View Single Post
Old 25. Mar 2010, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
freedog96150

I actually use client and Guest OS to mean two different things. In some cases, they CAN be one and the same, but I generally try to keep myself out of those types of situations.

GUEST OS - An operating system loaded as a "guest" onto a virtual server or Host server. In your case, you have Hyper-V loaded into VMWare Player, so VMPlayer is the virtual host while Hyper-V is the Guest OS.

CLIENT - Usually a physical computer that has all of your network management tools installed. I loosely use client to imply any computer connected to the network that accesses network resources. One of those clients is normally my desktop and hence, my control center.

Sorry for the confusion on terminology. Guess my brain clicked off.

I am curious about how you plan to use Hyper-V in your case. Sounds like you have your Host OS in which you are running VMWare Player and then have Hyper-V as a guest on top of that. That is a unique way of setting up Hyper-V in that is is normally used more like you are using VMWare Player now, but on steroids.

I stand corrected on the GUI tool availability. They are for Vista and up. XP will not run the tools.

Here is the info from MS site:
Hyper-V Server Remote Management with Microsoft® Windows Vista SP1

To enable the Microsoft® Windows Vista SP1 Hyper-V Manager MMC,
1. Download and install the Hyper-V MMC for Vista SP1. Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/Hyper-VServer for more information.
2. After the reboot, go to Administrative Tools in the Start Menu and click on the Hyper-V Manager.
3. On the left side of the MMC window, click on Hyper-V Manager.
From the Actions menu, click Connect to Server, select Another Computer and enter the name or IP address of the server you want to connect to.
freedog96150 is offline   Reply With Quote