Thread: Zorin OS 6 Lite
View Single Post
Old 14. Apr 2012, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
wdhpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC
In the past I've had the odd issue when using the advanced partitioning options to replace one linux with another in a dual boot, unless of course the installer is like Kororra which does this for you. MC's system therefore is to use EasyBCD to remove Grub from the MBR, delete the former Linux partitions, expand W7 to swallow this space and then shrink it back again to make room for the new installation. I've then found that using the default option "install alongside Windows 7" works fine every time.
Hmmm... I wonder if this has something to do with the way Win7 handles dual booting as I've heard it doesn't play nice with dual boot set-ups. Since I'm still using the old but steady WinXP, I always opt for the advanced method. What I have found depending on the distro, is that the install routine will identify my partitions differently such as sda2 is now sda3 and sda4 is now my swap disk
I have no explanation why this happens but I get around it by choosing the partitions by its known size. This is further complicated because I have two internal drives which has two partitions each. I have one HDD with my default WinXP and my default Linux OS which is Mint. My second HDD has a pristine copy WinXP and a partition for my Linux flavour of the month. The biggest problem so far has been the occasional corruption of my MBR, that is easily fixed using SuperGrub or the newer version called Rescatux (very handy and fixes Windows MBRs too)
The other problem I have encountered is the new boot menu will get the location wrong for my other OS's normally this can be fixed by using these terminal commands:
sudo -i
grub-mkconfig
grub-install /dev/sda (replace with actual drive and partition)
update-grub
exit
This will create a boot menu with all Linux and Win OS's on all drives but only installs the grub menu on the drive you selected.
To make changes to the Grub2 menu such as the boot order you will need to do so with extreme caution as Grub2 no longer uses a menu list. It just so happens our old friend Dedoimedo has created an in-depth tutorial GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial

These days I don't panic any more with corrupted grub menus or MBRs now that I have allot of experience fixing them
Although rarely, one of the major things that can go wrong is wiping out one of the other operating systems
That is where my very very handy 2TB external HDD saves the day. Backups are a good thing indeed!

Got a little long winded on this one
Cheers

Last edited by wdhpr; 14. Apr 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Just my typical typing errors that I don't spot till later
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote