View Single Post
Old 09. Aug 2013, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Frank D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remah View Post
I'd like you to clarify if you have really been "uninstalling" and "reinstalling" Windows Media Centre. I thought that Windows Media Centre remains on your system in Windows 7 and is not uninstalled. So if you had to reinstall from a Windows image (such as a DVD or .ISO file) then you are probably right that it is an install. Please clarify that as if I am right then judicious registry editing may be all that is needed to turn it back on. The difficulty then becomes what to edit.
Remah,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been uninstalling and installing (can't actually do the latter) Windows Media Center (not Windows Media Player, which has since been reinstalled successfully) using the Start > Windows Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off > Media Features > Windows Media Center application that is part of the Windows 7 operating system.

Quote:
I can think of two other specific reasons why WMC won't reenable:
  • A licensing issue. So what edition and exact version of Windows 7 are you using?
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It is a legal copy. It came with the freshly purchased (now two years old) HP Pavilion computer I'm using.
    Quote:
  • Windows can't access some files because folder/file ownership has been changed. This is unlikely as I expect you'd remember doing this and would have mentioned it?
You are correct that I have not done anything to folder/file ownership. I am not that adept.
Quote:
The next best option appears to be eliminating the artefacts remaining from the scanner so you can reinstall Windows in place. Again, it probably means editing the registry. There are forum and blog posts with information on how to clean up driver files and configurations.
I have gone in and used Regedit to find all references and occurrences of the scanner -- at least three times -- and when I re-check, they are still there.
Quote:
A third option is to backup everything then do a clean install so you can use registry utilities and the like to see what enabling Windows Media Centre does to your system configuration. Then you restore your system from the backup and check that the relevant configuration settings are all set correctly.
I have limited understanding of what you are recommending, but I question what effect would doing a clean Windows install and then restoring from a full system image backup have? The latter would wipe out anything to do with the former -- or am I missing something?
Quote:
As to your final question: I suppose that Windows Media Centre (plus DVD Maker and Windows Media Player) became features when it was decided that they were core products. It might also be related to the APIs and extensibility WMC adds to Windows.
I thank you for your looking into this and your insights, but I don't see that I can accomplish anything new, that I haven't already tried and failed at. At this point I'm just willing to live without Windows Media Center. Thank you.

Frank
Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote