View Single Post
Old 22. Jan 2011, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
moho

Alright, I figured it out. There seem to be 2 good options. I'll post the one I used first, and post the other option in the next few days when I get some more time.

Both options involve first scanning your signature into an editing program such as Gimp. The easiest way I've found to do this is like so:

1. Use a pen (preferably black) to write your signature on a white piece of paper. If you need lines to guide you, put a lined piece of paper underneath the one you are actually signing.

2. Scan this into your image program. I got the best results scanning it in in color rather than grayscale or black and white. I used a resolution of 300 dpi.

3. Crop the image as close to the signature as possible.

4. Adjust the transparency of the white portion of the image by using a Color > Alpha type function. In Gimp this feature is found by going to Layer > Transparency > Color to Alpha. Chances are that it will be selecting the white by default, so all you have to do at that point is hit "Apply". To be sure of your results before you hit apply, make sure the "Preview" box is checked.

5. Save the image in png format. Be sure to select the appropriate options in the dialog that pops up. Especially the Save Background Color.

Ok, from here you have 2 options.

OPTION #1 -- Use PDF X-Change Viewer
This method essentially allows you to create a "custom" stamp, since the Signature feature is disabled in the free version of this program.

1. Open the pdf you need to sign.

2. Go to Tools > Comment and Mark Up Tools > Show Stamps Palette.

3. The Stamps Palette Dialog will then pop up. Now select "Create From Image".

4. Browse to the location on your computer that your image is saved to. Click "Open".

5. The image should now be in the Stamps Palette Dialog. Make sure it is highlighted in a light orange color, verifying that it is selected.

6. Close the dialog.

7. All you have to do at this point is use the "Stamp Tool" to place the signature where you want. If you have the appropriate toolbar visible, then you'll be able to find it there. You can also reposition, resize, or delete the stamp once you have placed it.

8. You may now lock the stamp in place by right clicking on it and going to Properties > Advanced > Locked.

9. Next thing you might want to do is lock down the document a bit to make it more secure. Head to File > Document Properties > Security.

10. Use the dropdown to select "Password Security", then hit "Change Settings". Here you can set the program compatibility, encryption of document/metadata/both, type of printing allowed, types of document changes allowed, enabling/disabling copying of content, text access for screen readers, and set up a password for permissions changes.

Select the features you want to implement, hit "OK", and exit out of the dialog. If you have implemented password requirement to change the document, you will see that many features on the toolbars are now grayed out. The file name will also show "(SECURED)" after it.

Pretty cool, eh?

Last edited by moho; 22. Jan 2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: edited for clarity...again
moho is offline   Reply With Quote