View Single Post
Old 02. Oct 2010, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ritho

Quote:
Just to clarify something though, when you have made a certain program portable then a update is released would you have to install the program so either Cameyo or SVS could watch it install and make the new update program portable?
SVS made it simple because there was a layer update mode. I should mention each SVS virtualized program actually has two layers, one is writable and the other is normally read only. The program installs and updates are captured in the read only layer. All changes afterwards are caught in the second writable layer. This makes it possible to reset the program itself to a freshly installed state. I appreciated this ability with one program especially that I always had trouble with the tool bars getting scrambled. It would normally take me 15 min to get them just the way I wanted, but if you accidentally clicked and drug the mouse wrong a bug caused all those changes to go away. So after I started using SVS I would install that program and set the read-only layer to update make the changes to the tool bar, then lock the layer. After that if my tool bars went buggy I reset the layer and 30 seconds later I was right back to work.

Another cool thing about SVS is that you can choose to have all files that a program creates captured in either its own writable layer, in another totally separate layer, or on the base system. SVS can run filters on any file extension to put those files where you want. You can set global excludes for any file type or hard drive location. It is quite powerful.

I only reason I stopped using SVS was because I moved to Linux as my main work platform, and while I do dual boot I don't have the demands on my Windows system like I used to.