View Single Post
Old 22. Aug 2010, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
GiantWaffle

Default Password keepers

Please forgive the length of this post. I am pasting in a discussion from the freeware software site.

What I have found, is that the subject of "password keepers" gets mixed up with "web form fillers" and the "web form fillers" tend to take over the discussion.

But I need the opposite to be true! I need a localized username/password database, that is stored locally on my system and I don't really care if it does web form filling. My web site logins are automated with Firefox anyway. But I do want to store them locally, in case I need to redo my system or something and have to start from scratch with logging into various web sites. And I need to store the user names and passwords for software that I only run locally on my system.

And I also need it to handle other user name/password entries, such as for my router/NAS and other devices and so forth that I do not save the passwords for in my browser.

So my goal is a locally saved password database and web form filling is an afterthought for me.

In other words, I don't need it to integrate with any browser, for any reason at all. For me, this is just to be a local database.

I currently have "Flyingbit Password Keeper", which is also free and can be found at: http://www.pwkeeper.com/ and runs at startup and can be called up with a hotkey combination, etc..

It does web form filling, but focuses on saving passwords the way that I am talking about. And the buttons and stuff are really simply laid out and it divides passwords into categories, such as "Network", "Web Sites", etc., which is really nice! Also, it allows you to select from different types for each "entry" (Login, URL, Password, Card Number, Serial, etc.).

The problem is, that when I go to set up a new entry, it doesn't give me the entry boxes that would seem to make sense to me, such as "User Name" and "Password" and instead calls them, "Field Data", and "Comment", etc..

Rather, you have to create an separate entry card for each thing (User Name, Password, URL, etc.). But it does work and the great thing to me, is that it does not force me to hide a password with asterisks, which I don't want to do. I want a quick call up, without having to "unhide" a password every time I look one up.

It was suggested to me to try the following three programs:

KeePass

Era Password Manager : http://www.dheone.com/

Sisma Password Manager : http://www.digitalconfidence.com/Sis...d-Manager.html

I did not like Era, nor Sisma.

KeePass is nice, in that it lets you put everything into one entry and it seems to have enough space for almost everything. However, what it does not do (that Flyingbit does do), is allow me to keep the passwords visible. In other words, it keeps reverting them back to asterisks and you have to go into the entry and then click the button to reveal the password, creating a few steps to finally get to the password. This is too much work!

I am currently using a text file that has all of my information and I open it and then just use the standard search to find what I'm looking for and I am just trying to keep this as simple as I can.

I am trying to get a database together, because a long text file can get confusing, as some entries are repeated and because it's hard to know what you have where and you end up with double entries, etc..

So I definitely do need a simple password manager, but AS ALWAYS, one program will have one NECESSARY thing and another will have the other NECESSARY thing.

I need the simplicity of KeePass, while also being able to see the passwords as soon as the entry is listed on my screen. I do not want to have to even go into an entry in the first place, let alone have to go into it and then perform another step to reveal the password.

KeePass would offer me this, since it lays the info out across the screen, if it didn't hide the passwords on me using asterisks that I can't disable!

As I said, one program will offer....

Any ideas? I looked all through the options of KeePass and I cannot find an option that will let me do this. The asterisks cannot be disabled.

Or, maybe I am wrong about having to make separate entry cards for each thing within one places information? I hope so, because it does let me see the password without even opening the entry up!

I am running Windows 7 x64, in case that helps.

Thanks!
GiantWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote