Thread: VideoCacheView
View Single Post
Old 07. Apr 2010, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
J_L
Co-Author, Best Free Security List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
J.L., the topic can be in the Software Suggestions Forum too, but on a wider perspective, its alright for it to be here .

I have used VideoCacheView in the past and yes, it works well. But, recently, it does not seem to work for me, I don't know why. One time, it just hanged, and the other time, it did not show any videos.

Also, I think you have to keep the webpage with the video open, otherwise the cached video gets deleted, if you close the webpage.

kendall, I too am not clear about this, whether videos from video sites can be downloaded or not. But, if you see over the internet, there are many many such software available... some even free and open source... to download videos from YouTube, or such sites. So, if such software are available, that means it should be OK? Really, am not sure.
I see.

VideoCacheView hanged for me before as well, but stopped after I upgraded LastPass to 1.66.0. Version 1.64.4 is known to cause this problem, I have contacted the LastPass team about this before.

For Youtube, the video gets stored in your browser's cache, so therefore VideoCacheView can grab it as long as it's still there.
For most (if not all) other video sites, Adobe Flash stores a locked fla???.tmp file in your temporary folder, VideoCacheView can copy it. More info about this on my second link (once again: http://www.nirsoft.net/articles/copy...temp_file.html)

The legal issues are something I'm not going to comment on further.
J_L is offline   Reply With Quote