View Single Post
Old 19. Jun 2009, 01:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
rikmayell

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtboy View Post
If your not at least somewhat familiar with how an OS works in general,
then you shouldn't be messing around with installing a new one.
If you play with fire, you might get burned.
So we decide now who uses what software?

As stated, I have been asked to write an article aimed at beginners. Any distro recommended would hopefully minimise the risk of hardware not being identified. I concur though, that this is an issue, perhaps this is where you, in the forums, could help out.

I am not coming to Linux from a Windows point of view. Yes I have over 20 years of PC experience but I've also done system support/systems programming under MVS, VME, Ultrix, VMS, Unix, OS/2, Linux, ergo, I have no axe to grind. An operating system is just a piece of technology. Learn one, you can learn another. From the user's perspective it is ease of installation and use that makes the difference.

Finally, if I had an axe to grind I wouldn't have switched my laptop from Vista Ultimate to Ubuntu, I'd have moved it to Windows 7. The laptop 'lives' in our front room, so anyone who wants to use a PC while there are here uses that. I've had nothing but positive feedback from people who have used it. 'Fast', 'easy to use', etc, etc.

And finally, finally (), if you would like to contribute to how the testing is done, or the article itself, you are more than welcome to do so. Now, I can't say fairer than that, can I?