called the UK Subs, and it was pretty sweet when i got to tour with them in my twenties when i was playing in a band. It was kind of dumb luck that i found Stevie Ray, and he opened the door to the blues for me. From the moment i heard SRV i have been journeying back through the blues, which obviously i had always been aware of as a guitar player, but i never listened to it because i didn't really get where it was coming from. I have always liked a number of other guitar players though and Mark Knophler, Chet Atkins and a guy from Megadeth called Marty Freidman are among my favourites. Marty's playing is a little cold but his technique is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvHeO...eature=related

and a couple of Brit 1970's punk clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYVDqL_8HbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m2Jy...eature=related

What did Al Gore do btw?

I just came across this by accident a couple of weeks ago and i already posted it once somewhere, but i'll post it once more because that's how good it is. Nice to listen to on a wet cold Sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IQYp...eature=related

Last edited by garth; 19. Dec 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added clip.
garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19. Dec 2010, 04:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
danjmilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Steeler Nation Capitol
Posts: 127
Default

Other than saying he helped create the INTERNET when he was a senator from Tennessee not a thing.

Dan
danjmilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.