View Single Post
Old 28. Aug 2013, 04:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Remah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Remah,

I don't understand how any of the programs you referenced would have helped me. I already used both Comodo Programs Manager as well as IObit Uninstaller, but their features/functions weren't up to the task because what I was trying to uninstall all traces of is a USB-attached scanner, a piece of hardware not a program. As a matter of record, I did use IObit Uninstaller to uninstall the GUI and OCR program that came with the scanner, but it did not remove all traces of it from the registry, as shown by the repeated detection of it by the Windows 7 in-place reinstall function.

At this point, after my hard drive failure, I'm less sanguine to plunge ahead again, using the boot disc method to purge the registry of scanner traces and do an in-place reinstall of Windows. My urgent need for Windows Media Center has subsided, and Windows is running extremely well.

I apologize for not completing the task at hand right now. If and when I reconsider I'll reopen this thread. Thank you for your help.

Frank
Frank, no problems.

I don't have much free time so I could only do a cursory job trying to help you to resolve it. It doesn't really fall under the focus of this site but it was interesting to see how Windows features are installed now.

To clarify, the USB scanner is hardware but once it is no longer physically attached to your computer then all that remains is software and configuration data. That's why uninstallers can monitor changes.