View Single Post
Old 09. Aug 2013, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Remah

To solve this you will almost certainly have to be competent at Registry editing because you will probably have to do two things:
  • work out how to reinstall Windows Media Player files manually.
  • work out how to repair configurations settings which are primarily in the Registry.

I had a look but I couldn't find any promising solutions on the web and I don't have time to determine how Windows Media Centre needs to be configured.

I'd like you to clarify if you have really been "uninstalling" and "reinstalling" Windows Media Centre. I thought that Windows Media Centre remains on your system in Windows 7 and is not uninstalled. So if you had to reinstall from a Windows image (such as a DVD or .ISO file) then you are probably right that it is an install. Please clarify that as if I am right then judicious registry editing may be all that is needed to turn it back on. The difficulty then becomes what to edit.

I can think of two other specific reasons why WMC won't reenable:
  • A licensing issue. So what edition and exact version of Windows 7 are you using?
  • Windows can't access some files because folder/file ownership has been changed. This is unlikely as I expect you'd remember doing this and would have mentioned it?

The next best option appears to be eliminating the artefacts remaining from the scanner so you can reinstall Windows in place. Again, it probably means editing the registry. There are forum and blog posts with information on how to clean up driver files and configurations.

A third option is to backup everything then do a clean install so you can use registry utilities and the like to see what enabling Windows Media Centre does to your system configuration. Then you restore your system from the backup and check that the relevant configuration settings are all set correctly.

As to your final question: I suppose that Windows Media Centre (plus DVD Maker and Windows Media Player) became features when it was decided that they were core products. It might also be related to the APIs and extensibility WMC adds to Windows.