View Single Post
Old 01. Feb 2010, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ritho

I found a few references to the fact that it is preferable to connect a powerline router or Ethernet bridge to a common circuit breaker panel. (I am not entirely sure what that means though, but I assume it means any wiring circuits connected to different breakers in the electrical "tree" after main should work fine.)

I found this reference on a review for Linksys PLK200 Powerline AV.
Quote:
I was worried about mine living in a apartment building that the circuits may not be linked, but they were. I had no problems plugging in other rooms with different circuit breakers - since they are all on the same control panel. I guess it is possible that this is not always the case - depending on how your house is wired
This white paper (http://atheros.org/pt/plc/downloads/...Crossphase.pdf) mentions the terms "cross-phase coupling" which seems to be related to your question, and seems to address the issue of sending the ethernet over different breaker systems.

I got some pretty good search results using the the query "powerline ethernet breaker panel bridging" in Google search.

I also found these two websites (homeplug.org & upaplc.org) dedicated to "powerline communications."

Hope these help