View Single Post
Old 24. Mar 2010, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
wdhpr

Yea I was aware it was dated.
Most of the articles on the subject I found were rather old.
I was aware that one of the biggest differances where with the package managers. I found this comment from the site Superusers
Quote:
here are two major flavors of linux distro's out there. Debian and Red Hat based distributions account for a large percentage of the distributions out there.

The major difference between them is the package management. If they are debian based the most likely use the dpkg& apt/deb system, if its a Red Hat system it most likely uses yum/rpm. A lot of distros pop up because someone was unsatisifed with the package management so most will have some form of graphical interface that is different, but the underlying system is the same.

If you learn how to use apt-get and yum, you'll cover 80% of the distro's out there, and 99% of the systems you'll most likely encounter.

Each distro will do something a little different with the window manager. Most major distro's choose between KDE and Gnome, with Gnome seeming to be the popular one at the moment. The great thing about linux though, is that you can change the window manager if you like (go windowmaker!).

If you learn the command line there is not "much" of a difference, but the GUI changes between distro's will definitely sway you're choice. Also, some distro's ship with divers that will make it easy for certain hardware like video cards.
For more detailed information of the two package managers can be found at Ubuntu Documentation

From my brief experience with Mandriva Linux I was not able to see much difference (because I was a newbie). Mepis turned out to work better with my hardware. Debian also has more software packages to choose from.
Although die hard Redhat users swear by their distro's

Cheers
Wdhpr
wdhpr is offline   Reply With Quote