View Single Post
Old 15. Sep 2010, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
mikecorbeil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Dolphins View Post
Ok, I re-read all your posts, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm a bit confused now. In your 1st post you said you were unable to do a second install of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, but later on you mention placing a copy of the missing files in Emsisoft Anti-Malware's folder. Were did you get the copies from?
I mistakenly said that about EAM. It was ADD.

Quote:
You also mentioned trying to do a second and seperate installation. What I proposed is to fully install it over the existing installation, i.e. in the same folder. This might "repair" the existing installation, putting any missing files back to where they should be & in a working manner and fixing any registry errors related to the application.
True, but tried it and it didn't work, so after reading the aforementioned user posts at Emsisoft.com, I tried to do a second install to a different path to do as the reader post said, which is to copy the uninstall .msg file from the second install to the original install. That person was able to make a second and separate install of EAM, but I wasn't. However, it worked with ADD.

A second install of EAM was totally refused when I tried to do this.

It didn't fully work with ADD, but it partially worked. The second install to a different location worked, but the unins000.msg file from the second install could not be directly copied to the original ADD install folder. That caused me to think of trying to make the copy by first renaming the .msg file, copying the renamed copy to the original ADD install directory, and if that worked, then trying to rename the .msg file to the original filename. And that worked; oddly enough.

I don't know what program blocked the copying of the unins000.msg file from the second install folder to the original install folder for ADD without first renaming the file, so it's not clear that the fact that being able to copy a renamed copy of the file to the original install folder is an oversight in the ADD application or a Windows system program. But it seems like weird behavior; potentially a little neglect in programming or program design.

Quote:
I wouldn't touch anything in the registry, before managing to successfully uninstall the programs, as that might lead to even more problems and errors.
I'll keep that in mind, but am curious as to what kind of problems could occur, if [all] changes made in the registry for ADD and EAM were removed from the registry. EAM might be in a special case category because of it being a security application, but ADD is only a disk defragger.

We should be able to do that and then delete the installation directories; although this might leave some of files installed when and if any were installed in other directories, such as in Windows system directories, f.e.

Similarly, if we delete the installation directories of apps without first removing their changes in the Windows registry, a decent or good registry cleaner should be able to detect the no longer valid registry entries or changes and then permit the user to choose the removal of these changes. But this is evidently asking for too much in the Windows world.

Linux is surely better to work with in this kind of regard; I think or guess.

Quote:
About the other uninstallers you mention. Total Uninstall will only work if you run it in order to install those programs in the first place. From what I read in your posts you didn't, so don't even bother with it. I haven't used any of the other you mention, so I don't know the kind of job they do.
You could try the trial of Revo Uninstaller which comes with the "Force Uninstall" feature. Ashampoo (also paid, but you can get a trial) Uninstaller has a similar feature which might work.
I downloaded and tried Total Uninstall (TU), Safarp, and Absolute Uninstaller today and none of them fit my need. TU doesn't for the reason you stated, and the other two require that the installed application's uninstaller works, which means that the uninstaller .msg file for EAM was required, but it was missing. So none of these uninstallers will remain installed. They're of no help to me, and for an uninstaller that works like TU, but with more features, I've been using Zsoft Uninstaller for a couple of years or more and will stick with it.

I rarely use its analysis mode anyway; only using it when having troubles with an installed application, or when one is installed, but doesn't uninstall cleanly and I have some time to waste. In that case I can do a reinstall of an application using ZSoft's analytical mode in order to try to determine where left-over files, if there are any, are placed by the installer. It's rare that I'll do this, but ZSoft works like Add/Remove Programs and comes up much more quickly. The list of installed applications loads in a snap in Zsoft, while taking a comparatively long time with Microsoft's tool.

Revo: forced uninstall?

I saw and tried the Hunter mode in the free version, but didn't see anything for forced uninstalls. But I used the portable version of Revo. Is the "Force Uninstall" present in the installed version and not in the portable version?

Or maybe you're talking about the Hunter mode.

Revo is an uninstaller that I had never tried before today and this one will be installed. I like the interface even if the free version has limitations compared to the non-free version.

Quote:
If everything fails, booting into Safe Mode may be your best shot.
You could try running AppRemover in Safe Mode - I managed to uninstall a messed & stubborn KIS this way, with no side effects.
I don't know what KIS means and I succeeded with Windows safe mode while logged in as real Admin. See my post prior to this one.

Quote:
About the prefetch folder. You could try the "Old Prefetch Data" in CCleaner (Advanced choices), this deals with prefetch files of uninstalled programs.
I did a little searching about this topic yesterday and it's evidently not worth bothering with the prefetch folder. All of the .pf files are very small. The folder apparently never gets larger than around 5 MB. But what the articles said was that old, no longer used prefetch files can certainly and safely be removed. Otoh, I think one of the two articles said that Windows automatically gets rid of the old prefetch files after some number of days; 30, maybe.

Quote:
In your last post you mention only Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Did you manage to uninstall Auslogics Disk Defrag?
See my post prior to this one. The title for the post is "Finally succeeded" or close to that.
mikecorbeil is offline   Reply With Quote