View Single Post
Old 26. Apr 2010, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Anupam
Super Moderator

Yep J.L., I have a 8 GB hard disk with XP SP2 on it. 8 GB is a really small hard drive to have, specially in present times. But, this hard disk has been with me since my first computer in 2000. And I turn to it in case of emergency. Till date, 3 of my other hard disks have gone bad... but this one still goes on.

That's what I really do not like with the branded computers like Acer, HP, Compaq etc. They come pre-installed with so many junk which we really do not need, specially us freeware users. I would first go uninstalling the extra components and software, which are not needed.

Also, you have already taken the steps to remove unnecessary Windows components. For that, you can use Revo Uninstaller. In the Options, under Uninstaller... you can tick the check box for "Show system components", and it will show Windows components not normally seen from Add/Remove.

I keep Windows updates off when I use 8 GB hard disk. The updates take up a lot of space, and also keep their hot fixes setups stored on the disk, which take up space too. I also turn off the System Restore, since restore points are also space consumers. If you do not want to keep that off, then you can make use off CCleaner to remove individual restore points on daily basis.

Next, I install only the necessary programs on my PC. I install an AV, and if required, a firewall. I do not install both MBAM, and SAS. I just install MBAM, and keep it updated.

Instead of heavy media player like VLC, or KM Player, I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema. For my needs, it works well, and can play music too. For smaller music players, I go for 1by1, Xion, or XMPlay. These are very light, if you only want to play MP3.

For pdf reader, I use Sumatra Pdf Reader. Its very small, but works really well if you do not have to open really complex pdfs.

On smaller hard disks, you might want to keep track of where the space is being used. So, for that you can make use of software like TreeSize, or WinDirStat, which show you where space is being used.

I would not bother much with the drivers, since I would not be sure, if any of them might be required for proper functioning of the system. I don't mess around in that area. Still, you can check and remove only the unnecessary ones. To be on the safe side, you can make use of a drive backup utility(I think DoubleDriver does that).

I hope all this is useful. If I remember more, I will share here.