View Single Post
Old 27. Jul 2013, 08:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Anupam
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe A.TT View Post
However, CCleaner doesn't have a similar option to delete JDK or any other add-on in FF. Strange .
Yes, that's how it works . Options to delete add-on in FF is not there. You will have to remove from Firefox itself.

Quote:
I also downloaded HJT and ran a scan but the JDK Firefox add-on doesn't show up. Again, I'm puzzled.
HJT works in a different way than CCleaner. So, the add-ons from Firefox, or the plugins won't show in the list there. That's alright too.

Quote:
I'm wary of deleting the Java dll file in the SysWOW64 folder since it's a Windows folder. Even if I do delete it, FF may still show it has a JDK add-on even though the dll has been deleted. Do you think I should chance deleting it? I don't know what else to do about this add-on.
There's a way to do this too. You can just cut that file from that folder and store it somewhere else. Don't delete it. Then, you observe whether the add-on disappeared from Firefox or not. It should have been gone. Then, you can further keep it in the other place for a few days, and see if without that file in the folder there, the system behaves normally or not. If system seems fine, you can delete the file altogether.

I have doubts whether reinstalling Firefox would solve this situation or not. Because, Firefox picks up the plugins from their folders, and shows them. So, if the file is still there even after Firefox is uninstalled, and reinstalled, then it might again pick up that file from there, and show as a plugin.

So, I think the better way is to delete the file from that location. That's the solution anyways.