View Single Post
Old 25. Feb 2010, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Anupam
Super Moderator

If you can get Windows 7 for less, and your hardware will support it, then I think you should go for it. It will take some time, before you get familiar with it, and start to like it though. I have worked with Vista a little, and it was not to my liking. I have not worked with Windows 7 that much, but to me it looks same as Vista... maybe they have improved things a little, or more. I find it quite slow to startup. I haven't played enough with it, so can't say much.

From security point, Windows 7 should be the choice. Although, you can make XP secure too, with all its updates and third party security software. But, still, I would advise to go for Windows 7 if you can.

About double booting with Windows, newer Linux distros come equipped with the means to achieve this. Although, I am not using Linux, nor I have a double boot system, but I intend to set up Linux soon on my old PC. I have been reading up... and I found, the newer distros really make it easy to set up a dual boot system.

openSUSE was the best in this. By default, it will detect the Windows partition, and leave it safe, and will also automatically suggest, the partitioning for your Linux distro. You don't have to worry about anything at all. Once done, it will setup your dual boot with its boot mananger, mostly Grub, and at the time of booting, you can choose the OS.

Most of the time, you won't have any problem, but its advisable to backup the Windows data, in case anything goes wrong.

You should take a look at the link Jojoyee gave.

Here is another link :

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/d...-7-ubuntu.html

The above site also contains reviews of popular Linux distros, in case you want to choose a distro. The site contains a Windows 7 guide too.