View Single Post
Old 26. Aug 2013, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
sicknero

I've used 3D Analyze successfully with some games, but I've found it to be a bit hit or miss. I've especially found it to fail with pixel shader requirements, but to be fair that might just be because I've not had it set up properly - I never found it to be an especially simple program to use.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'safe' though ... as far as I know it makes no permanent system changes, it just creates a file (or files, I forget now) in the game folder and attempts to use software emulation to run games which your hardware doesn't support.

As such I don't see any risk in trying it out but, don't take my word for it... I only know that I've tried it myself (the last one I think was "Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper") which won't run on my laptop because the GPU doesn't support pixel shading. I tried 3D Analyze and all that happened was that I got the same error message when I tried to run the game.

I suppose there might be some element of over-taxing your system, so you could run something like Piriform Speccy to keep an eye on temperatures and CPU load etc. You might also consider creating a back up image of your system drive before trying it out.

I can't categorically say that there's no risk though as I'm no expert in this, and I've never found an alternative (freeware) solution either, so I'd be interested to see what views other people might have.

Last edited by sicknero; 26. Aug 2013 at 06:42 PM.
sicknero is offline   Reply With Quote