View Single Post
Old 22. Aug 2010, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
GiantWaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
I checked out KeePass. You are right... it does not gives you the option to show the password in plain text permanently. But, I think that is a good security feature. And why would u want to know the password all the time anyway.
Okay, I don't want you to take this the wrong way, okay? I am rally not trying to be rude here. But I didn't ask you to question me as to why I want them visible and to tell me that I should go through those extra steps, because *you* think it's good that way.

You see, I don't care about the security of that database. I don't even care if the program is designed for that purpose. I would use an MS Access database, if it had the fields that I wanted!

Right now, I use a text file. How secure is that?

All I want to do, is store my information into a database, that allows me to instantly call up user names and passwords, URL's, etc., for what I am trying to log in to, whether it be a web site, or a piece of software, or my online banking, or whatever. And I don't want to work to get it done! I don't need to make logging in twice the headache that it already is, which is twice the headache already (should I have to look one up). Do you understand what I'm saying here?

I just want a simple to use database in which I can store the information that I'm talking about and that I would have a really easy time with, should I, for example, have to wipe my system, start from scratch and call up each password to get things set up. That's it. I am *not* trying to add more security.

Quote:
I too have a long list of usernames and passwords for different sites, IMs etc, and its quite difficult to remember all the passwords. I too wanted a software for just storing the passwords securely, without the need to autofill the web forms.
Okay, now here is where we part company on what we're looking for. While as I said, I don't care about the auto-filling, please reread your sentence, but take the word "securely" out of it.

I simply do not care about string them *securely*. I just want to store them and make them as easy as possible to call up again. As easy as say, looking at the Windows clipboard. Is the text there "secure"? Of course not.

Again, please don't think me rude. I only mean to be direct and I truly am appreciative of your taking the time out to check this out for me. I really am.

All I'm saying is, that I know what I want and please don't rethink it for me as if I don't. I intentionally don't care about security with this particular type of software. I just want easy of calling it up. I secure my entire system in other ways and believe me, if they get through me, then they'd have my passwords anyway. But as it stands right now, even a keylogger could not log even what I'm typing right now! So although no security is unbreakable, I am secure, my friend.

Quote:
So, I had checked out a lot of free password managers. Many of them were outdated, and not developed anymore.
Which is fine with me! I don't care if it's ever updated again! As long as it does what I want it to do right now and can do it under Win7 x64, whether it was written with Win7 in mind or not. As long as it works.

I understand where you're coming from. Most people want to have the latest version and the latest features, etc.. But me? I keep a whole ton of software archived and when I find a version that works as advertised and does what it says it will do, under various OS's, then I don't go out looking for updates for it. In fact, I always turn off the "Check for Updates" feature in software. Why take the chance that maybe the next version won't work, when I have something that's doing exactly what I want it to right now?

Quote:
I was also looking for software which would let me store some extra information like comments about the entry.
Comments I don't care about, although I can see why some people would want them. For me, the comments field is only handy if they haven't put enough of the necessary fields in. Then I can use the comments field as if it were the field I need.

Quote:
So, I had narrowed my choices down to 3-4 choices. Sisma and Era were the two.
I couldn't even get those two to operate properly for me. One of them just didn't want to run right and the other just didn't have what I needed, although I did like how simple it *looked* like it would be. But it did *not* work.

Anyway, thanks so much and if you come up with something, please let me know, okay?
GiantWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote