View Single Post
Old 26. Jan 2012, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Concerned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarkw View Post
Yes, I've seen SuRun mentioned elsewhere on your site, and it sounds great. I read through the on-ReadMe file last night, however, and noticed a statement that gave me pause:

"SuRun... appends "Start as Administrator..." ...to the system menu of **every application that does not run as administrator** [emphasis mine]."

Does this imply, as it appears, that some software can be initially installed to run as administrator, independently of the privileges of the users that is logged on? If so, then (going back to my original issue with ZoneAlarm Extreme Security) why didn't ZoneAlarm just set up its software to always run as administrator, even when a Limited User is logged on?
Well, in Windows XP, you would have to log off your standard account and log in to your admin account to do admin tasks (install/uninstall programs, etc.). This is a bit of a pain.

With surun, that will be cut down a bit, for example, you try to install a program and it gives a popup saying "you require admin privileges to install this program", you can simply right click on it and choose "run as administrator" with surun. Yes, even if you're a standard user, surun can make you admin temporarily.

Not just that, it has a whole lot of other useful options. You can right click on the desktop and open the control panel as admin. You can also configure which user actually has access to surun . It gives you a "UAC" like functionality in XP.

I prepared a tutorial for surun some time back (it's a bit long!).

You could read through the entire tutorial and if interested, you could install the program.

Here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ty-your-pc.htm

Regarding EMET, since you're on XP, it can only offer you DEP protection. However, you can give it a try since it enables DEP for programs which you select.

This is a very non-intrusive program from Microsoft. Does not interfere or bloat your system. Trying it right now in Windows 7 and it's okay.

However, as has already been mentioned, you should check whether your hardware supports DEP.

Last edited by Concerned User; 26. Jan 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Concerned User is offline   Reply With Quote